Netflix Has Entered the Live Event/Sports Market

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,500.00

"Netflix is officially a player in live sporting events, a fray the streamer was previously reluctant to enter. Tuesday, Netflix announced a 10-year, $5 billion agreement to stream WWE Raw beginning in January 2025. Raw has aired on USA Network since 2005. Netflix has the option to cancel the 10-year deal with WWE after five years and has the option to extend the deal for an additional 10 years, according to a filing from WWE parent company TKO. A $500 million annual average is the most aggressive sum any broadcaster has invested in professional wrestling. Netflix is all in on WWE. And perhaps live sports."

New model for Netflix and once the infrastructure is in you have to think they are going to move into other avenues as well like the NBA, NHL or MLB if they can land any of them. Live sports are definitely a way to get subscribers.

Pffft...good luck with that. The CW's gonna kick their butts

Kinda shocked no discussion on this one.

It's a big change in the streaming landscape with Netflix going after live-streaming events.

Kinda shocked no discussion on this one.

It's a big change in the streaming landscape with Netflix going after live-streaming events.
they tried it with live standup to little fanfare. not excited they're wasting $500M a year on shit I'll never watch that could have went to producing shows and movies.

youtube already has the NFL sunday ticket and hulu has live sports was forever and a day ago, this ain't a new landscape for streaming.

they tried it with live standup to little fanfare. not excited they're wasting $500M a year on shit I'll never watch that could have went to producing shows and movies.

youtube already has the NFL sunday ticket and hulu has live sports was forever and a day ago, this ain't a new landscape for streaming.
Yes it isn’t a new landscape for streaming but it’s a big step that Netflix is getting into the market and potentially becoming a bidder for content from leagues like the NBA in the future.

Most streamers are struggling and there are talks about mergers and bundling already happening so this is could be a big deal. Right now Netflix has positioned themselves as one of the few profitable streamers but what has differentiated some of the others are live events particularly sports.

The WWE is way for them to dip their toe in the water and if successful could make bidding for sports broadcasting that much interesting and if successful could force others out of the market.

Right now the needle isn’t moving but it has potential to do so.

Yes it isn’t a new landscape for streaming but it’s a big step that Netflix is getting into the market and potentially becoming a bidder for content from leagues like the NBA in the future.

Most streamers are struggling and there are talks about mergers and bundling already happening so this is could be a big deal. Right now Netflix has positioned themselves as one of the few profitable streamers but what has differentiated some of the others are live events particularly sports.

The WWE is way for them to dip their toe in the water and if successful could make bidding for sports broadcasting that much interesting and if successful could force others out of the market.

Right now the needle isn’t moving but it has potential to do so.
is wrestling really sports?

Peacock had it, no one gave a shit.

Baseball already has the odd game on Youtube, Facebook, Apple, etc...
Football already doing Prime and Peacock

I hope NBA doesn't start doing that shit.

Cool so the subscription fee is going to go up again for Wrestling that I haven't watched since the 90s.

Cool so the subscription fee is going to go up again for Wrestling that I haven't watched since the 90s.
i'll give netflix this, they went the better route in hiking up their prices than Prime. Prime jacked up their prices then came back and said we're going to institute adds unless you pay more. Netflix was like we're raising your prices, if you want to pay less, we'll have ads.

The thing is, the more money Netflix makes, the more Amazon makes since Netflix runs on AWS.