NIL Waste of Money

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 140,000.00
Colin Cowherd just dropped some bombs on NIL. He says unless you already have 4 things you are wasting money on NIL. Blocking, tackling, coaching and culture, without those forget about it. Said he couldn’t tell you who the NIL star was on the teams this year that have all those things, but we know who the NIL star is on USC. Truths.

Colin Cowherd just dropped some bombs on NIL. He says unless you already have 4 things you are wasting money on NIL. Blocking, tackling, coaching and culture, without those forget about it. Said he couldn’t tell you who the NIL star was on the teams this year that have all those things, but we know who the NIL star is on USC. Truths.

He's absolutely right.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have a coach that can put the pieces together, get them lined up right, instill a unity culture, have the players buy in, and manage games, you get your tejas', Florida's, USC's, etc.

There is also a problem with coaching being a fraternity. You have head coaches that have loyalty to buddies and don't want to fire them for poor performance in their phase of the game.

No shit? Kind of like NFL teams have to spend so much on competent quarterbacks they can't afford pieces around them.

I saw first hand where an all star lineup gets you with no pitching with some Mariners teams in the 90s.

What's the point here? Good teams need to be good at more than just their star positions?

:ipw:

That is stupid. You need NIL to get the talent in order to block and tackle. If you don’t have that talent in your program there isn’t a coach that can win. You don’t have to just spend NIL on skill positions

No shit? Kind of like NFL teams have to spend so much on competent quarterbacks they can't afford pieces around them.

I saw first hand where an all star lineup gets you with no pitching with some Mariners teams in the 90s.

What's the point here? Good teams need to be good at more than just their star positions?

:ipw:
The point is exactly what OP said. Teams that drop a bunch of NIL on a QB - UTjr as an example - are going to see that it doesn't work for the 4 reasons stated in the OP. You say no shit like it's obvious ... I actually agree because I have been saying the same thing since NIL started. But teams like Miami, UTjr, USC and others certainly don't get it like you, OP, and I do.

That is stupid. You need NIL to get the talent in order to block and tackle. If you don’t have that talent in your program there isn’t a coach that can win. You don’t have to just spend NIL on skill positions

Teams had loads of talent before NIL, but failed miserably when it came to winning.

Let me look..... Oh here's one.. 👀

1700676416617.png

The point is exactly what OP said. Teams that drop a bunch of NIL on a QB - UTjr as an example - are going to see that it doesn't work for the 4 reasons stated in the OP. You say no shit like it's obvious ... I actually agree because I have been saying the same thing since NIL started. But teams like Miami, UTjr, USC and others certainly don't get it like you, OP, and I do.
Exactly. The programs that get the prioritization wrong are just pissing in the wind. See Texas A&M. Of the 4 things mentioned culture is no 1. You aren’t winning anything without it.

Exactly. The programs that get the prioritization wrong are just pissing in the wind. See Texas A&M. Of the 4 things mentioned culture is no 1. You aren’t winning anything without it.

I've always seen 'culture' as a by-product of the head coach. If they're winning the games that they should it improves the teams confidence, unity, and work ethic.

They're not going to get that if the head coach isn't getting the pieces put together and getting the players lined up right.

When Frost came into Nebraska, one of the first things he talked about was the players lacking 'culture'. Basically locker room, weight room, training table, and film room culture. Said culture feeds off the head coach.

Unfortunately Frost was never able to create that 'culture'.

He's absolutely right.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have a coach that can put the pieces together, get them lined up right, instill a unity culture, have the players buy in, and manage games, you get your tejas', Florida's, USC's, etc.

There is also a problem with coaching being a fraternity. You have head coaches that have loyalty to buddies and don't want to fire them for poor performance in their phase of the game.
True, cuts both ways. But there are also some damn good coaches that had all those things yet they didn’t have enough talent to win it all. Bill Snyder comes to mind. Ain’t going to win it all without good coaching and you ain’t going to win it all without a lot of 4*/5* talent!

You aren’t winning without talent either. Name a team in the last 10 years that won a natty without a roster full of 4*/5*s.

True, cuts both ways. But there are also some damn good coaches that had all those things yet they didn’t have enough talent to win it all. Bill Snyder comes to mind. Ain’t going to win it all without good coaching and you ain’t going to win it all without a lot of 4*/5* talent!

Even winning it all with a ton of talent typically takes a little luck somewhere along the season.

Tom Osborne always said that.

Even winning it all with a ton of talent typically takes a little luck somewhere along the season.

Tom Osborne always said that.
I agree. And the timing of those breaks can sometimes be as important as the break itself. While they didn’t win it all, TCU got several timely breaks along the way last year.

Teams had loads of talent before NIL, but failed miserably when it came to winning.

View attachment 111795
the OL was never as good as it has been the last two years here in Austin... If you actually look at rankings and the bluechip players.. the highest amount were at the skill positions or tweeners.. Think the pancake factory had nothing to do with that?

the OL was never as good as it has been the last two years here in Austin... If you actually look at rankings and the bluechip players.. the highest amount were at the skill positions or tweeners.. Think the pancake factory had nothing to do with that?

Which leads me back to what I said about a head coach needing to put the pieces together.

tejas is surrounded by loads of recruiting talent at every position, yet look at the results.

Which leads me back to what I said about a head coach needing to put the pieces together.

tejas is surrounded by loads of recruiting talent at every position, yet look at the results.
sure you can be surrounded by talent.. but if you look closer at those classes they were top heavy at skill positions.. they were light in the trenches.. Sark figured that shit out ASAP once he got here. What I love about the guy is unlike Tom, he didn't place the blame on his predecessor. All Sark said was that he would re-do the numbers at certain positions. Never threw Tom under the bus

Snyder was fantastic but where he messed up in my opinion was not transitioning to a better schedule after he had success. His teams weren’t ready for that first real tough conference game because he scheduled horrible teams ooc.

View attachment 111795
This is even dumber, but expected from you. I know you have to post about your scorned lover whenever you get the chance. NIL wasn’t around for those seasons. That is 30 seconds I will never get back. Now tell me about all the teams that won NCs without 4/5 stars

Snyder was fantastic but where he messed up in my opinion was not transitioning to a better schedule after he had success. His teams weren’t ready for that first real tough conference game because he scheduled horrible teams ooc.
Snyder was a great coach and got everything out of his talent. The issue was he rarely had high level talent. That is why he usually came up short.

sure you can be surrounded by talent.. but if you look closer at those classes they were top heavy at skill positions.. they were light in the trenches.. Sark figured that shit out ASAP once he got here. What I love about the guy is unlike Tom, he didn't place the blame on his predecessor. All Sark said was that he would re-do the numbers at certain positions. Never threw Tom under the bus

You gotta be good in both trenches to win. Amazing a coach making $millions wouldn't know that.