Nuclear fusion

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 3,154.00
There is no reason the US is not leading the way here.

Nuclear fusion has been touted as the holy grail of clean energy production, however it remains a long way off from being realised outside of a lab despite decades of research into the technology.

Replicating the physics of the actual sun, nuclear fusion reactors merge atomic nuclei in order to generate massive amounts of energy that can be turned into electricity.

The process requires no fossil fuels and leaves behind no hazardous waste materials, unlike the nuclear fission process that powers commercial nuclear energy production. Physicists also claim that there is also far less risk of an environmental disaster.

Physicists also claim that there is also far less risk of an environmental disaster.
Yeah well they say a lot of goofy shit that they never seem able to backup lately.

Cold fusion, if possible, would be the only way. The deal is that mass and energy are interchangeable and are simply different versions of each other.

The amount of heat generated during fusion is the problem. Solve that and you may be on to something. Until then, it's a great theory only.

Yeah well they say a lot of goofy shit that they never seem able to backup lately.

Cold fusion, if possible, would be the only way. The deal is that mass and energy are interchangeable and are simply different versions of each other.

The amount of heat generated during fusion is the problem. Solve that and you may be on to something. Until then, it's a great theory only.

I would think the heat to be something more to convert to energy.

I would think the heat to be something more to convert to energy.
Heat is energy. It's the amount of heat. So much so that it would melt anything used to contain it.

You would need a magnetic field to contain it. Invent that and you may be onto something....

Heat is energy. It's the amount of heat. So much so that it would melt anything used to contain it.

You would need a magnetic field to contain it. Invent that and you may be onto something....

From the article...

A nuclear fusion reactor in China has set a new record for sustained high temperatures after running five-times hotter than the Sun for more than 17 minutes, according to state media.

It seems to me the heat is exactly what they were going for...even bragging about a record. It must be contained or controlled in some manner.

It's not much of a stretch to believe they have the ability to release that energy in a controlled manner.

From the article...

A nuclear fusion reactor in China has set a new record for sustained high temperatures after running five-times hotter than the Sun for more than 17 minutes, according to state media.

It seems to me the heat is exactly what they were going fo...even bragging about a record. They already have a containment system....obviously.

It's not much of a stretch to believe they have the ability to release that energy in a controlled manner.

Did it fuse? It would be a first and it would be all over the news.

It's not the heat of the sun that causes fusion....it's the mass and the gravitational forces that mass has on the sun's hydrogen nuclei to fuse to form the heavier helium.

Did it fuse? It would be a first and it would be all over the news.

It's not the heat of the sun that causes fusion....it's the mass and the gravitational forces that mass has on the sun's hydrogen nuclei to fuse to form the heavier helium.

I don't know and nobody can really trust anything out of china. Which is why I was wondering why the US isn't more involved. I would much rather this out of our government than the current push and hoax of batteries powered by solar as hope for a better future.

the US is involved in the ITER reactor project, which China is also a member

What OP is referring to is China's HL-2M project, which is their own thing

Membership
23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China
23px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png
European Union
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png
India
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Others:

23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
Australia
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
23px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png
Kazakhstan
23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.png
Thailand
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
United Kingdom (under the EU's Fusion for Energy)
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
Switzerland (as member of EURATOM)

Does it involve uranium??? Cause I'm balls deep in yellow cake stocks right now $$$$$

I don't know and nobody can really trust anything out of china. Which is why I was wondering why the US isn't more involved. I would much rather this out of our government than the current push and hoax of batteries powered by solar as hope for a better future.
Just say you are going to put a bunch of panels around it and everyone will get behind it.

I’m well out of my league on such things…but reading this as a layman…it’s interesting, but there seems there will be lots of things that have to be done to get to a solid energy source that this could promise. Lots of challenging things.

the US is involved in the ITER reactor project, which China is also a member

What OP is referring to is China's HL-2M project, which is their own thing

This is very interesting. Mostly over my head, but I’m following enough to get the appeal of doing it.

Does this create similar challenges that existing nuclear has, like contamination events or waste disposal challenges?

This is what this thing looks like ...

I’m real high right now.

Not gonna lie, that thing kinda scared me.

But I’m not so high that I can’t use the Google machine. That is video of a rocket launch last month. Their fake sun project is indoor only. Which seems totally safe and not worrisome at fucking all…