Nuclear fusion

This is very interesting. Mostly over my head, but I’m following enough to get the appeal of doing it.

Does this create similar challenges that existing nuclear has, like contamination events or waste disposal challenges?
Nothing radioactive about it.

No idea how it isn’t melting/burning everything remotely close though.

Back to being kinda scared of this again.

That video isn’t a rocket. It’s obviously a cheap knockoff fake Chinese sun.

This is very interesting. Mostly over my head, but I’m following enough to get the appeal of doing it.

Does this create similar challenges that existing nuclear has, like contamination events or waste disposal challenges?
not to my knowledge, no.

I’m real high right now.

Not gonna lie, that thing kinda scared me.

But I’m not so high that I can’t use the Google machine. That is video of a rocket launch last month. Their fake sun project is indoor only. Which seems totally safe and not worrisome at fucking all…

Ya know....I'm actually relieved to learn something that was supposed to be burning at 70 million C wasn't just floating around all willie nillie.

Also funny that this tweet was put together and made it onto mainstream media.

Way over my head....other than the flashy lights being all pretty, I don't have much input.

Also, I will say that contamination is real, but not the issue you may think it is.

Also, we currently don't have any waste disposal challenges from a site to site basis. All nuclear waste is contained and controlled on site by the site owner. The "issue" is that the government has promised to take ownership and have not found a solution for how to do so...thus Yucca Mountain

There is no reason the US is not leading the way here.

Nuclear fusion has been touted as the holy grail of clean energy production, however it remains a long way off from being realised outside of a lab despite decades of research into the technology.

Replicating the physics of the actual sun, nuclear fusion reactors merge atomic nuclei in order to generate massive amounts of energy that can be turned into electricity.

The process requires no fossil fuels and leaves behind no hazardous waste materials, unlike the nuclear fission process that powers commercial nuclear energy production. Physicists also claim that there is also far less risk of an environmental disaster.
Should have done this decades ago. Solve climate change. Solve energy crisis, increase production...

I don't think the technology was there a decade ago...
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, just kind of came I here thinking about nuclear power in general. Wasn't paying attention to the fusion aspect of it.

But in any case, we should have been using fission energy for decades until we get to mass fusion plants.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, just kind of came I here thinking about nuclear power in general. Wasn't paying attention to the fusion aspect of it.

But in any case, we should have been using fission energy for decades until we get to mass fusion plants.
we still have a good number of fusion plants operating in the US

and small modular reactors are getting a lot of attention lately...

so we are