Ohtani’s value just took a big hit

I was just talking to someone about how I don't really get how anyone could ever pay the next contract that people are talking about. $600 mil+. I get he brings another market to the table and a lot of money with him. But he's been having nagging arm and side injuries all season. And now potentially a second TJ surgery which is historically a killer. Going to pay a guy like he's worth two players. Well when he gets hurt, which is highly likely for pitchers and he already has a history, you're now without your top hitter and pitcher.

With that said, he's been battling these nagging injuries this year and still putting up insane numbers.
It's an interesting question on how much he's worth. Getting him is like having a good #2 starter and an mvp caliber hitter. On the flipside, an injury kind of takes out two of your best players at once.

UCL tear, won’t pitch again this year. Terrible timing for the guy. Already had one Tommy John surgery, and a second is usually a career killer for a pitcher, hopefully he can avoid having it this time

fucking angels should have traded his broken down ass.

i see what you did there GIF

and with the Angels being my 2nd favorite team

I Dont Like You GIF by Venom Movie

Maybe. The smart play is to avoid a guy on his second Tommy John surgery (if it comes to that), but there are always a good 6-7 really stupid teams in MLB willing to overpay.
Steve Cohen is on line 2

For 2024 he is a DH only, won't be able to play much in the field. An elite bat that can't play defense isn't nearly as valuable as where he was two weeks ago, an elite bat + OF ability + elite pitcher. Now he is just 1 of those things.

Plus he's in the category where he wants to be a pitcher no matter what and as a superstar no one will tell him "no", so this is going to keep happening to whomever he plays for. I read where even after exiting game 1 he forced his way into the lineup to hit in game 2. You don't spend $500m+ on a player who isn't going to listen to reason.

i just wonder if a trade wasn't really there.
I doubt anyone was lining up to drop the big name prospect/player that LAA front office would have needed to justify moving on from the fan favorite Ohtani.

I doubt anyone was lining up to drop the big name prospect/player that LAA front office would have needed to justify moving on from the fan favorite Ohtani.
The only way a trade would happen would be to a team that had real aspirations of signing him. Mets sold, Yankees stood Pat while they should have sold, Dodgers aren’t ones to sell the farm.

No way was a team like the Rays or Orioles gonna trade top prospects for a sure rental.

Before the injury, I would have bet the house on the Dodgers signing him in the offseason. Now I think he’s either gonna stay an Angel or go to a stupid team like the Yankees. I hate the Dodgers, but they have the only FO that I’d put on the same level as the Braves

The only way a trade would happen would be to a team that had real aspirations of signing him. Mets sold, Yankees stood Pat while they should have sold, Dodgers aren’t ones to sell the farm.

No way was a team like the Rays or Orioles gonna trade top prospects for a sure rental.

Before the injury, I would have bet the house on the Dodgers signing him in the offseason. Now I think he’s either gonna stay an Angel or go to a stupid team like the Yankees. I hate the Dodgers, but they have the only FO that I’d put on the same level as the Braves
If Ohtani is smart he signs a 1 year deal with someone to be his rehab year then hits the FA market in 2025 hopefully fully healthy. In fact I bet he could spin some goodwill out of this by signing a 1 year extension with LAA and PR can fluff it up as "giving back to the team that believed in me and didn't trade me".

If Ohtani is smart he signs a 1 year deal with someone to be his rehab year then hits the FA market in 2025 hopefully fully healthy. In fact I bet he could spin some goodwill out of this by signing a 1 year extension with LAA and PR can fluff it up as "giving back to the team that believed in me and didn't trade me".
This late in the year, he probably won’t be able to pitch until a couple months into the 2025 season.

He’s a marketing dream with the Japanese market, so he’ll still get paid, but I think he’d be better off signing long term incase another injury happens. This will be his second TJ, and the second one is much harder to come back from than the first

This late in the year, he probably won’t be able to pitch until a couple months into the 2025 season.

He’s a marketing dream with the Japanese market, so he’ll still get paid, but I think he’d be better off signing long term incase another injury happens. This will be his second TJ, and the second one is much harder to come back from than the first

If its TJ and he has it in 2023 he would def be able to start 2025. But start would be the only guarantee. Who knows when the arm goes again.

If its TJ and he has it in 2023 he would def be able to start 2025. But start would be the only guarantee. Who knows when the arm goes again.
I don’t think he’d be ready to pitch opening day 2025. He’s gonna be DHing next season. It’s gonna be a tough road for him to get back on the mound. I don’t doubt he will, but it won’t be easy

I don’t think he’d be ready to pitch opening day 2025. He’s gonna be DHing next season. It’s gonna be a tough road for him to get back on the mound. I don’t doubt he will, but it won’t be easy
He may even say fuck all and go back to Japan. He would still get paid well(not MLB level) and be a national hero.

He may even say fuck all and go back to Japan. He would still get paid well(not MLB level) and be a national hero.
Possible, but I kinda doubt it. I mean, he’s still likely gonna get 300+ million from some MLB team, just not the 500 million that was being thrown around before the injury.

I was really hoping the Cubs would take a stab at him this offseason.....and actually still do......

His bat is still valuable and if hes able to still pitch,he possibly could stay in the rottation and miss every other start........it could still prolong that part of his career..........