Paying Players Superthread

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 25,000.00
There is nothing ‘amateur’ about college football (except you wanting to call it that). It’s a multi-billion dollar industry where the schools, athletic departments, coaches, vendors, tv stations, merchandisers, etc all make millions upon millions.
The principals, the players actually doing the work, don’t get to negotiate for their own compensation.
If all the petroleum companies formed the National Petroleum Association of America (NPAA), and that association dictated that all new petroleum engineers had to work for 30k and room and board for a couple of years, the masses and the federal government would be dropping the metaphorical hammer on such an unamerican, unfair, illegal, laughable monopoly.
For some reason, because it's the status quo, fools support (and the government abets) the N(C)AA.
The principals (college athletes) not getting a chance to profit off of their work and talent nor negotiate their compensation in a multi billion dollar industry is an asinine proposition.

100% agreed, but the best we’re gonna get is allowing players to profit on their own likeness(the fact this was ever against the rules should have gotten someone hanged for treason).

Title IX and welfare sports and all that

nb4 'coming from a Texas fan' amirite?

I disagree, but will leave it at that. Here is a formal debate on the matter, not that anyone will watch... but whatevs.

100% agreed, but the best we’re gonna get is allowing players to profit on their own likeness(the fact this was ever against the rules should have gotten someone hanged for treason).

Title IX and welfare sports and all that
Let's start with this and things like players who gets injured making the school money not getting stuck with their own medical bills. Schools want to profit off them then they should cover them when they get medical issues in the process.

But you're right outright paying athletes is going to get tricky because of Title IX et al. and I don't think those athletes who are demanding to being treated the same as football players while crying sexism will like it when their sport is on the chopping block to compensate.

Let's start with this and things like players who gets injured making the school money not getting stuck with their own medical bills. Schools want to profit off them then they should cover them when they get medical issues in the process.
This I do agree with however.

If the value of an expensive education, developing your talent, building relationships that will help you later in life and having it better than 90% of the students on campus isn't enough for you then don't play sports and do it the same way most students go to school: take out some some loans and work odd jobs to get by. You didn't build that university or its sports program; you're the beneficiary of thousands of people who went before you and have provided you with a great opportunity to play a sport you love and give you an opportunity to enjoy being in the limelight. God gave you that talent and you're damn lucky to have it. Be thankful for it and stop acting like everyone owes you something because you have been blessed with an opportunity a lot of people can only dream about.

If the value of an expensive education, developing your talent, building relationships that will help you later in life and having it better than 90% of the students on campus isn't enough for you then don't play sports and do it the same way most students go to school: take out some some loans and work odd jobs to get by. You didn't build that university or its sports program; you're the beneficiary of thousands of people who went before you and have provided you with a great opportunity to play a sport you love and give you an opportunity to enjoy being in the limelight. God gave you that talent and you're damn lucky to have it. Be thankful for it and stop acting like everyone owes you something because you have been blessed with an opportunity a lot of people can only dream about.
Would you accept this sophistry in any other multi billion profit industry? Lmao. Status quo warrior.

“You didn’t build that COMPANY or it’s ENGINEERING DEPT, you’re the beneficiary of thousands of SCIENTISTS before you who allow you to work in the FIELD you love...”
Dunce.

Would you accept this sophistry in any other multi billion profit industry? Lmao. Status quo warrior.

“You didn’t build that COMPANY or it’s ENGINEERING DEPT, you’re the beneficiary of thousands of SCIENTISTS before you who allow you to work in the FIELD you love...”
Dunce.
Hey, shit head, I've built dozens of companies. Owned a lot more companies I've taken over and improved through the years creating a lot of good paying jobs and paying taxes out the wazoo so stuff your BS about being a status quo warrior. You're too damn simple minded to argue with; that's why most of the people on this website make fun of you. I've got your type nailed cold. You haven't got the slightest clue about the difference between gross sales, cost of sales, SG&A, EBITDA, depreciation schedules, carry forwards, Net or whatever. You think those athletic departments are cutting a fat hog in the ass with a dull knife but you don't have the business skills to run a taco stand. Most of the players have your mentality and it's all gonna fall apart when the business model for college sports inevitably comes apart at the seams. I hope it gets here as soon as possible so we can stop listening to you simpletons cry about all the exploitation of these (NOT) indentured servants. Your school just jacked off millions to dump a head coach. LMAO I've also made a note not to take advice from anybody associated with the UT athletic department.

Hey, shit head, I've built dozens of companies. Owned a lot more companies I've taken over and improved through the years creating a lot of good paying jobs and paying taxes out the wazoo so stuff your BS about being a status quo warrior. You're too damn simple minded to argue with; that's why most of the people on this website make fun of you. I've got your type nailed cold. You haven't got the slightest clue about the difference between gross sales, cost of sales, SG&A, EBITDA, depreciation schedules, carry forwards, Net or whatever. You think those athletic departments are cutting a fat hog in the ass with a dull knife but you don't have the business skills to run a taco stand. Most of the players have your mentality and it's all gonna fall apart when the business model for college sports inevitably comes apart at the seams. I hope it gets here as soon as possible so we can stop listening to you simpletons cry about all the exploitation of these (NOT) indentured servants. Your school just jacked off millions to dump a head coach. LMAO I've also made a note not to take advice from anybody associated with the UT athletic department.
Oh, look... word salad to hide the fact that you didn’t argue against a single point I made. You, mister master business developer, should know more than anyone that not letting principals (employees) negotiate for their compensation under a monopoly isn’t anything YOU YOURSELF have ever done as a MASTER BIZ OWNER. Dunce.

Dunce.
It's a contract. The kids get what the university offers and the university get what the kids offer with agreed terms. If the kid... or adult doesn't like the terms, then they don't have to sign.

It's a contract. The kids get what the university offers and the university get what the kids offer with agreed terms. If the kid... or adult doesn't like the terms, then they don't have to sign.
A contract made under a monopoly. Lmao. You can’t be this dumb and obtuse.

College Athletics is the great form of internship in the country.

College Athletics is the great form of internship in the country.
I’m going to take this as the outright joke it must have been meant to be. Good one.

it would be cool if y'all would use this same energy to ask why the NFL doesn't have a proper developmental league