Pick Your Preferred Turkey Cooking Method

Preferred method?

• Smoked

• Fried

• Oven Baked

• Canned Turkey Mixed in Potato Salad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Brined, then oven roasted at 325 degrees, 20 mins per pound, with sliced apple, garlic and rosemary in the cavity. Basted, more than occasionally, less than frequently.

My preferred turkey cooking method is... "let somebody else do it".

...I'll be happy with whichever means it's prepared.

I'd like to try a smoked turkey again. I did it one year in my BGE and it turned out so-so; good flavor, but I didn't do a good job of retaining moisture. Ever since then, it's just been roasted in the oven. The last few years, the wife likes cooking it in bags.

Not sure if I want a fire in my driveway from attempting a fried bird, but I wouldn't mind trying some. The best Thanksgiving is the leftovers the next day, anyway.
Yeah, they will get dry if you do not brine your turkey before you smoke it.

I’ve enjoyed using this meat, church bird brine. I warm the brine up on a stove top to get everything to dissolve. Let that brine cool and then I pour the brine over the turkey in a clean 5 gallon bucket, fill the rest up with cold tap water and set it in the refrigerator overnight. Guaranteed moist turkey in the smoker.

Attachments

• 1700605019505.png
    1700605019505.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 1
So if you’re going to smoke a turkey, I definitely believe in the spatchcock method. It definitely makes for an even cook on the meat and then of course it’s much easier to cut the turkey once you’re done. I spatchcock whole chickens as well.
This a newer video from my guy over at meat church. He lives in Texas but he’s a Bama fan.

Yeah, they will get dry if you do not brine your turkey before you smoke it.

I’ve enjoyed using this meat, church bird brine. I warm the brine up on a stove top to get everything to dissolve. Let that brine cool and then I pour the brine over the turkey in a clean 5 gallon bucket, fill the rest up with cold tap water and set it in the refrigerator overnight. Guaranteed moist turkey in the smoker.
I did brine it, this was a case of not being attentive. It was definitely in the days before my new temp controller. Maybe one year when we're not hosting a larger group of people, my wife will let me try again. Until then, no one needs 20 lbs of lunch meat.

I did brine it, this was a case of not being attentive. It was definitely in the days before my new temp controller. Maybe one year when we're not hosting a larger group of people, my wife will let me try again. Until then, no one needs 20 lbs of lunch meat.
20 lbs of roast turkey 'lunch meat' probably wouldn't last me a week after T-Day. Even as a kid, my Mom used to tell me that I could eat turkey sandwiches until they're coming outta my ears! MY fave 'sandwich meat'.

I usually buy 5-6 (20 lbs+) turkeys this time of year and take TWO to my friends place the night before t-day and let their wives/gfs do their preps.

The other 3-4 go into the freezer, so I can can have REAL turkey sandwiches other times of the year too. They're so damn cheap this time of year... $0.49/lb - $0.98/lb :nod:

20 lbs of roast turkey 'lunch meat' probably wouldn't last me a week after T-Day. Even as a kid, my Mom used to tell me that I could eat turkey sandwiches until they're coming outta my ears! MY fave 'sandwich meat'.

I usually buy 5-6 (20 lbs+) turkeys this time of year and take TWO to my friends place the night before t-day and let their wives/gfs do their preps.

The other 3-4 go into the freezer, so I can can have REAL turkey sandwiches other times of the year too. They're so damn cheap this time of year... $0.49/lb - $0.98/lb :nod:
Roast turkey, yes- I love the 'Thanksgiving Day' sandwich the next day. But smoked turkey is lunchmeat to me, and I'd take about 6 other things on two slices of bread before intentionally ordering it.

My wife's noted the price before in the past, saying shouldn't we consider getting TWO birds, and keeping one for later.

So I smoke it on the traeget for a hour then I cover it it with foil til it’s cooked with apple juice in the pan til it’s done. Nice and juicy. Just like we all like it

Roast turkey, yes- I love the 'Thanksgiving Day' sandwich the next day. But smoked turkey is lunchmeat to me, and I'd take about 6 other things on two slices of bread before intentionally ordering it.

My wife's noted the price before in the past, saying shouldn't we consider getting TWO birds, and keeping one for later.
Okay. Now that I think about it... I don't think I have ever had "smoked" turkey before. :noidea:

Ah, well... :biggrin:

Brining currently. Will inject with Cajun butter. Then smoked.

I used to pick turkey for Thanksgiving and goose for Christmas. But goose has gotten so expensive, like 9.99 a pound and a decent goose has to be at least 10-11 pounds. I splurge every couple of years for it.

Reserve the goose fat for other frying. It's outstanding.

I used to pick turkey for Thanksgiving and goose for Christmas. But goose has gotten so expensive, like 9.99 a pound and a decent goose has to be at least 10-11 pounds. I splurge every couple of years for it.

Reserve the goose fat for other frying. It's outstanding.
Me too. It's hard to even find at more than a couple places where you have to special order it. I'm not about to buy turkey for Xmas tho.

Smoked turducken will be started tomorrow for the meat eaters.
Crispy Sage Tofu for those that value health, both mental and physical.

If you do both ham and turkey, baste the turkey with pan drippings from the ham.

Also, don't cook the turkey to done temps. Let the last 10 degrees happen while it is resting. Much juicier bird.

Salt and herb dry brine the night before. Day of you wash it off and the put herb butter under and over the skin. Inject the breast with some marinate liquid of your choice. The reason I don’t deep fry is that I like to actually stuff the bird with stuffing. All the shit you put into the bird soaks up into the stuffing and it’s the best part.

Just put one turkey into the frying pot.

Injecting the second with creole butter.