Playoffs need to extend to at least 8 teams

No team with 2 losses has ever made the playoffs. One made the BCS NCG, but none have made the playoffs. Auburn would have in 2017 had they won the SECCG, but they lost.

When the committee picked Alabama over Ohio State in 2017 and when they picked Ohio State over Penn State in 2016, they showed keeping your losses to 1 is more important than winning your conference

Yeah, BCS was what I was talking about.

Perhaps the Pac-12 should try not being 4-19 versus ranked OOC opponents over the last 4 years and it might improve their playoff prospects...

Or maybe they can do like the SEC and play a bunch of OOC cupcakes and ride the coattails of 1 team while crowing about what a "tough conference" they are.

Bullshit. They can’t even find a 4th deserving team any given year. When the controversy is over two deserving teams who have a legit chance for #4 you can talk about expanding, but that has yet to be the case in 8 years or whatever.

Bullshit. They can’t even find a 4th deserving team any given year. When the controversy is over two deserving teams who have a legit chance for #4 you can talk about expanding, but that has yet to be the case in 8 years or whatever.

The way it's set up now, of course not. The majority of the top recruits are going to the same 3 or 4 schools because those are the only schools that can legitimately sell the cfp to a recruit, let alone win an NC.

Expand the playoffs and more teams can legitimately use that as a recruiting tool. That should help other schools land some of the talent. We've seen a similar thing happen in college basketball. Teams like Gonzaga that used to just be happy to make the tournament and get stomped in the first round are now highly ranked and competing for championships fairly regularly.

Right now, no PAC team can legitimately sell a cfp berth or NC possibility to recruits. With an expanded playoff they could.

Or maybe they can do like the SEC and play a bunch of OOC cupcakes and ride the coattails of 1 team while crowing about what a "tough conference" they are.
You've played 68 OOC games in 4 years and 23 were ranked which includes bowl games...seems like you guys are getting your fair share of cake.

By contrast, if Alabama wins Monday night, the SEC will have 8 wins in the playoffs in the last 4 years, twice as many as the Pac-12 has wins over ranked teams OOC,over that span, lol, weak.

Depends on the conference. A PAC champion with 1 loss isn't getting into the playoffs unless another conference champion has 2 losses. The Big 12 champ isn't getting in with 1 loss if they're up against any conference champion other than the PAC champion.
Also depends on SOS including OOC. Oregon beating OSU or USC beating Bama would go along a way.

The way it's set up now, of course not. The majority of the top recruits are going to the same 3 or 4 schools because those are the only schools that can legitimately sell the cfp to a recruit, let alone win an NC.

Expand the playoffs and more teams can legitimately use that as a recruiting tool. That should help other schools land some of the talent. We've seen a similar thing happen in college basketball. Teams like Gonzaga that used to just be happy to make the tournament and get stomped in the first round are now highly ranked and competing for championships fairly regularly.

Right now, no PAC team can legitimately sell a cfp berth or NC possibility to recruits. With an expanded playoff they could.

hmmm

I see it more as elite coaches. Saban, Dabo, Urbs.
Day is riding Urbs coattails and doing a good job maintaining what he inherited. Could be elite.

Pick any era of CFB (pre-CFP) and there are only 2 or 3 "elite coaches" in those spans. Those coaches consistently had streaks of top 4 seasons and played for NC's. Said coaches just have an innate ability to put the pieces together and get people lined up right. A lot of that is communicating to their assistants what they want to do, and said assistants can communicate it to their players.
Saban loses assistants on the regular. He just plugs in a new one and they do his bidding. Consistency is an easy sell to recruits.

There is a lot of mediocrity in CFB today.

hmmm

I see it more as elite coaches. Saban, Dabo, Urbs.
Day is riding Urbs coattails and doing a good job maintaining what he inherited. Could be elite.

Pick any era of CFB (pre-CFP) and there are only 2 or 3 "elite coaches" in those spans. Those coaches consistently had streaks of top 4 seasons and played for NC's. Said coaches just have an innate ability to put the pieces together and get people lined up right. A lot of that is communicating to their assistants what they want to do, and said assistants can communicate it to their players.
Saban loses assistants on the regular. He just plugs in a new one and they do his bidding. Consistency is an easy sell to recruits.

There is a lot of mediocrity in CFB today.
This

Even with 64+ team playoffs in college basketball. Top players go to Top schools.

6 is better than 4. But I'm not really a fan of byes. Especially in college football.
Byes for 6 team CFP doesn't work ... the committee has gotten the 1 and 2 seed wrong about 80% of the time. Not conjecture, fact.

You do have to have byes the larger the CFP gets for 1 reason - it's not fair to have teams sitting at home will others play CCGs giving them time to rest up and look at tape. This is why the will go to 12 ... 5 auto-qualifier champs (with conditions on wins or ranking), selection of other 7 teams, and seeding 1-12 done by committee. Top 4 CCs are seeded 1-4 and get bye. Play-in weekend is the 2nd weekend of December, seeds 5-8 get home games against seeds 9-12. Perfect incentives - top 4 CCs get byes, next 4 teams get home games, lowest 4 seeds have to travel. Unreal weekend of football, even for you "weather" yankees who can't wait to see 12 seed Auburn playing in the snow against 8 seed Michigan (have to admit I'd enjoy watching that, once). Quarter-finals are played in 4 of the NY6 Bowls on Jan 1-ish. Semi-finals are played in the other 2 NY6 bowls on Jan 8-ish. CFP NC on the 15-ish.

Rule no. 1 - don' t mess with the money. That means we still play 12 games, have CCs, and the bowls are integral.

Main objections - too many teams - who gives a fuck, more football is better than less football ... the top teams will still win out 95% of the time. Regular season has to count ... right now the regular season hardly counts for 95% of the teams. The last third of the season there are maybe 1 or 2 slots up for grabs and maybe 4-6 teams in the hunt. This way about 20-30 teams will be in the hunt for a good part of the season, and then the last third will have 15-20 really in the hunt. Season lasts too long and too many games for college kids ... this only adds a few more games for the best teams and players. And, with the NIL legislation, plus free agency coming, the players won't be able to complain.

/thread

Quarter-finals are played in 4 of the NY6 Bowls on Jan 1-ish.
I'd rather see 2nd round games played at the 1-4 seeds home sites after their byes. I don't think it would be good to ask the two fan bases that make the finals to travel three times. We are already asking them to travel twice with the current CFP. JMO

I'd rather see 2nd round games played at the 1-4 seeds home sites after their byes. I don't think it would be good to ask the two fan bases that make the finals to travel three times. We are already asking them to travel twice with the current CFP. JMO
Fanbase travel issues are a bid deal, so I agree with you on that. However, you are still making CCs play an extra game than other teams they will play. You have to penalize teams 9-12, some of whom won't have played in a CC, and you have to penalize the losers of the CC who are getting a second crack (sometimes a third) a the CCs.

As I said, I agree with you on the fan travel which was a major objection for me to go to 8, 12 or 16. I have personal experience ... going to the CCG against Auburn, the Rose Bowl, then the NCG in Atlanta. I was lucky that two of those games were in Atlanta, but that still cost at least $15K. The home games in the play-in round lessens that ... only 10-20K travelling out of town to that game, and the home team can travel at low cost, and tickets for STH will be relatively inexpensive. But that does add travel - CCG/Play-in round, Quarters, Semis, NC. That's 4 games, but in my case only 3 as we would have gotten a byte. Incentive to be a top 4? More people get to go to games because demand will be lower, but still sell out? The bowls may not like it as more people will do hit and runs for the city, not stay for 3 or 4 days. But I think those days are over anyway ... not many people heading to NOLA for a regular Sugar Bowl.

You've played 68 OOC games in 4 years and 23 were ranked which includes bowl games...seems like you guys are getting your fair share of cake.

By contrast, if Alabama wins Monday night, the SEC will have 8 wins in the playoffs in the last 4 years, twice as many as the Pac-12 has wins over ranked teams OOC,over that span, lol, weak.

Weak is playing FCS cupcakes the week before rivalry games.

Every week would be cupcake week if we played a Pac-12 schedule. Remember that year we beat you 52-6 and then you couldn't even run the table on your shit conference and squeaked by a couple of Midwest pretenders and everybody said you were the #3 team in the country...lol, overrated just like this year, 4 struggle wins against mediocre competition and then a loss to a mediocre Oregon, but somehow y'all are still ranked...lol, sad. We all know the real reason you passed on a bowl game...didn't want to get boat raced.

Every week would be cupcake week if we played a Pac-12 schedule. Remember that year we beat you 52-6 and then you couldn't even run the table on your shit conference and squeaked by a couple of Midwest pretenders and everybody said you were the #3 team in the country...lol, overrated just like this year, 4 struggle wins against mediocre competition and then a loss to a mediocre Oregon, but somehow y'all are still ranked...lol, sad. We all know the real reason you passed on a bowl game...didn't want to get boat raced.

lol

None of which justifies the "best conference in the country" scheduling like pussies.

You can’t incorporate the FCS model to FBS and keep the “bowls”.
You actually can. It's called having neutral games with the same bowl games being presented.
because they don’t want an embarrassing attendance like Alabama vs Clemson in Santa Clara
boohoo.

Who cares when you take your bye week? Some teams load up with cupcakes early, giving them a "pre-season." The SEC starts conference games week 1. With all the "weak" teams we play, we still have the top SOS year in, year out. Also, scheduling is up to you ... if you do it badly that's on you and your conference.