Process Or Result?

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Not sure if this belongs here or in the PF but I think many of our current problems ard a result of people mislabeling things that are processes as results, and usually are done so for political reasons.

Science is a process, not a result. Yet we constantly hear things such as “it is truth” “the science is settled” etc.

Same with the word “justice”. People think it means a pre-determined outcome based on one’s own definition of morality. But it’s not a result, it’s a process too.

I don't think "science" is a process.

I think there is a scientific process in proving theories true or false, but the overall institution of "science" shouldn't be limited to a process.

The same goes for "justice"

there is a process that goes with it, but is more than just that.

those processes end in results.

I don't think "science" is a process.

I think there is a scientific process in proving theories true or false, but the overall institution of "science" shouldn't be limited to a process.

The same goes for "justice"

there is a process that goes with it, but is more than just that.

those processes end in results.
What you say for science is justifiable but justice in your usage is 2 completely different things.

What you say for science is justifiable but justice in your usage is 2 completely different things.
you don't agree that there is a process to justice?

it obviously isn't the same process as a scientific one, but there is still a process.

No. Justice from a philosophical view is about fairness. Justice from a judicial view is about law.
A philosophical view of Justice is in the eye of the beholder. No one philosophy would hold true from individual to individual.

A philosophical view of Justice is in the eye of the beholder. No one philosophy would hold true from individual to individual.
True, or so true. Even if we hold to near exact philosophies what constitutes a just action to me may be an unjust action to you.

Not sure if this belongs here or in the PF but I think many of our current problems ard a result of people mislabeling things that are processes as results, and usually are done so for political reasons.

Science is a process, not a result. Yet we constantly hear things such as “it is truth” “the science is settled” etc.

Same with the word “justice”. People think it means a pre-determined outcome based on one’s own definition of morality. But it’s not a result, it’s a process too.
Anyone saying this obviously isnt a scientist. they are constantly trying to disprove theories, (the process) which helps them come to their conclusions.
To this day there is someone out there right now wondering if the theory of gravity can be disproven. A well established Theory.

No. Justice from a philosophical view is about fairness. Justice from a judicial view is about law.
so in theory, the scientific process and justice shouldn't even be compared.

Anyone saying this obviously isnt a scientist. they are constantly trying to disprove theories, (the process) which helps them come to their conclusions.
To this day there is someone out there right now wondering if the theory of gravity can be disproven. A well established Theory.
there is some science that is pretty settled.

so in theory, the scientific process and justice shouldn't even be compared.

To me, no. Justice cannot be reduced to a process. Scientific process, or are you saying method, is a specific process.

Being settled and being truth are 2 different things. Settled science is always being challenged, just not successfully.
I agree, but there are scientific laws that are considered truth

When I was in college, I majored in engineering and physics. Learning that there is no absolute truth combined with an in depth study of Descarte had me sliding down the solipcist path. The idea of settled science allowed me to accept external realities.

Well there’s this guy. Fancies himself as one