Raise your hand if...

THIS is the way. Using an angle grinder or a file is a recipe for disaster. Take the blade off and use a mounted bench grinder. Better results and much safer.

Sorry OP, sounds painful.
I take the blade off, but it's a Honda so it has a bit of an unusual (and curved) blade, and two different blades to make up the mechanism. A few swipes with a metal file usually gets it right back to good (and did, as illustrated by taking my thumb off lol).

Nah man...gotta have the bench grinder.

View attachment 118713

Takes 2:00 minutes per blade.,tops. Another 30 minutes to pop off the deck, take off and re-install the blades
I have a walk behind so it takes just a couple minutes to pop the blades out and put them in my vice. My honda has these two layered blades which make using power tools a bit harder. The file takes just a couple minutes per edge

08720-vh7-000rp_114943_1000_2bc54159f7a8f69e056bbc18cd72af52.jpg

Man...I hate that. So you have my sympathy. I'm always getting cut up by something. I try to avoid losing digits though.

I think cleaning out the weeds wrapped up in the tines in my garden tiller is the worst. Tiller blades sharben up like a razor after going through the dirt and removing the grass between all that sharpness is a hazard that requires kevlar. I always come out of it cut up.

Hope you heal quickly and with as little pain as possible. A thump no less. ugh. You need your thumbs. Ask a monkey.
It's my dominant hand too. So I look like a gimp performing any task. You should have seen me trying to brush my teeth with my left hand lol

It's my dominant hand too. So I look like a gimp performing any task. You should have seen me trying to brush my teeth with my left hand lol
Hang in there, it will get easier. I broke my hand and had to have 4 pins put in back when I was still in school and had to do everything left handed. It was a handy skill to develop and has served me well over the years. I still brag that I am almost a hermaphrodite ...

I have a walk behind so it takes just a couple minutes to pop the blades out and put them in my vice. My honda has these two layered blades which make using power tools a bit harder. The file takes just a couple minutes per edge

This is my set up too.

I guess I have it down to an art form.
Take them off.
Sharpen all 4 cutting surfaces with grinder.
Re-install

Under 10 minutes

Also,.a couple years ago I found out I could buy a brand new blade for my push mower $40 online. So guess what I do now instead of sharpening? Lol

Also,.a couple years ago I found out I could buy a brand new blade for my push mower $40 online. So guess what I do now instead of sharpening? Lol
Those blades are like axes, they don't typically come very sharp - if dare I say - they come dull
He almost cut his thumb off while using a file. You want him to murder himself?
very true. I'd probably be without a hand.

THIS is the way. Using an angle grinder or a file is a recipe for disaster. Take the blade off and use a mounted bench grinder. Better results and much safer.

Sorry OP, sounds painful.
Or pay a professional to do it. Cheaper than paying for an ER visit.

Jimmy Fallon Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Nah man...gotta have the bench grinder.

View attachment 118713

Takes 2:00 minutes per blade.,tops. Another 30 minutes to pop off the deck, take off and re-install the blades
Riding mower maybe, but a push mower shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to remove, sharpen, install. Flip on its side with the carb down, put your foot against the blade so it won't spin, hit with an impact, sharpen, reinstall.

When I was in the shop we would charge $35 for a mower tune up that included an oil change, carb adjustment (none needed, ever), sharpen the blade, new plug and filter. I got an hourly rate and 10% commission. I love the spring time when we had a sea of mowers for tune ups. I would knock out 15-20 an hour. Great money for a dumb HS kid, roughly $85/hr. And if we needed to clean the carb it was $10 more and took another 2 minutes unless it was an MF'in Honda mower or Lawn Boy.

mulching blade. Way safer, and better, to remove it since they then separate and you can get a good edge on both.

Sharpen the one you took off and rotate, for tha win.