Recommendations: Gas powered leaf blowers.....go!

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 167.00
With a dozen or so Oak trees, plus trees in my neighbors' yards, I'm looking for recommendations for a gas powered leaf blower, with backpack options being my first thought. Leaves collect on my decks and flower beds and while I mulch/bag them with the John Deere E140, it's still a pain with underpowered or less mobile equipment.

I've got a corded Worx turbine blower from 5 years ago that does ok in the fall, but want to ditch the cord and increase power to move wet leaves in less time. I've got another Worx 20v leaf blower that is good to blow off the decks and driveway when mowing, that I'll keep for the light duty tasks. Also inherited a Ryobi 40v blower and string trimmer combo that was new in box, but has sat for at least 6+ years in the box. The battery looks to be DOA, even after trying to micro-charge it so the actual charger can do a full charge. Rather than buying a new battery, I may try to sell the blower and trimmer (still in packaging), along with the Worx turbine to knock off some of the cost of a backpack leaf blower.

I have an Echo handheld and it does a pretty decent job with my backyard but I have considered upgrading to a backpack...but it's all the same.

Last year I used a rake just as much as I used the blower.

Stihl makes a quality product...and def think you need to get the professional level product.
Their customer service and maintenance have been excellent over the years as well.

One of my rare instances of brand loyalty.

Reactions: ill
Stihl makes a quality product...and def think you need to get the professional level product.
Like, buy a farm boss if you want a serious chainsaw...don't skimp.

I don't know the equivalent when it comes to leaf blowers though.

Never buy anything but Stihl. Ever. And if Stihl doesn't make it, get Toro.

As for which blower, I'd go with the BG 56. It is about all you should need unless you are just dying for a backpack blower. The 56 is super easy to work on and you will love not having to do the whole "hold trigger, lock in place, press on" to start.

I have this

View attachment 8323

But do have a Toro push mover, zero turn and snowblower.
Eh, echo is a good company but they have let their standards drop as they pushed into Home Depot. They started creating more and more cheap garbage to get costs down. When HD is having to put a Echo on the shelf vs the random ryobi/jd/weedeater stuff that costs much less, the company started making more "consumer friendly" lines of products.

I like Stihl & it seems Echo is a Japanese copy of the Stihl.... I've had a Shindaiwa which is distributed by Echo for 12 years, it's been a good one.

1603818309694.png

My electric Worx does fine for me.

I blow everything onto my lawn and suck it all up with my 29 year old Honda mover. That sucker will suck up boulders.

I like Stihl & it seems Echo is a Japanese copy of the Stihl.... I've had a Shindaiwa which is distributed by Echo for 12 years, it's been a good one.

View attachment 8365

Shindawa engines are in most of the commercial stuff no matter what brand you buy. Good little power plants.

My electric Worx does fine for me.

I blow everything onto my lawn and suck it all up with my 29 year old Honda mover. That sucker will suck up boulders.
when I buy another push mower, I am getting one with a Honda motor. They are the best.

when I buy another push mower, I am getting one with a Honda motor. They are the best.

The place I get it serviced says exactly that.

The place I get it serviced says exactly that.
the push mower I bought off Craigslist many years ago is still kicking though and it does a fine job...I see no reason to buy one yet.

and if I get my front yard to be not a field of crabgrass next year, I expect my mowing to be so much easier.

Disagree, but I get how people think that :)