Ribs question

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 9,384.00
I've been looking at rib recipes online and it seems like every video suggests making your own barbecue sauce. It's always something simple and honestly I don't see the point. If it's something pretty neat yeah I'll go for it, but ketchup + apple cider vinegar + brown sugar is pretty basic. Maybe it's better than a store brand but when you have access to something like Head Country I really don't see the point.

So do you guys make your own sauce or just go with something you can buy?

I’ll make my own sloppy joe sauce, never bothered with BBQ.

I've been looking at rib recipes online and it seems like every video suggests making your own barbecue sauce. It's always something simple and honestly I don't see the point. If it's something pretty neat yeah I'll go for it, but ketchup + apple cider vinegar + brown sugar is pretty basic. Maybe it's better than a store brand but when you have access to something like Head Country I really don't see the point.

So do you guys make your own sauce or just go with something you can buy?
I'm a snob and do dry rub about 98% of the time. The only time I make sauce is when I know that the audience is expecting sauce anyway. Generally I make a sugary-ketchup sauce out of tomato sauce, worcestershire, brown sugar and a bit of vinegar, but then also one with some pepper. The wife likes Carolina style BBQ, so sometimes at her insistence, we make a more vinegar-heavy sauce.

In a pinch, I admit I've bought Stubbs too. ;)

I’ve never made it. The guy I lease my deer camp from has won multiple state and regional championships for his BBQ, I always get my sauce from him. Good, runny vinegar based sauce

Since I don't use a whole lot on ribs, store bought bottles are good with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle being a favorite.

I'll make my own apple vinegar sauce for my pulled pork.

Don't really put BBQ sauce on much else.

I do my own rub for ribs, but I'll use off the shelf sauces.

Everyone in my family likes something different, so I make them dry and let people sauce (or not) to their liking. Store bought options only.

I don't like wet ribs, I make em dry. If someone wants sauce they are free to try any we have or bring their own. My father in law makes his own and gave me the recipe once. I'll look for it, but it was a ton of work for not that great. It's really good for simmering cocktail weenies in, but that's about it.

will do my own rub. sauce generally bought, sometimes mix a few up or add some other stuff to it, but nothing major.

I just buy sauce, blue hogs, stubbs, or sweet baby rays are all good

Rubs, I used to always make my own and still will for standard rub (salt, sugar, paprika, mustard powder, cayenne, garlic, onion, pepper as based, maybe few other ingredients) but find myself buying rubs, so many companies out htere now putting out good product

Since I don't use a whole lot on ribs, store bought bottles are good with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle being a favorite.

I'll make my own apple vinegar sauce for my pulled pork.

Don't really put BBQ sauce on much else.
That is my go to sauce for all things pork. I would love to make my own but cannot find a recipe that gets even close to SBRHC.

I dry rub and then do a 15 minute light glaze with KC Masterpiece.

I make Carolina vinegar sauce for pulled pork, which I highly recommend. I've always just bought sauce for ribs though. Stubbs was mentioned above, which is fantastic for people who don't love it very sweet. They make a spicy one that is amazing. There is a local one called Old West, which is my favorite. I'm not sure how far they distribute.

I wish I had mentioned this when I started the thread.

If you want a dry rub this is perfect:

I'm doing ribs tomorrow. I have them marinating in a combination of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice overnight. Tomorrow I'm going to use Martin County Magic as my dry rub about an hour before they go on.

I'm using the 3-2-1 method. Smoker at 225 using hickory pellets. I should be using a fruit pellet but I'm going with what I have on hand. 2 hours in foil with another apple cider lemon juice marinade and the last hour with head country. Id normally use some orange juice tonight and tomorrow as well but I don’t have any on hand so I'm going with what I have.

I highly recommend Martin County Magic. It's the perfect seasoning for pork chips or chicken. And as a dry rub it really works.

I wish I had mentioned this when I started the thread.

If you want a dry rub this is perfect:

I'm doing ribs tomorrow. I have them marinating in a combination of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice overnight. Tomorrow I'm going to use Martin County Magic as my dry rub about an hour before they go on.

I'm using the 3-2-1 method. Smoker at 225 using hickory pellets. I should be using a fruit pellet but I'm going with what I have on hand. 2 hours in foil with another apple cider lemon juice marinade and the last hour with head country. Id normally use some orange juice tonight and tomorrow as well but I don’t have any on hand so I'm going with what I have.
I've never marinated ribs. Can't say I think it'd do a lot considering the fat and bones but I'd love to hear how it turns out.

I've never marinated ribs. Can't say I think it'd do a lot considering the fat and bones but I'd love to hear how it turns out.

I'm trying to maximize the acidity beforehand. I haven't done an overnight marinade and am hoping it improves the tenderness.

On the plus side it's going on a pellet grill so I can't mess them up. I just got it this year so my previous experience was with charcoal. I did alright with that but it was a lot more work and there were times where I had too much fluid on the coals and that messed up the flavor.

I want to try a brisket but I don't know that I'm good enough to get that right.

I'm trying to maximize the acidity beforehand. I haven't done an overnight marinade and am hoping it improves the tenderness.

On the plus side it's going on a pellet grill so I can't mess them up. I just got it this year so my previous experience was with charcoal. I did alright with that but it was a lot more work and there were times where I had too much fluid on the coals and that messed up the flavor.

I want to try a brisket but I don't know that I'm good enough to get that right.
Probably not....

In my experience as a pellet griller, just find a cooking recipe you like. I've done about a dozen briskets and haven't screwed any of them up. I'd highly recommend butcher paper on a brisket or short ribs and foil on pork ribs or pork butt. Not sure of the science there but foil doesn't work as well for me on beef.

Probably not....

Yep. When I was a kid I wasn't a fan of brisket because I found it to be really dry. In hindsight it wasn't the meat but the preparation.

I'm enjoying my attempts at ribs now but that one may not be in my wheelhouse.