Ribs question

Yep. When I was a kid I wasn't a fan of brisket because I found it to be really dry. In hindsight it wasn't the meat but the preparation.

I'm enjoying my attempts at ribs now but that one may not be in my wheelhouse.
I really wouldn't be anxious about doing a brisket. I thought I didn't like brisket until I cooked my first. I was amazed at how good it was after that.

Yep. When I was a kid I wasn't a fan of brisket because I found it to be really dry. In hindsight it wasn't the meat but the preparation.

I'm enjoying my attempts at ribs now but that one may not be in my wheelhouse.
First, I was just being a dick before.

Second, brisket is tough, but it’s worth the effort. You just have to be willing to fuck it up and order a pizza while you learn.

First, I was just being a dick before.

Second, brisket is tough, but it’s worth the effort. You just have to be willing to fuck it up and order a pizza while you learn.
I've had bad brisket. It's still plenty edible.

I have always enjoyed my ribs slow cooked, falling off the bone, little sauce, and no rub.

That's just me.

Sometimes people just make it too complicated.

ribs GIF
ribs GIF
Bbq Barbecue GIF by swerk

Grilling Labor Day GIF by BBQGuys
bbq grill GIF
bbq sausage GIF

I’ll often make my own....because the weird angle I get in my head that a job well done is done right.

I’ve gone with a good bottled sauce in a pinch before, though, and it’s not any kind of drop off in my view taste wise. It just ends up feeling like I didn’t give it my all.

I've been looking at rib recipes online and it seems like every video suggests making your own barbecue sauce. It's always something simple and honestly I don't see the point. If it's something pretty neat yeah I'll go for it, but ketchup + apple cider vinegar + brown sugar is pretty basic. Maybe it's better than a store brand but when you have access to something like Head Country I really don't see the point.

So do you guys make your own sauce or just go with something you can buy?

I've been smoking ribs for close to a decade now and I use a dry rub and no sauce or little sauce.

Go buy a sauce you like and don't fuss with making your own....

Real Ribs don't need sauce....

037.JPG

Smoking some ribs today....

Old photo from a couple years ago however I'm smoking up the ribs just like this today...

Brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, tomatoes of some sort(whatever you dislike the least, I go with super small diced), I like really fine minced onion and a little liquid smoke. Sometimes a little finely minced green pepper.

I almost never measure when cooking. Just start small with everything and add until you get where you want.

I cook it down for awhile after I hit where I want to be. Get the crunch out of the veggie bites that way.

This is the correct answer.
For me, it depends on the rib and my mood.

I tend to go wet with baby backs.

I have a good BBQ sauce, that is uncooked. It has raw onion, garlic and jalapenos, that "cook" while on the ribs. Adds an awesome texture and tastes delish. 🤌

For me, it depends on the rib and my mood.

I tend to go wet with baby backs.

I have a good BBQ sauce, that is uncooked. It has raw onion, garlic and jalapenos, that "cook" while on the ribs. Adds an awesome texture and tastes delish. 🤌
Ribs are a little like sex. Sometimes, you need a lot of added external moisture. Sometimes you just want to go in dry.

You're gonna spend 5 hours building that bark and flavor and then slather cheap ass BBQ sauce on it with 10 minutes to go???

What in thee fuck. You only need sauce if you're trying to hide something.

You're gonna spend 5 hours building that bark and flavor and then slather cheap ass BBQ sauce on it with 10 minutes to go???
What in thee fuck. You only need sauce if you're trying to hide something.
I have always enjoyed my ribs slow cooked, falling off the bone, little sauce, and no rub.
That's just me.
Sometimes people just make it too complicated.
Yes