RIP Bill Russell

You can debate competition all you want. But no one ever dominated an era like he did. And the first ever black head coach. And so much impact off the court.

You can certainly argue this. I would agree that the Celtics "dominated the era" as a team, for sure.

I posted this in that other thread... if Wilt had played against Bill Russell and the Celtics in every game of his career and had hypothetically scored at that "vs. Russell" rate (rather than what he actually did) he would still lead the NBA in career 50+ point games.

He was never at any point in his career the best player on his own team. He was good (not great) against 6' 1" white guys named Stan.

We sorta part company here as I would be willing to use the word "great"

He was never at any point in his career the best player on his own team. He was good (not great) against 6' 1" white guys named Stan.
Just think of how close you came to drowning in that riptide and dying on the same day as your personal basketball hero, Bill Russell?

He wouldn't make a single roster in today's league. He was slow as hell, even at that time. He's average 4 and 1 in the D-League.
hell, he'd get dominated by white boys in the United Kingdom

he was the right guy at the right time. in any other era, he'd be handing John Starks a bottle of water

Bill Russell retired from playing in 1969 after winning his 11th championship as player, he was also the coach.

1969, makes me wonder how many of the mouthy fucks on this thread downgrading him actually saw him play.

You're talking about Wilt, right? Who exactly did Bill Russell dominate? 6' 1" white guys named Walter?
The played the same damn years. Bill dominated Walt. His momma even said so.

wtf was a thread about one of the worlds greatest civil rights activist moved to the nba forum?

In 143 games against all-time defensive great Bill Russell Wilt scored 50+ five times. If he had scored at this rate against every opponent for his career he would have had just 36 games with 50+ points, yet he would still be atop this list.
...and how many 50 pt games did Bill Russell have?

In his career?

200.gif

None??? How about how many 40 pt games did the GOAT have?

Steve Jobs Apple GIF by GrowthX

39?

Meme Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

38?

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Bill Russell retired from playing in 1969 after winning his 11th championship as player, he was also the coach.

1969, makes me wonder how many of the mouthy fucks on this thread downgrading him actually saw him play.
My thoughts as well…..even as I am one of those born a bit after he retired.

This is why I don’t bother comparing eras. They just leave the door open for nonsense narratives.

Would I have rather has Wilt or Bill on my team in the 60s….well….I like my team winning championships, and he was a big part of them winning them.

“Bill Russell was 6’ 10”

Here Bill Russell is telling a very interested 6' 4" Byron Scott how tall and great he was.

"No, really! I'm 6' 10" and was the greatest basketball player ever. Really, guys!"

...and how many 50 pt games did Bill Russell have?

In his career?

200.gif

None??? How about how many 40 pt games did the GOAT have?

Steve Jobs Apple GIF by GrowthX

39?

Meme Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

38?

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

We are on the same fucking side here man! Your GIFs seem mad at me :wink: :laugh:

My thoughts as well…..even as I am one of those born a bit after he retired.

This is why I don’t bother comparing eras. They just leave the door open for nonsense narratives.

Would I have rather has Wilt or Bill on my team in the 60s….well….I like my team winning championships, and he was a big part of them winning them.

Wilt and Bill were not asked to play the same roles on their respective teams though. Wilt's teams asked for (and got) more from him.

Wilt and Bill were not asked to play the same roles on their respective teams though. Wilt's teams asked for (and got) more from him.
Russell slightly changed the game he played a few times over the years to help the team do better. He was ahead of the times on such a practice. Figure out what the team needs that you can bring and change your game up around it.

Russell slightly changed the game he played a few times over the years to help the team do better. He was ahead of the times on such a practice. Figure out what the team needs that you can bring and change your game up around it.

Was Red Auerbach doing anything while Bill was doing all of this by himself? :wink:

He played the role that he had to play for the Celtics (right from the start of his career) perfectly. But that role was not as significant as the role that Wilt had to play. And he was really never a scorer.

A 6' 10" black guy (I think he was about 6' 7" but every last detail of this guy's "greatness" is exaggerated) for the Boston Celtics vs. a bunch of 6' 1" white guys named Francis for the Springfield Roosters.

lol "best ever" :L