Roku or Fire Stick?

I see you haven't met 2020 @Fish that guy wants anything free.

The 2010 @Fish I used to know would punch this one in the throat.
Dude, things have changed. I'm retired now and on a limited income.

Also my entire music library consists of things I stole off the internet years ago. Before 2010.

LOL @ you guys. :facepalm:

Amazon = immoral
stealing shit = fucking amazing, how do I do it?

I qualified myself that I don't really partake. But I'm just saying the ability to do so is there.

Also this kind of makes Amazon complicit in said stealing as it's their device haha

I qualified myself that I don't really partake. But I'm just saying the ability to do so is there.

Also this kind of makes Amazon complicit in said stealing as it's their device haha
oooh! Plot twist! i like that defense!

judge ok GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

@Shanemansj13 can explain the "jailbreak" on the firestick.

I did it previously, and it worked great. Was able to stream live sports and watch any TV show or movie that already made it to streaming. But if you don't hire someone to do it for you, it requires maintenance upkeep to keep everything running smooth. Mine eventually became too slow, and I haven't bothered searching for what apps to use now.

If you do this (and live in a 1st world country), I would get a VPN.

Yeah I hired someone and pay them $30/month for two programmed firesticks so I wouldn't know anything about how to "jailbreak" it but I did install a movie/tv show app on the firestick...that is pretty simple though. And yes, if I didn't get this guy to do it...I would get a VPN for sure

Cinema is a good app for movies/tv shows. Like I said, I went through a guy/company so they installed the live tv/sports program. It's not something you can do yourself for this particular app though...haven't looked at any other live tv apps.

I wouldn't know anything about how to "jailbreak" it but I did install a movie/tv show app on the firestick...that is pretty simple though.
It's actually just an option you turn off to allow 3rd party programs to be installed. No hacking required. It's in the settings.

It's actually just an option you turn off to allow 3rd party programs to be installed. No hacking required. It's in the settings.

It sounds like you know more than me! LOL

yes, you can

I have a Roku stick that works jsut fine and an Ultra in my living room.

This is tru. Rooting a fire stick does have it's benefits, but if you don't care about that shit...ROKU BITCH
Thanks, guys.

Roku works better than I expected. Apparently Comcast has a deal with Roku that basically lets you use the Roku like another set top box. Will have to get used to tuning to channels still, but this is gravy right meow.

Considering my options for the new TV in the basement. I'm not trying to cut the cord per se for now. I still have cable for now. I'm basically planning on using my cable service to log in and access the streaming channels, instead of paying another monthly fee for a box from Comcast.

I had a Roku, but didn't like it. I now have 4 Firesticks, one for every tv in the house. I Kodi'ed all of them.

That with Hulu live and I haven't had cable in years.

Thanks, guys.

Roku works better than I expected. Apparently Comcast has a deal with Roku that basically lets you use the Roku like another set top box. Will have to get used to tuning to channels still, but this is gravy right meow.
Thanks for reminding me, I think this is the last day the 50" roku tv is on sale at walmart. Now I just have to decide if I really want it.

Reactions: Me
Considering my options for the new TV in the basement. I'm not trying to cut the cord per se for now. I still have cable for now. I'm basically planning on using my cable service to log in and access the streaming channels, instead of paying another monthly fee for a box from Comcast.
My parents have Roku and I have the firestick. I like the firesticks better. I'm already in the Amazon environment (I have a bunch of movies purchased on prime video) so that played into my decision. But the other thing (and this is preference) I really hate that Roku puts default buttons on the remote that do nothing if you don't use those services. I think the new ones have Disney+, Hulu, Sling and Netflix buttons labeled on the remote. I hate that. I wish they were buttons you could program to auto open the apps you have. I have YouTube TV so the Hulu and Sling buttons do nothing for me. The menus are similar. I like Roku you can more easily search all streaming services for a movie if you're trying to watch something and don't know if it's on Neflix, Hulu, Prime ect. I'm not sure if Roku is the same, but the tiny Amazon remote really easily controls my entire surround system with AV receiver and it was super easy to set up.

The biggest thing I would say is make sure whatever you plan to subscribe to has an app available on the device. And I've noticed people saying the firesticks are laggy, I haven't experienced that at all but they just released a new unit so I'm sure they're slightly faster. I've also heard their fire TV cube is amazing.

^^^this

All you are doing is allowing it to download an app that isn't available in the app store. That's not hacking or rooting or jailbreaking. That's just "it's my shit and I'll put whatever in the fuck I want to on it."

you're such a fossil
I feel "old" enough still paying for cable, no way I'm paying them $15 a month for a box when a Roku does almost the same things for $30 all in.

The biggest complaint is that the streaming app for Comcast is kinda ass to search for channels on. I get that they count on having limited options to encourage people to keep their set top boxes, but at this point I've saved like $600 by not paying for two boxes (basement and bedroom).

Reactions: ill
I feel "old" enough still paying for cable, no way I'm paying them $15 a month for a box when a Roku does almost the same things for $30 all in.

The biggest complaint is that the streaming app for Comcast is kinda ass to search for channels on. I get that they count on having limited options to encourage people to keep their set top boxes, but at this point I've saved like $600 by not paying for two boxes (basement and bedroom).
I have a friend's Service Electric Cable & TV log in and that works great...even better that the account is out of PA so I get Philly sports

I have a firestick that cost me a one time fee of $40 and I have internet so I can post here. (Sure it's Monthly fee)

I got rid of my cable.

I can still see everything on firestick that I had with cable without paying cable.