Poll Rule change?: Dropped 3rd strike.

Get rid of batter advancing on dropped 3rd strike?

• YES.

• NO, leave it the way it is.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 25,000.00
should we get rid of the rule that allows batters to advance on a dropped third strike?

should we get rid of the rule that allows batters to advance on a dropped third strike?
No, why would you even consider it?

I'm assuming the number is less than 10% that actually get on base. i could care less.....

Its like asking if we should have a defined strike zone in baseball. we don't have one but that is the game.

No, why would you even consider it?
It’s kind of dumb. You struck out. Go sit down. You don’t get to run if it doesn’t hit dirt. Why would you take strike three and then get a chance to advance just cuz it hits dirt?

this is where status quo bias creeps in. If this wasn’t already in the rules, and someone proposed that a batter could advance after striking out bEcAuSe It HiTs tHe DiRt, y’all would laugh at that proposition.
Or if someone proposed that the batter could always run after striking out if first is empty. Y’all would laugh. But that one is at least more consistent.
It just goes to show what status quo warriors everyone is.

It’s kind of dumb. You struck out. Go sit down. You don’t get to run if it doesn’t hit dirt. Why would you take strike three and then get a chance to advance just cuz it hits dirt?

this is where status quo bias creeps in. If this wasn’t already in the rules, and someone proposed that a batter could advance after striking out bEcAuSe It HiTs tHe DiRt, y’all would laugh at that proposition.
Or if someone proposed that the batter could always run after striking out if first is empty. Y’all would laugh. But that one is at least more consistent.

If you strikeout and the catcher has the ball in his mitt, he’s just going to tag you. That’s why we’d laugh.

It’s a live ball if it’s swung on in the dirt. The putout hasn’t been completed.

If you strikeout and the catcher has the ball in his mitt, he’s just going to tag you. That’s why we’d laugh.

It’s a live ball if it’s swung on in the dirt. The putout hasn’t been completed.
That’s the question, not the answer.
*should the put out be completed when you take strike three?
You can’t answer the question with the question.

That’s the question, not the answer.
*should the put out be completed when you take strike three?
You can’t answer the question with the question.
Yet, I did.

Yet, I did.
Yeah. It’s a *should question you’re answering with an *is answer. I’ll wait to hear from someone who isn’t this trivially and rudimentarily unsmart.

Yeah. It’s a *should question you’re answering with an *is answer. I’ll wait to hear from someone who isn’t this trivially and rudimentarily unsmart.
I haven’t asked you any questions.

Cuz all your answers suck.

I sorta dig what you're saying.

The essence of a strike is either the ball crossing the plate in the strike zone or the batter missing the pitch. It's not those things plus the catcher receiving the ball. The fact there is an added complication to strike 3 is a little weird.

But since it does allow for the ever-so-rare exciting play, keep it.

The essence of a strike is either the ball crossing the plate in the strike zone or the batter missing the pitch. It's not those things plus the catcher receiving the ball. The fact there is an added complication to strike 3 is a little weird.

Yep, especially if there is a runner at 3rd.

And catchers that go to one knee and let a ball get by them deserve to be punished. Take the quirkiness out of baseball and you take away everything there is to like about it

@ELTEXAN Douche agreeing with you doesn't bode well for your argument.

Should they stop calling a caught tipped foul strike 3 also? Just make it a normal foul ball?

Maybe run the bases backwards making 3rd 1st?

Or go to 2nd first, the pitcher has the option of tackling you on your way, then you can go to either 1st or 3rd and score from there.

Would really jazz the game up.

Should they stop calling a caught tipped foul strike 3 also? Just make it a normal foul ball?

Or go to 2nd first, the pitcher has the option of tackling you on your way, then you can go to either 1st or 3rd and score from there.

I like my baseball unjazzed.

oh man, I like making 2nd the new 1st base... gives some excitement to the game... which way will the runner go? Running in a circle is boring.

How about being able to circle the bases multiple times until somebody stops you?

oh man, I like making 2nd the new 1st base... gives some excitement to the game... which way will the runner go? Running in a circle is boring.

How about being able to circle the bases multiple times until somebody stops you?
That could work if we moved the fences back to 600 ft.