science is bullshit right?

@JuiceTheGator you haven't read it yet, A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold is a great book on the philosophy behind modern conservation management, especially the essays in the second half of the book.

I think I have that in my library - can't remember if I perused it or not. Still, there's so little left I'd rather not let anyone do anything but buy an area and close it.

That square mile my bros and I have by the Dells is a classic example. A UW botonist found FOUR plants there thought to be extinct. There's an entire pack of black wolves. So many groups have approached over the decades with ideas to make something "better," water flow or whatever. Any one of those would have ruined it. So, we refuse everything.

I think I have that in my library - can't remember if I perused it or not. Still, there's so little left I'd rather not let anyone do anything but buy an area and close it.

That square mile my bros and I have by the Dells is a classic example. A UW botonist found FOUR plants there thought to be extinct. There's an entire pack of black wolves. So many groups have approached over the decades with ideas to make something "better," water flow or whatever. Any one of those would have ruined it. So, we refuse everything.

It's good that you have someone keeping an eye on the place. Invasive plants and over population of mega fauna can ruin(change) it quick

It's good that you have someone keeping an eye on the place. Invasive plants and over population of mega fauna can ruin(change) it quick

Not too much if you leave it alone. Poison sumac n shit is all over. We had to destroy the elephant grass when it started creeping in from the road. My bro is up there but doesn't do much.

A twister went through in the late 70s and flattened a swath right through the middle. The state told us to clear the tree falls and dig a drainage ditch in one area and all kinds of crap. We left it and that really turned out great. The complicated mess gave cover to everything and even hunting trespassers didn't come-in because you couldn't walk through it - even in winter. Except for great grand-dads shack and boat shack, it's just like it would be if nobody ever showed-up....and that's perfect IMO.

Not too much if you leave it alone. Poison sumac n shit is all over. We had to destroy the elephant grass when it started creeping in from the road. My bro is up there but doesn't do much.

A twister went through in the late 70s and flattened a swath right through the middle. The state told us to clear the tree falls and dig a drainage ditch in one area and all kinds of crap. We left it and that really turned out great. The complicated mess gave cover to everything and even hunting trespassers didn't come-in because you couldn't walk through it - even in winter. Except for great grand-dads shack and boat shack, it's just like it would be if nobody ever showed-up....and that's perfect IMO.

Depending on the direction from the Dells, I know some of the area quite well. Draining any kind if wetlands is a major change to the micro-ecosystem. Whoever advised that ought to move to the city park branch. I would be worried more about over-population of deer if there is not a decent predator population.

Depending on the direction from the Dells, I know some of the area quite well. Draining any kind if wetlands is a major change to the micro-ecosystem. Whoever advised that ought to move to the city park branch. I would be worried more about over-population of deer if there is not a decent predator population.
Well, yeah. That's in the Chippewa Flowage. You can't really affect that, but they thought SO many falls might block movement enough to dry-up an area. That was ridiculous - it flows underneath the growth. Back by the lake, you can take a 20' stick and push it straight down into the muck until it disappears. It's bottomless and flowing. Thank goodness we didn't let any machines in.

Anyway, there's a lot of dumbasses out there. So, we left it all alone and are happy with it. That's why we started calling ourselves naturalists instead of conservationists. Good intentions have just caused so much damage. A UW professor ruined BD lake. He did a study saying it should be a foot deeper. So, they raised the dam and the whole lake died....nothing left but carp and algae. It'll never recover.

Here it is - north side of 127 just East of the Dells. You can zero in pretty well on Google Maps. The lake in the middle is about 40 acres and pristine. Surrounded by wild rice, it's great for ducks.

1598066416182.png

Well, yeah. That's in the Chippewa Flowage. You can't really affect that, but they thought SO many falls might block movement enough to dry-up an area. That was ridiculous - it flows underneath the growth. Back by the lake, you can take a 20' stick and push it straight down into the muck until it disappears. It's bottomless and flowing. Thank goodness we didn't let any machines in.

Anyway, there's a lot of dumbasses out there. So, we left it all alone and are happy with it. That's why we started calling ourselves naturalists instead of conservationists. Good intentions have just caused so much damage. A UW professor ruined BD lake. He did a study saying it should be a foot deeper. So, they raised the dam and the whole lake died....nothing left but carp and algae. It'll never recover.

Damn. People have been fucking around with the Marsh for a century or better but it seems safe now. Cross your fingers.

I do get why you want to separate yourself from the label.

Here it is - north side of 127 just East of the Dells. You can zero in pretty well on Google Maps. The lake in the middle is about 40 acres and pristine. Surrounded by wild rice, it's great for ducks.

View attachment 563

Looks like the remnants of a glacial lake. That's really the interesting thing about Central Wisconsin's geography is that it is fairly young and in flux. It is still drying from the last glacial advance.

Until I get my robot body, YES.

I am tired of living in this meat-sack. I have beat the hell out of it too so I want a replacement.

A guy selling pillows told me so. He seemed nice.

What happened to Volfie? Did he decide he and Waz could own the SP in my absence? :dhd:

Change the V to a W and don't associate me with that science manipulator (@wolvy). Science for the purpose of governmental manipulation is bullshit.
Don't be a bitch. Wear your mask.

Change the V to a W and don't associate me with that science manipulator (@wolvy). Science for the purpose of governmental manipulation is bullshit.
Oh, so you read the Global Cooling thread. Good...good.

science is ok..."journalism" however is dead as fuuuuuuck

"Gee guise, we just can't figure out why humans can't stay fit/healthy in low-G/no-G orbit?"

HEY. DIPSHITS. YOU THINK IT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT WE ARE ORGANISMS THAT HAVE EVOLVED TO SURVIVE ON THE FUCKING EARTH...YOU KNOW, WHERE WE LIVE...INSTEAD OF SCREAMING AROUND IT AT 17,000 MPH IN A FANCY SARDINE CAN THAT PROTECTS THE HUMAN ORGANISM FROM THE GODDAMN VACUUM OF SPACE AND THE SUN'S RADIATION?

ITS WORTH CONSIDERATION.

ESPECIALLY BEFORE YOU CRAFT SOME BULLSHIT WEBPAGE THAT HAS THE MISFORTUNE OF APPEARING THROUGH MY DOOM SCROLL NEWS FEED.

FAGGOTS.