TV Series Shogun

FYI, if you want to watch a good history of that time in Japan, I suggest "Age of Samurai" on Netflix. It's a docuseries and shows how Tokugawa Ieyasu (the real life Toranaga) came to power, starting with the rulers etc before him how they came about, and eventually how he rose to become Shogun.
Interesting I'll have to check this out.

The next to last episode should have been the ending because the last episode felt more like the ending credits where they do where are they now or what happened to them summary.
Had I not remembered the Chamberlain series also ended like this I would have expected season 2. I was OK with the ending except I do not really like when the characters have to spell out verbally what just happened and what is about to happen like Toronaga did when he was seconding the traitors head off there at the end.

Excellent show, solid finale.

The way it ended, i thought surely it was setting up for a 2nd season but then found out it encompassed basically the entire plot of the book.

I still maintain Fuji isn't gonna become a nun and instead Blackthorne is gonna be throwing her the root on the reg. Guess I'll just have to write season 2 myself on some fanfiction forum.

Excellent show, solid finale.

The way it ended, i thought surely it was setting up for a 2nd season but then found out it encompassed basically the entire plot of the book.

I still maintain Fuji isn't gonna become a nun and instead Blackthorne is gonna be throwing her the root on the reg. Guess I'll just have to write season 2 myself on some fanfiction forum.
The second to last episode was the finale and the last episode was just a housekeeping episode.

I won’t be surprised with a second season because while the book has been played out the historical events to pull from are pretty vast. They could do several more seasons if they want to but I’m not sure if the stakes would be as high and they will probably have to “invent” drama/conflict to make it interesting.

The second to last episode was the finale and the last episode was just a housekeeping episode.

I won’t be surprised with a second season because while the book has been played out the historical events to pull from are pretty vast. They could do several more seasons if they want to but I’m not sure if the stakes would be as high and they will probably have to “invent” drama/conflict to make it interesting.

I think it was more than housekeeping. It completely tied up the entire season and closed off basically every major character arc.

The dialogue callbacks were incredible. Fuji telling Blackthorn that his hands should be the last to hold Mariko's cross are a call back to when Mariko told Fuji the same thing when she had to kill her baby in the early episodes. Same with Toranaga saying to Yabu "why tell a dead man the future" is exactly what Yabu said to Omi earlier on in the season about Toranaga before they left for Osaka (also confirming that Omi was a spy for Toranaga the whole time). And of course "a flower is only a flower because it falls" is a direct quote from Mariko.

If it had the budget of Game of Thrones, then we would have seen a great battle in the penultimate episode with the finale being a "where are they now" sort of thing.

I know the story is loosely based on historical events, but I think the ending is basically perfect as is now.