TV Series Shogun

Very good show. Can't wait for the next episode.

Good stuff. Enjoying so far.

I've already seen reports, tweets, and other woke nonsense complaining about the series's lack of black actors...in a story about feudal Japan. ...smh. There are so many lost idiots in this world...

Speaking of Shogun, anyone else remember these?
1710356080736.png 1710356095568.png

I've already seen reports, tweets, and other woke nonsense complaining about the series's lack of black actors...in a story about feudal Japan. ...smh. There are so many lost idiots in this world...
please shut up...do you really need to bring politics into this thread? go clutch your pearls elsewhere.

Watched two episodes so far, I'm loving it.

The 4th episodes was the best yet imo. Just when you think you know what's going to happen...

Having watched all of the episodes a couple of times, I find that I can only watch about 1 or 2 episodes at a time. The subtitles make me pay a lot more attention, but I feel that I'm not seeing the actors facial expressions and other subtle things enough b/c I'm busy reading the subtitles.

Watched two episodes so far, I'm loving it.
It just gets better.

I liked the original mini series, even with Richard Chamberlain's wooden acting, but this one is so much better so far. Better acting all around, filmed better, and more realistic and less sanitized than the original. Case in point, Blackthorn and Rodrigues talk to each other exactly how I'd expect two sailors (then and now) to talk to each other.

I'm just here for the pron

Just finished episode 5 and that's all.

How often do these things drop? Weekly?

watched the latest episode last night and was a little confused over the sake scene in the courtyard where the husband is all shamed and shit...

watched the latest episode last night and was a little confused over the sake scene in the courtyard where the husband is all shamed and shit...
The way i took it was even though he has every right to do whatever he wants with his wife, he did it in Blackthorne's house. Blackthorne was pissed (obviously he likes Mariko) and was challenging the husband. Now we and everyone on the show knows he'd kill Blackthorne in about 2 seconds, but since he was a guest in the house, and knew if he killed Blackthorne, Toranaga would probably have him killed since he holds Blackthorne in high esteem and put him in a high position.

The shame/apology was fake and bullshit, but he was covering his ass by apologizing and blaming the sake.

Last edited:
The way i took it was even though he has every right to do whatever he wants with his wife, he did it in Blackthorne's house. Blackthorne was pissed (obviously he likes Mariko) and was challenging the husband. Now we and everyone on the show knows he'd kill Blackthorne in about 2 seconds, but since he was a guest in the house, and knew if he killed Blackthorne, Toranaga would probably have him killed since he holds Blackthorne in high esteem and put him in a high position.

The shame/apology was fake and bullshit, but he was covering his ass by apologizing and blaming the sake.

It's mostly this. One of the themes is just how much Japanese society of this time (and many other times) is built on honor, traditions, and respect and how the Europeans react/adapt to it. He acted out of place in the house of a hamamoto. While he doesn't like Anjin and can do what he wants to his wife, by society standards, he brought shame upon himself and must atone for it

It's mostly this. One of the themes is just how much Japanese society of this time (and many other times) is built on honor, traditions, and respect and how the Europeans react/adapt to it. He acted out of place in the house of a hamamoto. While he doesn't like Anjin and can do what he wants to his wife, by society standards, he brought shame upon himself and must atone for it
it is a bit hard to read his face in that scene...like is he seriously feeling shame and remorse or is he just going through the process to look like he is sorry. We will have to wait and see where he aligns himself or if he stands up for Blackthorne at some point.

I get that Mariko is Blackthorne's #1, but surely that old english pirate has some extra juice he could send Fuji's way.