Small Religious Question

Yeah, it's such a power trip. I totally agree... should've made them perfect and we wouldn't be in this mess now, would we? So he's only got himself to blame!

Well, since he made them in his image, maybe he ain't so great afterall.

Yeah, it's such a power trip. I totally agree... should've made them perfect and we wouldn't be in this mess now, would we? So he's only got himself to blame!
God did make humans perfect. Then some sneaky asshole came along and ruined his masterpiece. Instead of wiping everything out and starting over right away, he turned Earth and humanity into an entertaining experiment so he could get some lasting use out of us. We're the ants in his ant farm.

God did make humans perfect. Then some sneaky asshole came along and ruined his masterpiece. Instead of wiping everything out and starting over right away, he turned Earth and humanity into an entertaining experiment so he could get some lasting use out of us. We're the ants in his ant farm.
Yeah, but why didn't he just smite that asshole? He knew he was up to no good when he cast him out. Seems like a lot of wasted energy to create paradise and then let one entity come and screw it all up just for shits & giggles. What's the point (i.e. meaning of life :D )?

Yeah, but why didn't he just smite that asshole? He knew he was up to no good when he cast him out. Seems like a lot of wasted energy to create paradise and then let one entity come and screw it all up just for shits & giggles. What's the point (i.e. meaning of life :D )?
Good question. We humans have extremely limited comprehension & perspective of space-time, alternative dimensions and extra-planetary scope. Whatever answer we spitball is most likely not even close to truth.

My perception of our "meaning of life" distills down to one simple attribute: obedience. ...Are we obedient to our Creator and submit to His authority or do we desire to be gods ourselves and fight His authority? God expects obedience and those who are obedient will join Him in His perfect kingdom (or "New Earth"). Satan wants us to reject His authority and he garnishes that rejection with an aura of false godliness. ...We're essentially a free-will-injected dynamic "soul assembly line" for the next life (or death)... ...We've all got Spring Training invites, but only the good ones make the team.

Bill burr does a great bit about this. Paraphrasing; "I resent the fact that I will be judged. If I built a car, and it doesnt run, its not the cars fucking fault. You create hookers, make me bad at math, and you dont think this shit is going to go off the rails here and there? Like you made me, what the fuck did you do wrong?"

I love Burr....he's so funny. I hope he never gets canceled....

Every "New Testament Bible" is in fact a Catholic bible. Catholic church was the original Christian church. There were none before. They wrote the books of the new testament.

The thing that always hung me up on the faith was the notion of the virgin birth.

Were Joseph and Mary married when Jesus was born? According to scripture she was a virgin. Yet they were married at the time!

Because why would Mary be traveling with this man Joseph and looking for a room to spend the night were they not married?
Now then, if they were in fact married, why would she still be a virgin?

Nowhere does it state they were on their honeymoon, having just been married, with cans tied to the donkey's tail and with shoe polish writing on it's behind, "Just Married!"

So either...

A. Mary was not a virgin.
B. Mary was a virgin, but was not married to the man, that she was actively searching motels for a room to spend the night with.
C. Mary was not a virgin but was married to that same man and they simply needed a room to rest.
D. None of it actually happened, there was no Mary...no Joseph and certainly no Jewish baby with a Latino name who later walked on water, putting to rest the use of "wet back" to insult him.
Mary was pregnant before they married.

Matthew 1:19-20

Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Mary was pregnant before they married.

Matthew 1:19-20

Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

How would Matthew know this? haha

Think about it...he wasn't there. That's why it's difficult to take it all seriously. Matthew was probably the same age as Jesus was supposedly. How would he, a toddler at best at the time Jesus was born, know what happened?

Actually none of the "Gospel" attributed to Matthew can be verified as his work as the writer is never mentioned in the text nor does the author claim to be an eye witness to any of the text. It was written in another language, Greek, and although Matthew could have known Greek, the text doesn't appear to be Greek translated from Aramaic or Hebrew....in other words it appears to be written in first tongue...i.e. in Greek.

The "according to Matthew" parts of the scripture were added later in the next century to attribute it to him.

Which is kind of shitty, because the forbidden fruit wasn’t forbidden because it was evil, it was fruit from the tree of knowledge (of good and evil) and was forbidden just because god said so. I remember reading that when I was little and thinking, “why doesn’t god want people to be smarter?”

Seems like such a dick move to test their obedience like that. If he didn’t want them to eat the fruit, he shouldn’t have given them the capacity to choose or he should’ve put it in his super secret garden, where they weren’t tempted. It’s all very fucked up.
He must be a sick, twisted, demented asshole.

It was a quince.

I learned that from watching “White Men Can’t Jump” at the end when Rosie Perez was on Jeopardy she answered the question “What is a quince?”

Funny how I can remember an obscure line from a movie from 30 years ago but can’t find my car keys