State & City names...

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Ever wonder how some places got the names they have? During a lively discussion about Omaha, it made me wonder

Omaha (actually Umoⁿhoⁿ or Umaⁿhaⁿ) in the Omaha language means "Upstream People" or "Against The Current.

Ever wonder how some places got the names they have? During a lively discussion about Omaha, it made me wonder

Omaha (actually Umoⁿhoⁿ or Umaⁿhaⁿ) in the Omaha language means "Upstream People" or "Against The Current.
I mean, if you are going to be in the river you definitely want to be the ones that are upstream. Especially of pee'rs-in-the-water like me.

Oshkosh was named after the chief of the Menominee Native Americans.

I mean, if you are going to be in the river you definitely want to be the ones that are upstream. Especially of pee'rs-in-the-water like me.
Because them pissem downem big river after drinkum fire water

Because them pissem downem big river after drinkum fire water
season crying GIF

Huh? I just assumed it was named after them big overalls
The clothing company originated here, but hasn't had a presence here for decades. They outsourced all manufacturing to south of the US border before eventually selling off the entire business to Carter's.

The clothing company originated here, but hasn't had a presence here for decades. They outsourced all manufacturing to south of the US border before eventually selling off the entire business to Carter's.
Carters? Those sons a bitches!

Baton Rouge

In 1699 French visitors called the spot "red stick" (baton rouge) because of a boundary marker pole, stained with animal blood, standing on the river bluff. Members of the Houma tribe lived to the north of the red stick and Bayogoulas to the south, now present day Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes(counties).

The location of the city was their hunting grounds and not any settlement or tribe location.

The first settlement was a military one much later when the British owned the land. They set up a fort that still stands to this day as a museum.