Stephen King

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I generally try to read one or 2 Stephen King books a year, usually one during October.

I am currently reading Fairy Tale and I am stuck on the fact that King's characters have the worst 1970's slang ever. Like, the characters from Pet Semetary basically talk the same way a character from his 2020 books talk and it drives me bonkers.

has anyone else noticed that?

Overrated. One of those guys you think is genius in your youth, then grow up and realize he’s just a semi-talented weirdo.
That’s about right. I read him a lot when I was in high school and a little after, but I probably haven’t read any of his stuff in over 30 years.

I generally try to read one or 2 Stephen King books a year, usually one during October.

I am currently reading Fairy Tale and I am stuck on the fact that King's characters have the worst 1970's slang ever. Like, the characters from Pet Semetary basically talk the same way a character from his 2020 books talk and it drives me bonkers.

has anyone else noticed that?
Stephen King was always very good on concept, and somewhat lacking as a writer. Poor dialogue and average character development make for kinda boring reading after awhile, especially in that genre.

Stephen King was always very good on concept, and somewhat lacking as a writer. Poor dialogue and average character development make for kinda boring reading after awhile, especially in that genre.
that's kind of my take away too...I like him but don't love him and I am struggling to find why so many people think he is so great.

that's kind of my take away too...I like him but don't love him and I am struggling to find why so many people think he is so great.

Because of the Pet Cemetery movie.

That and IT, which gets regularly recycled into mainstream media every few years. Keeps his name out there.

That and IT, which gets regularly recycled into mainstream media every few years. Keeps his name out there.
No one ever has any love for Maximum Overdrive. :cry:

I mean, he has a ton of movies to his name that put him on that next level and some of them are actually good...

but his writing just feels...not good

Shining? Shawshank? I know both movies are better than the books but he has to get at least something for them. Mostly he's just a weirdo though.

Overrated. One of those guys you think is genius in your youth, then grow up and realize he’s just a semi-talented weirdo.
To me he falls into the same category as say Elton John, his early stuff was really good and he's labeled a genius so after a while no matter what he puts out, people will eat it up no matter how bad or mediocre it is, where as if someone else put the exact same thing out, they'd be panned for it.

Shining? Shawshank? I know both movies are better than the books but he has to get at least something for them. Mostly he's just a weirdo though.
I read The Shining last year...it's definitely not the same thing as the movie. Kubrick took a lot of liberties...

I may read IT this year.

I enjoyed The Running Man and Salem's Lot?:noidea:

Loved King up until my mid 20's then kind of drifted away. Still love Shawshank and The Shining, especially the movies. I started reading The Gunslinger back when it first came out, but it took him forever to release then next book so I lost interest. Haven't tried to read anything of his since then. Is anything worth it?

King's best work is when he's not trying to be fancy. I don't care what anyone says, he's one of the best story-tellers of all time.

What about Sitting on yer Arse Man smoking a Lot of Salems?
Is that the one where the guy wore nothing but a Habs jersey and tried to slice anyone who approached him with a skate?

"I don't think Stephen King's writing is very good. Also, I read two of his books every year."

Okay.
I am just not sure why I am trying to force it...

maybe I will try some Joe Hill