Stone + wood cabin

That is so bad ass it's beyond words

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Rock and masonry are not very good insulators as a rule. If you are heating the inside, as the heat passes through those wood panels, youre going to get condensation build up, and maybe even mold in that cavity. No way I wouldnt insulate any cavities like that.

Pete so you talking about behind the wood panels where the studs are and up against the rock…. Insulation down in that cavity? I wasn’t understanding cavity

what kind of insulation you recommend? Gimme details

Pete so you talking about behind the wood panels where the studs are and up against the rock…. Insulation down in that cavity? I wasn’t understanding cavity

what kind of insulation you recommend? Gimme details
Should be R19 insulation in a a void like that. The paper side of the insulation should always face the "heated" side of an area.

To do it properly, which it looks like youre kind of fucked now, you should install the insulation, put a layer of plastic, or other vapor barrier, and then do the wood. I would just hate to see you have to pull all that shit down cause there is a musty ass smell in the place, after doing all this work.

I know thats a humid environment, and a even if you didnt insulate, you should always have a vapor barrier.

Should be R19 insulation in a a void like that. The paper side of the insulation should always face the "heated" side of an area.

To do it properly, which it looks like youre kind of fucked now, you should install the insulation, put a layer of plastic, or other vapor barrier, and then do the wood. I would just hate to see you have to pull all that shit down cause there is a musty ass smell in the place, after doing all this work.

I know thats a humid environment, and a even if you didnt insulate, you should always have a vapor barrier.

I was told this rock ain’t your store bought rock. Mountain stone very dense and the water won’t go thru. But we did use black tar paper between the rock and wood.
Also it’s very breeezy up therrr on that hilltop. Everything dries quick even muh firewood.

I was told this rock ain’t your store bought rock. Mountain stone very dense and the water won’t go thru. But we did use black tar paper between the rock and wood.
Also it’s very breeezy up therrr on that hilltop. Everything dries quick even muh firewood.
Its not about what is coming in, its about temperature leaving.

Missing Insulation Feeds Mold
Warm air seeks gaps in the insulation, and when it hits colder surfaces as it flows out of or into the house, water condenses—which then feeds mold. These spots often occur on outside walls near floors or windows, at corners and around outlets and lights.

When hot air find cold surfaces, it produces condensation. Think about it like this. The wood, and stone is all cold when you get there. You fire up the heater, and the hot air starts to move around the inside. As it passes through, even that interior wooden paneling, the cavity behind is cold, and the stone is cold behind it. It can create, and most likely will create condensation. Even in Vegas I have seen drywall grow mold on it, on the ceiling, where there is missing insulation. as heat, not necessarily air, penetrates a cold surface, it becomes wet.

Worst case scenario, you could use blown in insulation, and dump in into that opening in the tops of the wall paneling. If you get a couple years donw the road, and shit starts to smell musty, you may end up having to do something.

Well, while I do agree with your assessment of Air leakage. I see a lot of it on windows that will not shut all the way or have large gaps, the customer always wants to know why there is mildew or mold in those areas. The main thing to remember here is this is a mountain cabin. Mold is everywhere, when I go play with my dogs in the woods we stir up all sorts of inhalants. I do agree that if you lived in a house that had a mold problem day in and day out may be hazardous. But that could take many years of exposure.
If you say some mold, he’s a little bleach water to kill it and then find out where the air leakage is taking place. Some clear silicone or may be a little mortar pointing up an area in Masonary would help.

during the time that I was a Home Builder, and since I live in a very humid area of the country we had a lot of continuing education concerning mold. I’m not scared of it. Like I said if you were unaware of the mold problem and you live in a house here in an ear out it could cause a problem.

Cold front hit up in the Arkansas hills Friday so I packed the truck up and my 6 year old daughter. Was a little warm Thursday night but the fan saved us. As a kid I remember my great grandpa having no AC. Was rough but the fan was crucial. Got a jackery 300 that worked pretty good and charged easy Friday in the 12v in the truck. Friday night it got down to 75 and it was chilly with the fan. Caught a big rainbow that was tasty. Good daddy daughter time before school starts. The river there was ice cold. Man was that awesome