String Trimmer/Weed Whacker/Weed Eater/whatever you call it.

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 18,000.00
I have a basic electric Black and Decker weed eater.
This one, except I took that stupid retarded wheel off of it.

1626807000707.png

It's a one line model instead of the 2 line that I see a lot of.

The 2 line seems to be more powerful than I need, plus it seems to use a lot more line.

Never tried the battery operated kind, but in the back of my mind, they seem like they are too heavy with the battery on the end. Kinda tired of dragging the extension cords out though.

Oh, and I got tired of paying out the ass for replacement spools at the big box stores, so I get them on line now.
Home Depot 3 spool pack = $15.99 plus tax.
On line 12 spools + 2 caps with springs = $22 includes tax and shipping.

What is everyone using, and is it different than what you would really like to have.
Battery/Corded/Gas 2cycle vs 4 stroke???

Got a big 2 string electric WORKS unit for my back 40.

And I have a 1 string B&D unit that is rechargeable for my front yard and the way far back portion of my back 40 I can't reach even with 2 long extension cords.

Do you find the battery too heavy??
Or is it not all that bad

How long will it last on a charge?

I can usually get one full trim done on the charge. Battery isn't that heavy and like my BBQ propane tank I always have a 2nd one ready to rock.

I have the battery powered worx. Single line and came with 2 batteries. They are quite small and not heavy at all. Weighs less than a gas powered unit. Rare I'm doing something so long that I run through both batteries. As for string, sure you can by pre spooled, but it's not hard or expensive to buy bulk line and spool your own.

I do battery because I'm too damned lazy to deal with gas and oil when I don't have projects/space big enough to justify it.

As for the wheel, sure I keep that thing on mine. Makes the edging between times I pull out the power edger super fast and easy. The edger I have is electric/power corded and it's a black and decker.

I sold my gas weed whacker a few years ago and bought a battery powered one.

I'm still happy I did that. It's a lot less work.

And yeah, the wheel thing on the front is ridiculously stupid.

Do you find the battery too heavy??
Or is it not all that bad

How long will it last on a charge?

Compared to hauling a gas motored one around, the battery one feels like a feather. A full charge lasts about 40 minutes, which is more than enough to do my yard.

I'd rage at having to deal with an extension cord.

I've got a Stihl. It also has a tiller and pole saw attachments. 2 stroke FTW.

I have a battery powered one too, but it doesn't do too well with real thick grass or brush, and the battery doesn't last long enough.

I just got a Ryobi weed eater because I needed a new battery for my blower (which is awesome and hedge trimmer equally great) and it was basically the same price as the replacement battery. I look at it as I got the battery and the weed eater was free.

Having tried it yet but don’t have high expectations so maybe it will surprise me.

I finally broke down and bought a battery mower this year, but haven't switched the trimmer or blower to battery yet. Still using 2 stroke versions of those. They still start right up like they day I bought them, so it's hard to justify replacing.

I just got a Ryobi weed eater because I needed a new battery for my blower (which is awesome and hedge trimmer equally great) and it was basically the same price as the replacement battery. I look at it as I got the battery and the weed eater was free.

Having tried it yet but don’t have high expectations so maybe it will surprise me.
I’m surprised the damn thing works pretty well.

I got tired of getting my ass ripped off at the Box Stores for replacement spools.
$15.99 for a 3 pack. JFC

Went to Amazon and got the same exact spools, with an extra cap and spring for $1.91 each.
I got the 12 pack.

A much better deal, and Amazon get's it there fast.

interestingly, MIL is askin me for a recommendation -
they have a Home Depot in San Angelo,
and looks like the Makita XRU23SM1
would be good for her -
at only 7 lbs,
but also only a 18v battery -
she's 80, so i'm thinkin the weight factor
would make this a better choice
than the 11+ lb 40V Ryobi -

thoughts?

I still have a gas trimmer that I don’t use, but this year i bought into the Worx system and got trimmer and blower and drill and saw and stuff (my “Father’s Day present” to myself). I love that my arm doesn’t feel like it is still vibrating after finishing. I want to get a electric mower just haven’t really felt the urge. I have a electric and gas snow blower (2 diff units not some weird hybrid you haven’t heard of).