GAME SUGAR BOWL (Semi): #3 Texas vs #2 Washington • 7:45CT • ESPN

Very few freshman make an impact. Sark is going to have to address WR, DL, and Linebackers for sure.
Cook will be in his 2nd year, Golden was taken through the portal.. they also have Moore who they are high on (i'm a bit pessimistic cause he seems to always drop easy balls) and Nibblet who are also entering year 2. Wingo is a freak and I have a feel that he can do what Worthy did in his freshman season. Think Sark is going to add another WR from the portal sometime this off season

When people bring up DL.. they just mean the interior guys (Sweat/Murphy..maybe Collins) because the edges/DEs are coming back and they have Collin Simmons coming in as an EE.. they also grabbed one of the top Edge/DEs in the portal in Trey Moore..

Linebackers.. they will have to replace Ford.. but Hill will return and there is some optimism that David Ghenda could also return for his last year.. they are also high on LeFeau and the other LBs that are entering year 2.
What are you talking about? Mitchell was open. He put WAY too much air under that ball. If he throws it with velocity to the back shoulder -- Mitchell could have made the catch before the DB had a chance to make a play on it or he would have had to commit a PI to stop it, as Mitchell had him boxed out.

And AGAIN -- he put up his numbers between the 20's. He couldn't make the plays once the field shrunk. You can talk about PFF all you'd like. The guy was 24-43 with 1/3 of his passing yards coming against a defense playing to keep the WR's in play and the clock running.

The funniest part is -- you sound like all my fellow Detroit Lions fans who'd talk about how great Stat Padford would play, when he'd throw for 150 yards in the 4th quarter of games we are trailing by double digits.

Texas lost that game because they let Ewers throw WAY too much. Texas wins the game if they simply run between the tackles.
I'm sure Quinn will have that issue resolved in his 6th year (2026?) like Pennix :)

lol wait.. so fans booing him and yelling ou sucks means the UT fans are in their feels.. But the kid who flashes horns down receiving an award isn't?

lol

coverage wasn't that bad on some of those plays.. just they were delivered on the spot..

can't get mad at that
Watching the other bowl games, it's been clear just how spoiled we are with him and those receivers the last two years. Gonna be missed a lot.

It's been something great to kick back and know when he chucks a ball down field it's gonna drop right where it should. Being at games where you can see things develop, and you see the receiver have a step and you cheer as soon as the ball leaves his hand, it's special.

I still giggle like a child every time.

Watching the other bowl games, it's been clear just how spoiled we are with him and those receivers the last two years. Gonna be missed a lot.

It's been something great to kick back and know when he chucks a ball down field it's gonna drop right where it should. Being at games where you can see things develop, and you see the receiver have a step and you cheer as soon as the ball leaves his hand, it's special.

I still giggle like a child every time.
are you worried about the future though? Udub isn't recruiting that well.. it feels like a perfect storm for this season.. however down the road.. I know the portal is a huge thing too but doesn't seem as of now they are cashing in on this run.. perhaps in February and April?

are you worried about the future though? Udub isn't recruiting that well.. it feels like a perfect storm for this season.. however down the road.. I know the portal is a huge thing too but doesn't seem as of now they are cashing in on this run.. perhaps in February and April?
Not really. Historically, UW's game has never been top recruiting classes. Rankings wise they aren't far off of where they should be based on some stud teams they've had in the past, and now with the portal, it's a whole different game. I think my biggest concern recruiting wise is it seems like this staff hasn't made locking down Washington recruits a top priority (which historically, getting the top Washington talent and tapping into California HAS been their game when they're at their best).

But it's a whole new world now with the portal, seems like they got the guys they wanted through there.

I guess at this point I have no reason to question DeBoer and co, and will trust he's on top of it unless he gives me a reason not to.

Mater breakdown of most of the big plays for UW.

I remember when Helfrich had Oregon in the title game but we were lacking on the trail. I thought, "I'm sure he knows what he's doing. We just had a player win the Heisman and we're playing in the title game"

I remember when Helfrich had Oregon in the title game but we were lacking on the trail. I thought, "I'm sure he knows what he's doing. We just had a player win the Heisman and we're playing in the title game"
Except, Helfrich was a terrible head coach. DeBoer is landing guys he wants, the class they have coming in isn't ranked any worse than the classes that got us here. He is using the portal. Helfrich took over the Kelly program from within and coasted his next couple years. DeBoer took over a 4-8 program that was in a hard spiral and is in the championship game two years later.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no point ever bringing up Helfrich in a UW discussion unless you wanna talk about 70-21.

Except, Helfrich was a terrible head coach. DeBoer is landing guys he wants, the class they have coming in isn't ranked any worse than the classes that got us here. He is using the portal. Helfrich took over the Kelly program from within and coasted his next couple years. DeBoer took over a 4-8 program that was in a hard spiral and is in the championship game two years later.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no point ever bringing up Helfrich in a UW discussion unless you wanna talk about 70-21.

The point was you don't really know what kind of coach you have until a majority of players on the team were recruited by them. Even in this era, that typically happens in year 3. Nobody's arguing Helfrich is a better coach than DeBoer. The point is it's hard to know what kind of program a coach will have until at least year 3. UW loses an NFL caliber WR room and NFL caliber QB next season. We'll see how easily DeBoer replaces that. I don't think they're going to fall off the face of the earth but I also don't think they're just going to simply reload and do it again next year. I don't think they're recruiting well enough to just expect to reload.

The point was you don't really know what kind of coach you have until a majority of players on the team were recruited by them. Even in this era, that typically happens in year 3. Nobody's arguing Helfrich is a better coach than DeBoer. The point is it's hard to know what kind of program a coach will have until at least year 3. UW loses an NFL caliber WR room and NFL caliber QB next season. We'll see how easily DeBoer replaces that. I don't think they're going to fall off the face of the earth but I also don't think they're just going to simply reload and do it again next year. I don't think they're recruiting well enough to just expect to reload.
I get it. I had to work my way into a 70-21 jab though.

Crazy to think about the 4-8 team that lost to Montana and now both UW and Montana have a chance at their respective National Championships

Crazy to think about the 4-8 team that lost to Montana and now both UW and Montana have a chance at their respective National Championships

Going from Donovan to DeBoer/Grubb is pretty much a 180 offensively.

It's crazy how good the team was last year too. Think it's easy to overlook for anyone who's not a UW fan, but 11-2 with a new coach at a program that was 4-8 and lost to an FCS team the year before.

A bad loss made it easier to overlook I guess, but they just caught fire in November, Penix had similar stats, they now own the longest active win streak in college football. Been a crazy ride.

Going from Donovan to DeBoer/Grubb is pretty much a 180 offensively.
The real kick in the nuts with the Lake team was that the defense wasn't even that good. Think we figured there'd be some growing pains on the offensive side, but it was like, hell yeah, we've locked down one of the best up and coming defensive minds in the sport. And then it was just completely like, what the absolute fuck is this?

The real kick in the nuts with the Lake team was that the defense wasn't even that good. Think we figured there'd be some growing pains on the offensive side, but it was like, hell yeah, we've locked down one of the best up and coming defensive minds in the sport. And then it was just completely like, what the absolute fuck is this?

The defense may not been as good as people were hoping for but Donovan is one of the worst coordinator hires I can remember. Oregon hiring Hoke as DC might have been worse. 2021 UW really didn't have a bad roster. That should have been a solid 8 win team, at a minimum. I even said it at the time. That was just coaching malpractice.