GAME SUGAR BOWL (Semi): #3 Texas vs #2 Washington • 7:45CT • ESPN

Completely disagree, getting 8 yards is way more probable than getting hurt and stopping the clock.
Dillon Johnson didn't have an 8 yard run the entire game on 21 carries. I'm guessing it wasn't going to happen when the entire world knows he is running the ball with Texas having no timeouts.

And running the ball brings into play the chance for turning the ball over and giving it to Texas at the 40 yard line.

Wasn't a terrible call, but understand why people have questioned it.

What are you talking about? Mitchell was open. He put WAY too much air under that ball. If he throws it with velocity to the back shoulder -- Mitchell could have made the catch before the DB had a chance to make a play on it or he would have had to commit a PI to stop it, as Mitchell had him boxed out.

And AGAIN -- he put up his numbers between the 20's. He couldn't make the plays once the field shrunk. You can talk about PFF all you'd like. The guy was 24-43 with 1/3 of his passing yards coming against a defense playing to keep the WR's in play and the clock running.

The funniest part is -- you sound like all my fellow Detroit Lions fans who'd talk about how great Stat Padford would play, when he'd throw for 150 yards in the 4th quarter of games we are trailing by double digits.

Texas lost that game because they let Ewers throw WAY too much. Texas wins the game if they simply run between the tackles.
So your rebuttal is you sound like fans talking about a Super Bowl winning QB and guy that is probably a cut below HOF. Good rebuttal

I don't think it was a crazy call to run it there, but they take a knee, let the play clock run to zero, you leave 12-15 seconds on the clock. You punt it and pin them deep with no timeouts. Game would have been over.

Running the ball like that, you bring in negatives like a turnover or a crazy scenario like we saw last night, where the guy is hurt and can't get off the field.
Yes, but the keeling and playing for the punt has its own risks too. Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess. How often do we bitch about coaches getting ultra conservative and with that how often to we see that bite teams in the ass too?

They asked the OC about it on local sports radio, he said their chart had 15-20 seconds left if they didn't get the first down, and that's what they had scripted for that situation.

It obviously didn't go as planned, they obviously didn't see a clock stopping injury coming, and the only reason anyone is pretending that's a real possibility they should have seen coming is because it happened, if they ran 3 times and didn't get their first down without the injury, they are in the same situation as if they knelt and no one thinks much of it.

I guess we don't need to agree here, but calling it Cristobal level is objectively silly. Cristobal had the game won, Washington needed a first down to end it without Texas getting a chance.
Texas would have had the ball on the 25 with 15 seconds left to win it. That would have been game over. Keep in mind it was only 15 seconds, because Washington threw on 3rd prior to the FG to go up 2 scores.. DeBoer did a great job with his team, but he mismanaged the final 1-1.5 minutes of the game

So your rebuttal is you sound like fans talking about a Super Bowl winning QB and guy that is probably a cut below HOF. Good rebuttal
I missed where he won a super bowl with the Lions? Hell, I missed where he won a playoff game with the Lions?

As I said -- look at what Ewers had going into the 4th quarter. What did he have? 100 yards passing? Washington goes to prevent and run the clock and Ewers throws for a ton. They get a fluke possession because of fluke injury and he throws for 60+ more. Now you are trying to say Ewers was the 2nd best player in the CFP:facepalm:

You are right -- he played awesome. That's why you trailed the entire game and trailed by two scores most of the 4th quarter. Because he played so well.

Yes, but the keeling and playing for the punt has its own risks too. Damned if you do damned if you don't I guess. How often do we bitch about coaches getting ultra conservative and with that how often to we see that bite teams in the ass too?

They asked the OC about it on local sports radio, he said their chart had 15-20 seconds left if they didn't get the first down, and that's what they had scripted for that situation.

It obviously didn't go as planned, they obviously didn't see a clock stopping injury coming, and the only reason anyone is pretending that's a real possibility they should have seen coming is because it happened, if they ran 3 times and didn't get their first down without the injury, they are in the same situation as if they knelt and no one thinks much of it.
Very true. It is easy to comment after the fact. As you said -- you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Washington played a great game. I can't stand when teams get up and then go conversative on defense, which is what it looked like Washington did in the 4th.

Should be a really good game on Monday. Can't wait to see Will Johnson/Odunze match up. Will be interesting to see if he can slow him down. Will Johnson gives UM a big advantage as he is big time CB and he is 6'2", so he can match up with the big WR's. Odunze worries me though.

Texas would have had the ball on the 25 with 15 seconds left to win it. That would have been game over. Keep in mind it was only 15 seconds, because Washington threw on 3rd prior to the FG to go up 2 scores.. DeBoer did a great job with his team, but he mismanaged the final 1-1.5 minutes of the game
I get it, you think DeBoer mismanaged the game.

Doing what you plan on doing for a situation you prepare for and having an injury throw a wrench in it isn't mismanagement, it's management with bad luck. But call it whatever you want.

Very true. It is easy to comment after the fact. As you said -- you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Washington played a great game. I can't stand when teams get up and then go conversative on defense, which is what it looked like Washington did in the 4th.

Should be a really good game on Monday. Can't wait to see Will Johnson/Odunze match up. Will be interesting to see if he can slow him down. Will Johnson gives UM a big advantage as he is big time CB and he is 6'2", so he can match up with the big WR's. Odunze worries me though.
Should be a good one for sure. I don't know that either team has faced another team quite like each other.

The thing I don't see talked about is the total and complete fucking idiot that got the 15y kick catch penalty.

That yardage gave them momentum. Without that they may well have came up short even with the extra time on the injury.

If they had lost the game I'd have made that kid ride a bike back to Seattle.

I was fucking screaming at the TV.

Last edited:
The thing I don't see talked about is the total and complete fucking idiot that got the 15y kick catch penalty.

That yardage game them momentum. Without that they may well have came up short even with the extra time on the injury.

That was such an idiotic play. Zero reason to be even close to returner on the fair catch

That yardage gave them momentum. Without that they may well have came up short even with the extra time on the injury.

Yeah -- that was WILD. It was the snapper if I remember correctly. I couldn't believe that when I was watching.

With the guy getting injured to give Texas a free timeout, to that catch interference -- I couldn't fathom how crazy Washington fans would be going.

Really bad look for the running back if he isn't even really injured and he couldn't get his ass to the sideline in the most important game of his life.
He's for sure injured, his ankle has been fucked since the first Oregon game, he probably aggravated whatever it is. He was clearly in a lot of pain, was carted off, and came out for the ceremony on crutches.

If it's not broken though, wrap it up, shoot it up, and let's do this. He is desperately needed for this game.

FUCK! WE LOST! FUCK FUCK CUNT FUCK CUNT!!!
But at least you had the 2nd best player in the CFP, in Quinn Ewers coming back next year. So you have that going for you.

He's for sure injured, his ankle has been fucked since the first Oregon game, he probably aggravated whatever it is. He was clearly in a lot of pain, was carted off, and came out for the ceremony on crutches.

If it's not broken though, wrap it up, shoot it up, and let's do this. He is desperately needed for this game.
If it wasn't broken and xrays show no structural damage, he couldn't have been that hurt -- I'd be livid if he were my RB and in that moment, he couldn't get to the sideline.

I know he had to know the situation -- as soon as I saw him down, my first thought was, he is about to give Texas a free timeout here.

Yeah -- that was WILD. It was the snapper if I remember correctly. I couldn't believe that when I was watching.

With the guy getting injured to give Texas a free timeout, to that catch interference -- I couldn't fathom how crazy Washington fans would be going.
Fucking livid.

There were lots of mistakes. The muffed punt, going for it on 4th inside the red zone, but that kick catch bullshit had me on full tilt.

If it wasn't broken and xrays show no structural damage, he couldn't have been that hurt -- I'd be livid if he were my RB and in that moment, he couldn't get to the sideline.

I know he had to know the situation -- as soon as I saw him down, my first thought was, he is about to give Texas a free timeout here.
He has battled that foot injury for quite a while now and played in games so hobbled he could barely walk.

The problem with college is they don't have to tell you the truth about injuries. They can tell you he's negative and likely to play and then not play him. He may also not be able to walk much of the week and still grit it out.

Either way, he's one tough son of a bitch that has played all year through some pretty painful shit. He had to have tweaked it pretty bad to be down as long as he was.