Table Saws

So @Orlando_Eagles
What did you get
Speak of the damn devil...I’ve been really digging into this tonight. I’ve been looking close at this one from Skil.

SKIL 15 Amp 10 Inch Table Saw - TS6307-00 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9RFJ2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0DEVY94AW5JB12KWK8N6?psc=1

I like the brand. I like the way it can easily collapse down and take limited space in my limited shop area. I did read one review that said the build quality is a little under par for Skil....the table cups in the middle and the fence isn’t plumb. It’s meant to be a work site saw, and maybe not perfect for finish work like I do.

But....it would also be a huge leap forward over what I have now.

Now I’m debating if this will be good or I need to contemplate the $500-$600 range of saws.

Speak of the damn devil...I’ve been really digging into this tonight. I’ve been looking close at this one from Skil.

SKIL 15 Amp 10 Inch Table Saw - TS6307-00 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9RFJ2K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0DEVY94AW5JB12KWK8N6?psc=1

I like the brand. I like the way it can easily collapse down and take limited space in my limited shop area. I did read one review that said the build quality is a little under par for Skil....the table cups in the middle and the fence isn’t plumb. It’s meant to be a work site saw, and maybe not perfect for finish work like I do.

Now I’m debating if this will be good or I need to contemplate the $500-$600 range of saws.

That's going work great.
That fence not getting centered and straight might irritate me some.

That's going work great.
That fence not getting centered and straight might irritate me some.
Yep, I’ve dealt with a fence that isn’t plumb and I’m not wanting to do that anymore.

Read some more reviews that it’s got a quality name, but it’s not quality. Probably going back to the drawing board on this.

Yep, I’ve dealt with a fence that isn’t plumb and I’m not wanting to do that anymore.

Read some more reviews that it’s got a quality name, but it’s not quality. Probably going back to the drawing board on this.

Sounds like I would too.
Also sounds like more money probably.

But with these table saws, bigger seems to always be better, but hard to be portable.

I had a buddy who had like a 12" or 14" 220 commercial saw.
That was one bad boy. There wasn't anything it couldn't tackle. But it was heavy.

Sounds like I would too.
Also sounds like more money probably.

But with these table saws, bigger seems to always be better, but hard to be portable.

I had a buddy who had like a 12" or 14" 220 commercial saw.
That was one bad boy. There wasn't anything it couldn't tackle. But it was heavy.
I really like the Bosch that @Rex Racer mentioned earlier in this thread. Reviews read it as damn solid and it does collapse down for storage.

I’ve just felt like I needed to check out the lower tiers before looking at that price range.

Lately I’ve been coming to grips with the extremely base table saw I have. It works...decent. But there is no way to install a zero clearance plate on it and smaller cuts just get all caught up making things unsafe. I looked at putting a riving knife in recently, but there is utterly no where in the saw to attach it to. A very base hardware store model.

So....I’m shopping for a “worksite” type of table saw as space is a premium in my garage. I’m looking for something without the above mentioned limitations that can be safer and more sturdy.

Any advice from those in the know?
I'm in the same situation as you but so far my 'toy' table saw hasn't held me back. Maybe your skills are more developed than mine. My fence is crappy too, I just measure off the edge of table to make sure it's set square.

My advice, my friend? Spend the extra 200 bucks or so and get that Dewalt or Bosch that @Rex Racer recommended. You won't regret it but you might regret settling for that Skil model. Good luck to you!

I'm in the same situation as you but so far my 'toy' table saw hasn't held me back. Maybe your skills are more developed than mine. My fence is crappy too, I just measure off the edge of table to make sure it's set square.

My advice, my friend? Spend the extra 200 bucks or so and get that Dewalt or Bosch that @Rex Racer recommended. You won't regret it but you might regret settling for that Skil model. Good luck to you!
Yeah, I’ve been doing that too. The cheap fence I have has too much play in it and doesn’t easily set square, so I have to measure off the table end and make small adjustments. It’s time consuming.

I read up a lot more on that Skil model last night. It certainly has some pros going for it, but it also has too many cons. The fence on it seems to have an issue with being plumb vertically and holding it. That’s fine if your ripping plywood for floor or wall boards, but not so much if doing finish work.

I’m going to keep looking, but it’s looking more and more like I’m going to the $600 range.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of Skil tools. They are definitely geared for the home owner/hobbyist and I need something a lot sturdier and more durable.

Keep in mind that if you are a veteran or know one that would tag along and buy it for you you can get 10% off at Lowe's and most Home Depot stores.

Keep in mind that if you are a veteran or know one that would tag along and buy it for you you can get 10% off at Lowe's and most Home Depot stores.

This is a real thing.
My Nephew and my Son In Law both get it.
And I always forget when I buy something big.

homer simpson doh GIF

This is a real thing.
My Nephew and my Son In Law both get it.
And I always forget when I buy something big.

homer simpson doh GIF
I'm at both stores pretty often so I set up a MyLowe's account and sent them the info required (copy of DD-214 or VA card with dates of service) and now I just scan a card at Lowe's and 10% of anything I buy in the store or online is deducted. HD is different in that I have to ask the cashier each time I check out for the military discount and online purchases are not eligible. I generally like Home Depot more than our local Lowe's, but I'm not a fan of that.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of Skil tools. They are definitely geared for the home owner/hobbyist and I need something a lot sturdier and more durable.

Good tip. I know it well. Dad is an ex-Marine and comes with me to Lowe’s on big buys. Pulls out his military ID from 53 years ago and the cashier always gets a chuckle.

I'm at both stores pretty often so I set up a MyLowe's account and sent them the info required (copy of DD-214 or VA card with dates of service) and now I just scan a card at Lowe's and 10% of anything I buy in the store or online is deducted. HD is different in that I have to ask the cashier each time I check out for the military discount and online purchases are not eligible. I generally like Home Depot more than our local Lowe's, but I'm not a fan of that.
I’m neither a fan of either store over the other....but the ease of a 10% discount for Vets puts Lowe’s over the top for me.

Hey @Orlando_Eagles
Did you buy that radial arm saw yet??
7 hp ought to cut most stuff

1622385975034.png

Hey @Orlando_Eagles
Did you buy that radial arm saw yet??
7 hp ought to cut most stuff

View attachment 31700
I’ve honestly shelved the plan for now. Money hasn’t been an issue, but I’ve put some other priorities ahead of it for now.

I honestly had never noticed a radial saw before you mentioned it. I have read up more on them, and I REALLY like the idea. The functionality of this saw (and the 7HP) is something I could do good stuff with. My concern is the size of the saw. I have need currently to be more compact to a corner of a garage for storage. I’ll research more on radial saws that might store in a more compact way, but the size of a radial saw is limiting for me at this point.

From what I understand, Bosch has a better reputation overall than Makita, correct?
To my understanding, yes. Bosch is a well respected name. I can’t think of exacts currently, but I know I’ve read with some tools Bosch might not be the best for the cost.

I do own a Makita compact router. I can’t say much for comparison as I’ve never tried the Bosch router, but I am really not displeased with my Makita. The only issue I’ve run into is brining on routed cuts occasionally, and I can honestly see that being user error (too much or too little RPM for the cut, uncleaned bits) and not the unit itself. It’s been flawless otherwise.

From what I understand, Bosch has a better reputation overall than Makita, correct?
Meh, it varies from tool to tool. I've had a pair of Makita 18v cordless drills (one is an impact driver) for 11 years and they have been used and abused daily with no issues so far. I had a Makita sawzall for a while and found it to be weak and chintzy so I sold it for cheap to a buddy and started using a Hitachi beast that I got for free from a local window and door manufacturer.

Dewalt circular saw, although I still have my 30 year old Milwaukee for demo and dry cutting stone, granite, tile etc

Makita jigsaw

Bosch hammer drill

Rigid 10" cast iron top shop table saw

Bosch portable 10" table saw

Bostich framing gun and brad nailer

Dewalt compressor

Senco finish nailer and framing gun

Hitachi brad nailer and separate pin nailer

Dewalt brad nailer

Dewalt orbital sanders that I'm not a fan of.

Milwaukee corded drills (1/2" and 3/8" chuck)

Lg porter Cable router

Small Rigid trim router

Rigid sliding 10" compound miter saw

Makita 8 1/2 sliding compound saw

Hahahaha, and the list goes on.

The point is that I think you'll find that most tradesmen and craftsmen aren't married to one brand across the tool spectrum. I had a Rigid 10" :eyebrows: portable table saw that served me well for a dozen years or more and then I was helping my buddy with a project and worked with the Bosch and liked it so much I sold mine to a friend and bought the Bosch.

To my understanding, yes. Bosch is a well respected name. I can’t think of exacts currently, but I know I’ve read with some tools Bosch might not be the best for the cost.

I do own a Makita compact router. I can’t say much for comparison as I’ve never tried the Bosch router, but I am really not displeased with my Makita. The only issue I’ve run into is brining on routed cuts occasionally, and I can honestly see that being user error (too much or too little RPM for the cut, uncleaned bits) and not the unit itself. It’s been flawless otherwise.
If your getting poor results it is likely caused by a dull bit or trying to take the whole bite in one shot on harder species of wood. Going against the grain is also going to cause problems.