Table Saws

Meh, it varies from tool to tool. I've had a pair of Makita 18v cordless drills (one is an impact driver) for 11 years and they have been used and abused daily with no issues so far. I had a Makita sawzall for a while and found it to be weak and chintzy so I sold it for cheap to a buddy and started using a Hitachi beast that I got for free from a local window and door manufacturer.

Dewalt circular saw, although I still have my 30 year old Milwaukee for demo and dry cutting stone, granite, tile etc

Makita jigsaw

Bosch hammer drill

Rigid 10" cast iron top shop table saw

Bosch portable 10" table saw

Bostich framing gun and brad nailer

Dewalt compressor

Senco finish nailer and framing gun

Hitachi brad nailer and separate pin nailer

Dewalt brad nailer

Dewalt orbital sanders that I'm not a fan of.

Milwaukee corded drills (1/2" and 3/8" chuck)

Lg porter Cable router

Small Rigid trim router

Rigid sliding 10" compound miter saw

Makita 8 1/2 sliding compound saw

Hahahaha, and the list goes on.

The point is that I think you'll find that most tradesmen and craftsmen aren't married to one brand across the tool spectrum. I had a Rigid 10" :eyebrows: portable table saw that served me well for a dozen years or more and then I was helping my buddy with a project and worked with the Bosch and liked it so much I sold mine to a friend and bought the Bosch.
I have been moving away from everything except for Milwaukee lately. Just got the drill/impact set. Then I got one of the big boy sawsalls, and an angle grinder. I fucking love these tools more than anything I have worked with. Oh, got a leaf blower, and an adjustable LED job light too. The battery life is outstanding, and I never knew how nice a cordless grinder could be. Dont see myself buying anything as time goes on. The shit is just really good.

Rigid 10" cast iron top shop table saw
I know this is an old thread but I am curious about the Rigid portable table saws. I have used Rigid metal working tools for all of my career and really like them, gotten great service from them as well, but never their table saws. I am about to buy either a 10" Rigid Pro series(great warranty if the stand behind it) or a Dewalt 10". I only have a couple of projects around the house and my brother ... professional carpenter ... is going to lead on and I am planning on giving him the saw as a thank you. He is pushing for a Dewalt(doesn't know I am giving it to him) mostly due to cost/brand experience and I am curious which one you would rather have on a job setting and why. TIA.

From what I understand, Bosch has a better reputation overall than Makita, correct?

I had a cordless drill of theirs that cost way more than it was worth at the time and used it for several years.....had an extra couple batteries and two chargers to ensure a battery was always available.

I swear for 3 or four years I had it, I would have recommended this brand to anyone. Then suddenly and without warning it fucking fell apart. No shit! The chuck from the torque control forward just fucking fell off one day.

Mr Bean Reaction GIF

So now I have three batteries and two chargers for a drill that literally fucking broke in half. :gaah:

I know this is an old thread but I am curious about the Rigid portable table saws. I have used Rigid metal working tools for all of my career and really like them, gotten great service from them as well, but never their table saws. I am about to buy either a 10" Rigid Pro series(great warranty if the stand behind it) or a Dewalt 10". I only have a couple of projects around the house and my brother ... professional carpenter ... is going to lead on and I am planning on giving him the saw as a thank you. He is pushing for a Dewalt(doesn't know I am giving it to him) mostly due to cost/brand experience and I am curious which one you would rather have on a job setting and why. TIA.

I’m just going to be one of those assholes that shares an opinion without direct product experience. I’ve still not sprung for a new table saw myself….but have done shit loads of research and reading up.

Short read….what I’ve read up is that you can’t go wrong either way. The DeWalt might be better overall, the the Rigids are really product too. Other factors like the warranty should help differentiate fully. I can’t speak to Rigids service though.

I’m just going to be one of those assholes that shares an opinion without direct product experience. I’ve still not sprung for a new table saw myself….but have done shit loads of research and reading up.

Short read….what I’ve read up is that you can’t go wrong either way. The DeWalt might be better overall, the the Rigids are really product too. Other factors like the warranty should help differentiate fully. I can’t speak to Rigids service though.
Thanks. He is not a cheap bastard but is very tight with his money when it comes to tools. TBH, he has been thinking about a 8 1/2" table saw without the stand, using sawhorses instead ... due entirely to costs. It's not because he can't afford it but rather he sees it as a luxury item that is not needed in his day to day work.

As I said way back at the beginning of this thread the portable 10" Rigid table saw that I had was a really good tool and I had no issues with it for a dozen years or so. I decided to sell it because some of the accessories were getting a little bit beat up which was more my fault than anything else and and I noticed that my buddy's Bosch tablesaw had a super easy portable stand that was One Touch up or down and I thought it was time for an upgrade so I did.

Thanks. He is not a cheap bastard but is very tight with his money when it comes to tools. TBH, he has been thinking about a 8 1/2" table saw without the stand, using sawhorses instead ... due entirely to costs. It's not because he can't afford it but rather he sees it as a luxury item that is not needed in his day to day work.

I’m sure he won’t mind more bells and whistles (or, you know, a stand made to made the saw as safe as possible) if it’s given to him. Lol.

My read up on both brands have been consistently positive. You probably can’t go wrong either way.

As for the warranty service on these tools I'm not sure if there are specific dewalt service centers in your area, but around here it would be one of the local tool repair shops that would be the authorized repair centers and they're pretty good.

Rigid's lifetime warranty (if you register the tool right after you buy it) is pretty enticing and I do have a few of those.

Last edited:
As for the warranty service on these tools I'm not sure if there are specific dewalt service centers in your area, but around here it would be one of the local tool repair shops that would be the authorized repair centers and they're pretty good.

Rigid's lifetime warranty (if you register the tool right after you buy it) is pretty enticing and I do have a few of those.
Do you generally get good service through their warranties or is it a cat and mouse type game? I am trying to gauge whether or not the warranty is worth $50 more than the Dewalt saw, which appears to be the best with initial quality.

Do you generally get good service through their warranties or is it a cat and mouse type game? I am trying to gauge whether or not the warranty is worth $50 more than the Dewalt saw, which appears to be the best with initial quality.
My FIL has mostly Rigid battery tools. drill, impact, circular hand saw, and sawsalls type. Nothing else, really, but he loves them.

My FIL has mostly Rigid battery tools. drill, impact, circular hand saw, and sawsalls type. Nothing else, really, but he loves them.
My brother is like that with cordless Dewalt. He really loves most of the tools and just tolerates the others because the batteries match. I fully expect that he will break something on whatever saw he gets within five years so the warranty matters to me. I have no problem believing the Dewalt is a better saw but if the Rigid is even close in reliability/tolerances then it may have more value because of the warranty.

In 35 years of playing this game I've only had to bring 1 non-pneumatic tool in for service and it wasn't under warranty. It was a Porter Cable corded multi tool and it took forever for printed circuit board/switch assembly to come in.

I've had a few nail guns fixed at service centers and in recent years I've taken to just ordering up the repair kits and change them out myself. It's a pretty simple process