Tennessee Hate Week ---The Last Time Tennessee Beat Alabama

In reality, Alabama vs. Tennessee has been a pretty shitty rivalry. It is a rivalry of streaks were one team is up and the other is terrible. Only during the years around the changes is it fun. Alabama dominated Tennessee for the most part with Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. They also had the advantage in the late 1980s-early 1990s until Manning broke what was the longest streak in the series (Saban has now broke that record). The series was tied in 1960 and in 1970.

Tennessee will likely get competitive again once Saban leaves.

Still, I don't see Tennessee getting fully back. Not only does Tennessee have to compete with Alabama now but they also have Florida and Georgia. All 3 programs are superior to Tennessee, something that wasn't true in 1992 for example. Tennessee owes most of its historical success to Bob Neyland.

In reality, Alabama vs. Tennessee has been a pretty shitty rivalry. It is a rivalry of streaks were one team is up and the other is terrible. Only during the years around the changes is it fun. Alabama dominated Tennessee for the most part with Bear Bryant and Nick Saban. They also had the advantage in the late 1980s-early 1990s until Manning broke what was the longest streak in the series (Saban has now broke that record). The series was tied in 1960 and in 1970.

Still, I don't see Tennessee getting fully back. Not only does Tennessee have to compete with Alabama now but they also have Florida and Georgia. All 3 programs are superior to Tennessee, something that wasn't true in 1992 for example. Tennessee owes most of its historical success to Bob Neyland.

This is pretty spot on.

I'm turning 35 next year, so I grew up during the 95-06 (mostly) dominated by UT games.

I absolutely have hated UT and sometimes if people ask if I dislike UT or Auburn more, it takes me a minute and it depends on the current scenario.

What is sad, I got invited over a friend's house that day. I probably won't even watch the game.

IMHO it will take UT getting recruits from north Georgia to start consistently challenging for the SEC East. Phil did a great job with that and things haven't been the same since. IIRC Dooley destroyed a lot of relationships with high school coaches and the out of state relationships will take considerable time and effort to get back there.

This is what I'm hearing the OP say.......................

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

IMHO it will take UT getting recruits from north Georgia to start consistently challenging for the SEC East. Phil did a great job with that and things haven't been the same since. IIRC Dooley destroyed a lot of relationships with high school coaches and the out of state relationships will take considerable time and effort to get back there.

I keep hearing that we need to get recruits but we got talent. We lack coaching, discipline, solid QB play, and heart. We have 4 and 5 stars out there playing but they play like 2 stars.

Player development is sorely need at Tennessee. Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt seem to both have a problem with this.

I keep hearing that we need to get recruits but we got talent. We lack coaching, discipline, solid QB play, and heart. We have 4 and 5 stars out there playing but they play like 2 stars.

Player development is sorely need at Tennessee. Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt seem to both have a problem with this.
I see what you are saying but have a different perspective. Yes UT has talent but it is not a depth of talent capable of matching up with the top teams in the conference. IMHO it really is Clemson's resurgence that has killed UT recruiting. Four and five star talents regularly wash out and if you do not have a lot of them then one miss would be very damaging. I just do not see the depth in talent to force enough competition for the next step. BTW, there is no ill will from me for the Vols ... the SEC is better when UT contends and as an Auburn fan, I know the feelings y'all are dealing with.

I see what you are saying but have a different perspective. Yes UT has talent but it is not a depth of talent capable of matching up with the top teams in the conference. IMHO it really is Clemson's resurgence that has killed UT recruiting. Four and five star talents regularly wash out and if you do not have a lot of them then one miss would be very damaging. I just do not see the depth in talent to force enough competition for the next step. BTW, there is no ill will from me for the Vols ... the SEC is better when UT contends and as an Auburn fan, I know the feelings y'all are dealing with.

I haven't read any ill will in your posts. Good insight. I still respectfully disagree. I see coaches doing more with less: James Franklin at Vanderbilt, Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, Dan Mullin at Miss State and now Florida, Bobby Petrino at Arkansas, Sam Pittman at Arkansas, etc. These programs do not have higher recruiting classes than Tennessee over last 10 years but have more wins and have been more competitive.

Tennessee needs better development and stronger X-Os coaching. Take for example our offensive line. We have 3 4 stars and about 8 4 stars on the offensive line. Going off star ratings, we should have the best offensive line in the SEC, even over Alabama. Yet they have performed in the bottom half of the SEC.

Only a fucking idiot hangs his hat on 1-6 the last 7 times we played and you got damn lucky in 2018. My team is trash this year but make no mistake you are exceptional trash so enjoy the dumpster fire of a season.
Aw, did the widdle Barner get his panties twisted? Fact: The last time your beloved team hosted Tennessee in Jordan-Hare, they lost 30-24. Indeed, it defined Auburn's season.

Well, not really looking at dates, looking at relevance.
Yes, really. The University of Tennessee predates the University of Texas. There are no "alternative facts" to dispute this.

UT is, has and forevermore will be Tennessee.

Texas is Texas

Even Texans recognize their kinship with Tennessee.

I haven't read any ill will in your posts. Good insight. I still respectfully disagree. I see coaches doing more with less: James Franklin at Vanderbilt, Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, Dan Mullin at Miss State and now Florida, Bobby Petrino at Arkansas, Sam Pittman at Arkansas, etc. These programs do not have higher recruiting classes than Tennessee over last 10 years but have more wins and have been more competitive.
I love what Franklin did with Vandy, it was amazing. IIRC, he got alums and Nashville behind the Dores before results materialized on the field. It kind of reminded me of Jackie Sherrell at MSU. One thing I would like to point out is that with the exception of Petrino, none of theses coaches competed for their division year in and year out ... meaning finished second and losing only to the division champ. I don't know how you view Hugh and Bobby's controversies but Hugh at least was not running a clean program at the time. Stoops currently is the best in the SEC at getting more out of a traditionally weaker program.
Tennessee needs better development and stronger X-Os coaching. Take for example our offensive line. We have 3 4 stars and about 8 4 stars on the offensive line. Going off star ratings, we should have the best offensive line in the SEC, even over Alabama. Yet they have performed in the bottom half of the SEC.
IMHO the biggest thing TN needs now is stability in coaching. I was really worried about the "win championships now or get fired" mentality most fans have. I know I am old school but it seems to me that UT lost out on some good coaches primarily because nobody believed they would get four years to get their players into the system. JMO but I do not think it is possible to judge a coach in three years when they walk into a less than ideal situation. I have to go for a bit, thanks for the conservation!

EDIT: The "ill will" comment of mine was because I was talking a little friendly shit to @Tin Man on one of these threads. I have no problems with talking shit when it is a back and forth affair for fun but didn't want it interpreted that I hate UT.

Last edited:
I love what Franklin did with Vandy, it was amazing. IIRC, he got alums and Nashville behind the Dores before results materialized on the field. It kind of reminded me of Jackie Sherrell at MSU. One thing I would like to point out is that with the exception of Petrino, none of theses coaches competed for their division year in and year out ... meaning finished second and losing only to the division champ. I don't know how you view Hugh and Bobby's controversies but Hugh at least was not running a clean program at the time. Stoops currently is the best in the SEC at getting more out of a traditionally weaker program.

IMHO the biggest thing TN needs now is stability in coaching. I was really worried about the "win championships now or get fired" mentality most fans have. I know I am old school but it seems to me that UT lost out on some good coaches primarily because nobody believed they would get four years to get their players into the system. JMO but I do not think it is possible to judge a coach in three years when they walk into a less than ideal situation. I have to go for a bit, thanks for the conservation!

EDIT: The "ill will" comment of mine was because I was talking a little friendly shit to @Tin Man on one of these threads. I have no problems with talking shit when it is a back and forth affair for fun but didn't want it interpreted that I hate UT.

I don't think Tennessee fans expect to win a championship. I think what they do expect is not losing to Georgia State or Kentucky at home and playing with our rivals. All of the past three coaches have lost to inferior teams, have been unable to keep team discipline on the field, and embarass us when they play Alabama, Florida, and Georgia.

True Story:

I went to the 1998 Fiesta Bowl and saw Tennessee beat Florida State in the first BCS Championship Game. I went to the game with my Seminole brother, but I was okay with Tennessee winning. Just liked that team and how they played and thought they were undervalued.

At the airport the next day, I was waiting outside before checking in and chatted with an older Tennessee fan. We were talking about this and that, and he asked me who I rooted for in the game. I said, I really didn't care, but I was okay with the Vols winning even though I was an Alabama fan.

He got a really stern sour look on his face, and said, Alabama was going down and would not beat the Vols for the next 20 years! I just played it off and said I had to go catch my flight back to Chicago. lol. I wonder if he remembers that conversation and reflects on it today?

Last edited:
Nick Saban won all of it. You and your state didn't do jack.

Alabama had a winning record against Tennessee before Saban and Alabama will have a winning record against Tennessee long after he leaves.

Alabama had a winning record against Tennessee before Saban and Alabama will have a winning record against Tennessee long after he leaves.

To reiterate something from earlier, Alabama has never trailed in this series.