Thanksgiving Menus

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 167.00
We spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws and they're good friends with a BBQ restaurant owner. They buy two turkeys (14-18 pounds) and take it to the restaurant where they season with their rub and put in their smoker for free. One turkey for Thanksgiving day and the other to reheat for leftovers the next couple days. Other's caught on in recent years, so it's turned into a nice little side profit opportunity for the restaurant charging around $10 per bird that is supplied by the customer.

To go along with just reheating the smoked turkeys, the rest of us work on the sides:

- green bean casserole
- broccoli casserole
- sweet potato casserole
- pineapple and cheddar casserole
- mashed potatoes
- dressing
- homemade cranberry sauce
- fresh baked bread
- pumpkin pie
- apple pie
- some sort of cake/cookies/etc

I pick up some white bread and a jar of Duke's mayo for leftover turkey sandwiches. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple other things, but overall there's plenty to go around for a couple days.

So what are some items on your menus? Anything that is considered "strange" or just conventional seasonal food?

My wife grabbed a Turkey at the store.
None of them have more than a few at a time.

All the regular stuff.
Simple though.

We spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws and they're good friends with a BBQ restaurant owner. They buy two turkeys (14-18 pounds) and take it to the restaurant where they season with their rub and put in their smoker for free. One turkey for Thanksgiving day and the other to reheat for leftovers the next couple days. Other's caught on in recent years, so it's turned into a nice little side profit opportunity for the restaurant charging around $10 per bird that is supplied by the customer.

To go along with just reheating the smoked turkeys, the rest of us work on the sides:

- green bean casserole
- broccoli casserole
- sweet potato casserole
- pineapple and cheddar casserole
- mashed potatoes
- dressing
- homemade cranberry sauce
- fresh baked bread
- pumpkin pie
- apple pie
- some sort of cake/cookies/etc

I pick up some white bread and a jar of Duke's mayo for leftover turkey sandwiches. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple other things, but overall there's plenty to go around for a couple days.

So what are some items on your menus? Anything that is considered "strange" or just conventional seasonal food?
same side dishes/deserts except
i make the coconut/pineapple/marshmallow salad -

Hutterite turkey, dry brined fer a few days
Apple, sage and Italian sausage stuffing and dressing
Homemade stock from the neck en sech
Sage and turkey drippin gravy
Homemade Grand Marnier cranberry sauce
Mashed Potatoes
Cheesed pearl onions (seriously the glue that binds)
Roasted brussels, butternut squash and bacon, with dried cranberries, pecans and goat cheese

Buncha pies and booze.

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

Thanksgiving is behind us up here in Canuckistania. Love the way you guys do it. Number 1 holiday of the year and shit tons of football.

This Christmas will be prime rib though. One turkey a year is plenty.

Thinking of making reservations this year. I realized a couple years ago that I don’t really love turkey (the sides are where it’s at) and it’s now 9 days away and I haven’t put a menu together. It will likely cost more to buy all the food as opposed to going out, where I don’t have to deal with any type of clean up.

Not sure if we are eating out or staying home.......crazy we have not decided yet.......Hell,our dinner may not even on the holiday itself.....

Going to my in-laws, as is customary.

Going to be doing most of the cooking. MiL will handle the turkey and the stuffing, but we've convinced her that she doesn't need to cook things the day before and then refrigerate them, and will let us bring or make the sides.

Will bring my sweet potato casserole, will also make the mashed potatoes this year. We'll figure out veggies based on we get from the farmer this weekend. Also thought about taking a stab at making gravy from scratch, but MiL probably already bought the Heinz gravy.

Going to my in-laws, as is customary.

Going to be doing most of the cooking. MiL will handle the turkey and the stuffing, but we've convinced her that she doesn't need to cook things the day before and then refrigerate them, and will let us bring or make the sides.

Will bring my sweet potato casserole, will also make the mashed potatoes this year. We'll figure out veggies based on we get from the farmer this weekend. Also thought about taking a stab at making gravy from scratch, but MiL probably already bought the Heinz gravy.
what in the actual fuck? That's a thing?

Greenberg turkey
mashed potatoes
yams
green beans
creamed corn
canned cranberry sauce
unsweet tea
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
dinner rolls

It's the best
No need to cook

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF
I'm not the world's biggest fan, but it's passable. Making gravy isn't a Herculean effort, especially when you're already roasting a turkey. I used to keep the "just add water" powdered mix for gravy in my pantry until I figured out how easy it was to make white gravy.