The Incredible SpaceX Starship and a New Golden Age in Space

It will be a bit until they get the Cupola open fully but I’m interested to see this. Ingenious engineering at SpaceX again.

“Let’s see….we won’t need the big, bulky docking mechanism up top….how about we put a huge window there?”

Also….don’t miss the middle finger from Elon to Bezos and Branson. “Oh, you’re taking people the (almost) technical edge of space for a few minutes? Here’s four civilians going up for 3 days….and getting wide panorama views.”

PT Barnum lives on in this guy.
But does it look like a giant penis?

But does it look like a giant penis?
I mean….maybe some penis’ look somewhat like Falcon 9 with Dragon on it. Not sure….I’m not an authority on penis’.

It sure looks more like a spacecraft than Bezos Dr Evil dildo.

Ironically, I came across this ongoing doc on the Inspiration 4 mission tonight. It’s a little saccharine and feely at points. But, some of it is quite amazing.

Fair enough to say they picked four interesting people here. With the first Virgin and Blue Origin flights I know nothing about the people that went up. But they found qualified people with great stories. I’ve said this many times….. if Elon truly moves the needle on interplanetary it will be as much for his drive on engineering as his marketing savvy.

Interesting part they showed. They guy who is the commander in a meeting with engineers and he’s pushing them that they want to go higher than the space station, because it will send a message that we are going to go further than we recently have. Engineers grouse that it’s possible but it pushes their margins.

They are orbiting tonight at 575 kilometers, higher than the ISS. Marketing savvy.

Nah, this is old technology. Gotta wait for the Starship to do that. They'll be slashing down in the Atlantic just like with the old Mercury capsule in the 1960s. :(
This is true. However, unlike the 60s, they are now reusing the Dragon capsules. I have a family member with NASA and about two years ago he was assigned to work with SpaceX as they wanted to figure out how to reuse the capsules again. I thought that sounded even more bonkers than reusing the boosters.

But Inspiration 4’s Resilience capsule was also the capsule used for the first manned Dragon mission (also named Resilience) last year.

Obviously it takes a lot more work to reuse than a booster as you have to rebuild the whole skin and (of course) the heat shield. What seemed most impossible to me was ways to mitigate sea water from the capsule so there are no corrosion issues.

But, again, they’ve done something never done.

will they attempt to land vertically?

The reusable booster landed vertically under power on the football field-sized drone ship or floating platform in the Atlantic less than 10 minutes after liftoff Sept. 15 from Kennedy. It has returned to a SpaceX hangar at Kennedy Space Center for refurbishment ahead of a future mission.

SpaceX is targeting January or February for its first Starship orbital launch attempt, founder and CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday (Nov. 17). "We intend to do, hopefully, a dozen Starship launches next year", said Musk.

The upcoming orbital test flight will involve a Starship prototype called SN20, which has the full complement of six Raptors, and a 29-engine Super Heavy known as Booster 4. The duo will lift off from Starbase facility near Boca Chica Village in South Texas. Booster 4 will splash down shortly after liftoff in the Gulf of Mexico, but SN20 will make one loop around Earth and come down in the Pacific Ocean, near the Hawaiian island of Kauai.

That envisioned progress will lead to roughly a dozen launches over the course of the year, which should prove out the Starship system enough for it to begin operational missions in 2023, Musk said.

Starship Super Heavy Booster stack checkout
starship_prep Aug21.jpg

SpaceX is targeting January or February for its first Starship orbital launch attempt, founder and CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday (Nov. 17). "We intend to do, hopefully, a dozen Starship launches next year", said Musk.

The upcoming orbital test flight will involve a Starship prototype called SN20, which has the full complement of six Raptors, and a 29-engine Super Heavy known as Booster 4. The duo will lift off from Starbase facility near Boca Chica Village in South Texas. Booster 4 will splash down shortly after liftoff in the Gulf of Mexico, but SN20 will make one loop around Earth and come down in the Pacific Ocean, near the Hawaiian island of Kauai.

That envisioned progress will lead to roughly a dozen launches over the course of the year, which should prove out the Starship system enough for it to begin operational missions in 2023, Musk said.

Starship Super Heavy Booster stack checkout
View attachment 49613
Been following this whole buildout on Facebook. It’s very interesting and going to be fun to see how it does.

Its also a god damn beast. I believe it’s taller than Saturn V.

Elon Musk’s SpaceX on Tuesday, Nov. 1, launched the first Falcon Heavy mission in over three years. SpaceX’s rocket is carrying the classified USSF-44 mission for the U.S. Space Force, which is also the first operational national security mission for Falcon Heavy.

The Falcon Heavy launch and amazing landing of the two side boosters is shown in the link below. You can skip the introductory stuff and go to the 18-minute mark where the launch begins.

This rocket configuration has 27 Merlin 1D engines, 9 each in each booster and in the core, giving it about 5 million lbs of thrust.

SpaceX

SpaceX is targeting early December to launch its Starship rocket system into orbit for the first time, a pivotal demonstration flight as it aims to fly NASA astronauts to the moon in the next few years, a U.S. official said on Monday. The December mission will test the entire system for the first time, involving the company's 230-foot (70-meter) Super Heavy booster to lift the 160-foot (50-meter) Starship spacecraft into orbit. Schedule is tentative, as usual.

SpaceX and its chief executive, Elon Musk, say the first orbital launch attempt of its Starship vehicle is approaching, but the company must first overcome both technical and regulatory obstacles.

SpaceX tweeted Jan. 12 that it was moving ahead with a final series of tests of its Starship vehicle and Super Heavy booster at its Starbase test site in Boca Chica, Texas. The company installed a Starship vehicle called Ship 24 on top of a Super Heavy booster designated Booster 7 on the launch pad there Jan. 9. Launch is to be in late Feb. or March.

Those tests, the company said, include a “full stack” wet dress rehearsal of the combined vehicle. That would be followed by a static-fire test of all 33 Raptor engines on Booster 7, the first time all those engines have fired simultaneously.

Not sure they will also test the reusability feature with the booster achieving a powered landing.

SpaceX on Thursday, tomorrow, will attempt a “static fire,” simultaneously testing all 33 engines that sit at the base of Starship’s Super Heavy rocket booster. Each Raptor 2 engine has about 510,000 pounds of thrust providing a total 17 million lb thrust.

Starship prototype 24 stacked on top of Super Heavy booster prototype 7 at company’s facility near Brownsville, Texas January 9, 2023.

107182934-1674566336033-52621815136_50da618a63_k_1.jpg
1675905041742.jpeg

This is a live feed from the Starship Starbase launch facility, Boca Chica, TX, in preparation for the 33-engine Super Heavy static fire booster test. The Starship upper stage has been removed for the test.

Scroll down to the middle to see Starbase Live videos. No exact time 9AM - 9PM for today's test is given. If not today, tomorrow.

Watch Live: SpaceX Attempts First Full Static Fire Test of Starship Megarocket

Days like this make me regret not accepting an offer from SpaceX a few years ago. Couldn't risk having to work directly with Rock. :dhd:

LMAO, did they just cook hundreds of birds? :pound:

Apparently, there was a live static fire with 31 of 33 engines firing successfully but some the videos did not show it except for one but I missed the first part of it.

I saw something, the guys talking said all 33 fired. A TON of birds flew when it fired.

Does anyone have a replay of the test? Put the link up.