They are almost here.

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 91,200.00
Looks like Nebraska's out of this. (y)

I actually like the sound of a few cicadas in evenings during the summer. It just ads to the ambiance.

However, I do remember a few years ago it got so loud one summer it was like a low flying jet airplane.
My colleague and I were standing outside shootin' shit and after a few minutes we realized it was so loud we were yelling at each other just to talk. That was in the middle of the day.

I've no idea what 'brood' it was.

8 paragraphs in before you see the real reason they published the article.

Nature is pretty amazing if you pay attention.

Example: Some years I get a lot of crickets. So many that they get into the house and will keep me up at night chirping.
The following year I'll notice a large increase of garter snakes, toads, etc.
I assume that is because food was so plentiful the snakes and toads populated more.

In the areas where these two broods are coming out, I wouldn't be surprised to see a dramatic increase next year in whatever feeds on Cicadas.

Last edited:
8 paragraphs in before you see the real reason they published the article.

Globul Warming.

9K92gr.gif

I skip over that shit now. White noise. However, we have had a warm March and April so far. I expect an early emergence. Morels are ahead of schedule to. Got to check the asparagus this week.

Checked my asparagus fence-line yesterday and nothing yet. Too early, but we'll have some 70's coming so that should get the asparagus and the morels popping. I've got a 400 yard fence line of wild asparagus that I can't keep up with eating so everyone I know gets some.

Initial signs of purple Henbit in the farm fields and Dandelions popping in the yard means we're getting close for morels, but my Lilac bush is barely popping leaves, let alone full bloom.

We did have a pretty mild winter, but these spring temps have been cooler than normal. I think soil temps need to be 50 degrees for morels to pop and we're barely there if we are.

Earliest I've ever found a morel in Nebraska is April 3rd.

Checked my asparagus fence-line yesterday and nothing yet. Too early, but we'll have some 70's coming so that should get the asparagus and the morels popping. I've got a 400 yard fence line of wild asparagus that I can't keep up with eating so everyone I know gets some.

Initial signs of purple Henbit in the farm fields and Dandelions popping in the yard means we're getting close for morels, but my Lilac bush is barely popping leaves, let alone full bloom.

We did have a pretty mild winter, but these spring temps have been cooler than normal. I think soil temps need to be 50 degrees for morels to pop and we're barely there if we are.

What's the morel of the story?

That you're really a fungi?

Morels are coming up now. Next week should be an early peak. Forecast temps are not to fall below 48.for the next 2 weeks with ample rain. Still going to wait til May to plant sunflowers.

Morels are coming up now. Next week should be an early peak. Forecast temps are not to fall below 48.for the next 2 weeks with ample rain. Still going to wait til May to plant sunflowers.

Yeah. We've had nights below freezing (off and on) in the last couple weeks. Although not frozen, our soil is still too cold.

I skip over that shit now. White noise. However, we have had a warm March and April so far. I expect an early emergence. Morels are ahead of schedule to. Got to check the asparagus this week.

I've literally got 400 yards of fence-line with wild Asparagus like this pic from last fall after letting it go to seed.

I know it's not technically 'wild' since Asparagus is not indigenous to the US.
It spread because people planted it, the birds ate the seeds, sat on the fence, and took a shit. It's far better than any store bought Asparagus.
Screenshot_20240407_211932_Gallery.jpg

I've literally got 400 yards of fence-line with wild Asparagus like this pic from last fall after letting it go to seed.

I know it's not technically 'wild' since Asparagus is not indigenous to the US.
It spread because people planted it, the birds ate the seeds, sat on the fence, and took a shit. It's far better than any store bought Asparagus.
View attachment 118333
Mine is all volunteer also. Used to be commercial fields of it 5-10 miles north of me.

Mine is all volunteer also. Used to be commercial fields of it 5-10 miles north of me.

There's so much of it on that fence-line, my closest friends have the OK to go pick it whenever they want.
Remember the "barter system" we talked about with farm fresh eggs? The right to come out and pick asparagus at my place anytime they want is part of that. (y)
I'll also take bags to the local dive bar for whomever wants some. It's spoken for quickly.

Like any of my favorites I get burned out eating it 5 days in a row. Dark yellow/stinky piss it's so full of vitamins. :dhd:

Yes, I get burned out on morels too, but I'll dry them and put them in a brown paper lunch sack so I can have them in the middle of the winter. Re-hydrate them in a bowl of water and they're damn close to fresh 'texture wise'. The flavor is just the same IMO.

Blanched or frozen asparagus just isn't the same, so eat it while it's in-season.

There's so much of it on that fence-line, my closest friends have the OK to go pick it whenever they want.
Remember the "barter system" we talked about with farm fresh eggs? The right to come out and pick asparagus at my place anytime they want is part of that. (y)
I'll also take bags to the local dive bar for whomever wants some. It's spoken for quickly.

Like any of my favorites I get burned out eating it 5 days in a row. Dark yellow/stinky piss it's so full of vitamins. :dhd:

Yes, I get burned out on morels too, but I'll dry them and put them in a brown paper lunch sack so I can have them in the middle of the winter. Re-hydrate them in a bowl of water and they're damn close to fresh 'texture wise'. The flavor is just the same IMO.

Blanched or frozen asparagus just isn't the same, so eat it while it's in-season.
Interesting article on it on Wiki. Lots of neat info.