They are almost here.

Interesting article on it on Wiki. Lots of neat info.

A good read. It supports what I knew about it, and some.

Pretty amazing actually.

"Asparagus is low in food energy and very low in sodium. It is a good source of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and zinc, and a very good source of dietary fibre, protein, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, and selenium, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that regulates the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. The amino acid asparagine gets its name from asparagus, from which it was first isolated, as the asparagus plant is relatively rich in this compound."

I remember getting the 'white asparagus' at restaurants in Germany and being told by the waiter how it was grown.

Crappie, Asparagus, and Morels.

16d87c3d-642c-49fc-94dd-530612fa21a7_text.gif

I've literally got 400 yards of fence-line with wild Asparagus like this pic from last fall after letting it go to seed.

I know it's not technically 'wild' since Asparagus is not indigenous to the US.
It spread because people planted it, the birds ate the seeds, sat on the fence, and took a shit. It's far better than any store bought Asparagus.
View attachment 118333
Does it make your pee smell even wilder?

A good read. It supports what I knew about it, and some.

Pretty amazing actually.

"Asparagus is low in food energy and very low in sodium. It is a good source of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and zinc, and a very good source of dietary fibre, protein, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, and selenium, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that regulates the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. The amino acid asparagine gets its name from asparagus, from which it was first isolated, as the asparagus plant is relatively rich in this compound."

I remember getting the 'white asparagus' at restaurants in Germany and being told by the waiter how it was grown.
I grow it in vegas. It loves the sun. We haveva small patchbof it and eat asparagus as muchbas we want about now until july august

Just FYI, the biggest bass I’ve ever caught in my life was caught using a live, but injured July fly(proper term for cicada) as bait. 9 pounds and 7 ounces out of my great uncle’s farm pond

Just FYI, the biggest bass I’ve ever caught in my life was caught using a live, but injured July fly(proper term for cicada) as bait. 9 pounds and 7 ounces out of my great uncle’s farm pond

Yep. The fish, turtles, frogs, lizards, snakes, and toads, are all gonna be hap-hap-happy in the areas where these cicada's pop out.

If I found a cicada I'd use it as bait on my grand-pappy's farm pond when I was a kid, but mostly used grasshoppers since they were more plentiful and easier to catch. The bass and bluegill loved both. Being out in the middle of nowhere I had to get creative regarding fish bait. After a good rain I'd go out at night with a flashlight and catch nightcrawlers.

When I bought this acreage a few years ago I noticed 2 pieces of rebar sticking out of the ground about 5 feet from the chicken coop, appx 3 feet apart. I had no idea what they were for and just mowed/trimmed around them.

One day I was out by the county road working on the corral fence and a local dude stopped to introduce himself. I grabbed a couple beers and was showing him around and said "I don't know what those metal rods are for". He chuckled and said they were to hook a car battery to and nightcrawlers would come out of the ground for fish bait. Apparently nightcrawlers like the chicken shit soil so they'd be more plentiful in that particular area.
I've never tried it, but those metal rods are still there. I just buy crawlers from the local gas station a couple miles away. They sell them out of a mini-fridge for a couple bucks a dozen.

Nature is pretty amazing if you pay attention.

Example: Some years I get a lot of crickets. So many that they get into the house and will keep me up at night chirping.
The following year I'll notice a large increase of garter snakes, toads, etc.
I assume that is because food was so plentiful the snakes and toads populated more.

In the areas where these two broods are coming out, I wouldn't be surprised to see a dramatic increase next year in whatever feeds on Cicadas.

Those fuckers were all around at my in-law's place. Scared the fuck out of us until we read that they really don't or can't sting humans.

Those fuckers were all around at my in-law's place. Scared the fuck out of us until we read that they really don't or can't sting humans.

LOL Yep.

Those are some scary looking fuckers. I get them around here too and piss them off when mowing.

Kee-rist!!! Just read on a CBS page, that the density of emergence could reach 1 million per acre. What?