tOfficial 2023 trade deadline thread

I’m surprised the Mets are actually being smart and selling. I figured they’d double down at the deadline
We’ll see. They really need to be trading away some of these older pieces

I hate that it was another slap hitting middle infielder in rookie ball for a team that is supposedly close to contending.

Slap hitting is a stretch (he's hit 4 homers in 12 games and FanGraphs grades his raw power as a 60), but he is years away

My biggest complaint with Cherington when he was the Sox GM was that while he did a good job building up the farm system, he felt hesitant to use those pieces in trades... though Cherington did build the foundation for the 2016-18 teams.

Slap hitting is a stretch (he's hit 4 homers in 12 games and FanGraphs grades his raw power as a 60), but he is years away

My biggest complaint with Cherington when he was the Sox GM was that while he did a good job building up the farm system, he felt hesitant to use those pieces in trades... though Cherington did build the foundation for the 2016-18 teams.
I've actually come around on this trade, I think I'm just more angry in general of this never ending cycle of moving veterans at the deadline in lost seasons for lottery tickets than the trade itself because this honestly isn't a bad one and could've been some AAAA bum instead.

If this happens do we just merge into the LOL Mets thread

Mets are basically paying $30M+ for a prospect... and a fairly risky one at that

4. Luisangel Acuña, SS​

Signed: July 2nd Period, 2018 from Venezuela (TEX)
Age21.3Height5′ 8″Weight181Bat / ThrR / RFV50
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
HitRaw PowerGame PowerRunFieldingThrow
35/4550/5530/5060/6040/5055
Were Acuña a draft-eligible college player, he’d easily be the first infielder off the board, as no college shortstop in the 2023 class can match his level of athleticism and explosiveness. His swing has a load and leg kick similar to his brother’s before Luisangel takes a gargantuan stride toward the mound and whips his entire torso around in the blink of an eye. His hands are lightning-quick and direct to the ball, though he struggles to make contact in front of the plate, often over-swings, and tends to chase.

Acuña’s epicurean approach to hitting hasn’t yet led to excessive strikeouts. Instead, the knock-on effects of his desire to swing at most anything is more evident in his middling home run output and high groundball rate. He has adjusted to the quality of pitching at Double-A and, after struggling there at the end of last season, is slashing .315/.372/.450 as of list publication. Big league pitchers will likely figure out that they can get him to chase whatever (Acuña has a 50% swing rate) and start junk-balling him to death, and Acuña should be considered a high-variance prospect who’ll likely need to make adjustments once his talent alone is insufficient for him to rake.

Defensively, he has spent most of his time at shortstop, and while he isn’t technically polished, he does have the twitch and arm to project there with additional refinement. He is one of the many upper-level prospects in this system who makes sense as a trade target for other teams at the deadline because they’re blocked by great big leaguers but are still proximate to the majors.

Mets are basically paying $30M+ for a prospect... and a fairly risky one at that

At first it sounded like this was trade rape by Mets. But just getting the one prospect and paying scherzer? Wtf? I wouldn’t expect much for scherzer, but still paying him this much? If money truly doesn’t matter to Cohen, I guess it’s a good trade

I didn't think it was possible for baseball to become even more dead, but...

Hicks to the Jays

Montgomery to the Rangers.

Cardinals fire sale has begun

oscar nunez band GIF by People of Earth TBS

I woulda rather they DFAd him lol. We have plenty of SP prospects they could give chances to, but instead they bring up a washed up Syndergaard to be roadkill in the rotation whenever hes healthy.
I hate to say it, but I am really suspicious that Antonetti and Co made this trade just to say "hey, we made a trade". They were shopping Rosario over the winter with no bites and he was coming off a good season. Personally, I would rather them give Arias or Rocchio a good look. As of today they are .5 back of the Twins but the AL Central is ass much like Rosario's defense so I don't get too excited about the prospect of winning the division especially with the rotation missing the parts that they are.

I hate to say it, but I am really suspicious that Antonetti and Co made this trade just to say "hey, we made a trade". They were shopping Rosario over the winter with no bites and he was coming off a good season. Personally, I would rather them give Arias or Rocchio a good look. As of today they are .5 back of the Twins but the AL Central is ass much like Rosario's defense so I don't get too excited about the prospect of winning the division especially with the rotation missing the parts that they are.

I just hope they don't get stupid and decide to try to be buyers all of a sudden today. Even if they scrape and win the division they aren't getting far into the playoffs at all.

Rays get Aaron Civale from Cleveland. Civale will turn into an ace and whatever prospects Cleveland gets will never pan out. Never trade with the Rays

Rays get Aaron Civale from Cleveland. Civale will turn into an ace and whatever prospects Cleveland gets will never pan out. Never trade with the Rays

The Twins aren't really missing Nelson Cruz these days, are they? :wink:

The Rays trade pretty well but they do lose trades. Some of that is just what happens when you trade as much as they do, though.