tOfficial Bourbon thread

fordman84

Administrator
Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 95,570.00
I figure with how spread out everyone is this might be in interesting thread. I hear stories about how bottles that I can't find to save my life are on the shelf everywhere in other states. Bourbon has become to me now what baseball cards were when I was a kid, always on the look out for an interesting new bottle.

So let's share what you like and what you want, and if you know that it is available in the wild around you post it here. I'll fly out and buy it :)

I just recently found an OW 107 sitting on a shelf for $60 and snapped it up. Last week found a 1792 12 year on a shelf and paid a little over MSRP but not too bad.

Been drinking and enjoying the hell out of Eagle Rare but it is impossible to find here. Like I can't even bribe my local shop to set me up when it comes in. Crazy because I hear in Houston it is everywhere. Here we have OW Special reserve on every shelf, but I know that is hard to find elsewhere.

It's not really my bag, but someone gave me a bottle of Michter's small batch so one day, I'll give it a go. I had a friend whose dad had a bunch of different ones in his wine cellar and we did a tasting of some really good ones. Wish I could remember all the names. I just know i DID NOT like the japanese ones. :puke: They tasted almost oily/greasy. Don't know how to describe it.

It's not really my bag, but someone gave me a bottle of Michter's small batch so one day, I'll give it a go. I had a friend whose dad had a bunch of different ones in his wine cellar and we did a tasting of some really good ones. Wish I could remember all the names. I just know i DID NOT like the japanese ones. :puke: They tasted almost oily/greasy. Don't know how to describe it.
Yeah having a nice oily feel is a sign of a good bourbon, but some overdo it. There are some Michters that are really nice, if it is the blue label then you have a hard one to find. If it is the white label then it's good, I enjoy it, but easy to find. If it is white and green then it's Rye and not my cup of tea.

I'm not one of these snobs that has to say you have to drink neat or else you ruin it. Michters US1 SB makes a great old fashioned. I find quite a few that only work for that. I know everyone raves about Old Forester 1920, but that shit is HOT. Only gonna drink that as a cocktail which brings it down nicely to a 90 proof heat.

Pic won't load but I can tell that is Makers Mark. In the next couple of weeks their 2021 wood finished is coming out, will be labeled FAE-01. If it is anything like their PR5 last year then it is going to be well worth the $60 msrp. I just went out looking to see if it is out yet, asked the local guy to call me when it comes in. I just want 1 bottle, won't be that prick that bribes $100 to buy the case to keep for myself. But man is it legit stuff.

A couple of the local spots near me have some decent ones.

I liked this one a lot. The color is a lot redder than usual, and the sweetness from the wine barrel added a lot to the flavor. When we were there, we did a flight of their bourbons, they had a regular, a rye, a cask strength, and the port. The regular was good, cask strength was meh, the rye was mediciney and I wouldn't drink it again, but the port barrel one was aces.

A couple of the local spots near me have some decent ones.

I liked this one a lot. The color is a lot redder than usual, and the sweetness from the wine barrel added a lot to the flavor. When we were there, we did a flight of their bourbons, they had a regular, a rye, a cask strength, and the port. The regular was good, cask strength was meh, the rye was mediciney and I wouldn't drink it again, but the port barrel one was aces.
Yeah I've noticed more and more port finishes are hitting the market. I have heard of that one, have not tried it. I'll put it on my list to pick one up.

1614718908932.png

Picked this up about a month ago after reading all the hype of the comeback of jimmy red corn. Will not buy again. This will be my "blowhard bourbon", when someone is over who wants to talk about bourbon but only knows of pappy :dhd:

This is the other one I have that's local, this bottle is nearing its end though:

Not sure if that will make it down our way, but I'll go learn more about them. At 88 proof that's gonna be a tough one to make a national name, but if it's good I'll drink it.

I have a maybe 5 or 6 bottles I'm working through but nothing all that special. Still learning about what I like and don't like in the bourbon world.

Toughest to find near me is Buffalo Trace, but I think you just need to know which store carries it.

not a huge bourbon drinker, but a buddy sent me this bottle that I'm currently working on.

LRG_DSC00534.jpg

I have a maybe 5 or 6 bottles I'm working through but nothing all that special. Still learning about what I like and don't like in the bourbon world.

Toughest to find near me is Buffalo Trace, but I think you just need to know which store carries it.
Buffalo Trace is insane. I literally just saw a shelf full, dozens of them. Was never a fan, don't care if their mash bill is "basically Weller". If you head through Dallas, I can tell you right where to load up at $30 a bottle.

not a huge bourbon drinker, but a buddy sent me this bottle that I'm currently working on.

LRG_DSC00534.jpg
You have a good buddy! That's a damn fine bottle

Buffalo Trace is insane. I literally just saw a shelf full, dozens of them. Was never a fan, don't care if their mash bill is "basically Weller". If you head through Dallas, I can tell you right where to load up at $30 a bottle.
That's what is confusing for me too.

When I was in NJ for Christmas, I saw a ton at the liquor store and bought a bottle. It's good but it's not my favorite thing on my shelf.

Then I get back to MD and there are wait-lists to get it

You have a good buddy! That's a damn fine bottle

This dude's bourbon closet is insane... easily 250 bottles. I'd say he has a problem, but most of the bottles are sealed.

This dude's bourbon closet is insane... easily 250 bottles. I'd say he has a problem, but most of the bottles are sealed.
I knew some people like that too but I think they got out of it

One guy would be looking for old bottles with the tax stamp on it.

He gave me a bunch of Bourbon County stout beers going back to 2012 that he had found as a housewarming gift

That's what is confusing for me too.

When I was in NJ for Christmas, I saw a ton at the liquor store and bought a bottle. It's good but it's not my favorite thing on my shelf.

Then I get back to MD and there are wait-lists to get it
People are starting to claim it is like pappy's or Weller since it is the same distributor. 7-8 years ago you could find Weller 12 on every shelf for $50. Now you have to go secondary and pay 5x that if you want a bottle. I think Buffalo Trace is headed that same way. Fine by me since it isn't one I like. Hoping people will go for that and leave more Eagle Rare for me. Afraid I'll have to switch to Blue Note if Eagle Rare keeps being this hard to find.

yeah, there are a lot of those in the bourbon game. I am not that bad, have maybe two dozen bottles right now. That's about all I want, except I keep finding ones I want to try come available. My buddy who kinda of sent me down this path is like yours, he easily has $100k worth of bottles (not that he paid that much for them though).