tOfficial "I've got to try that" thread

I could spin around blindfolded and hit a nine iron in any direction from my house and it would likely land in front of a donut shop. They’re everywhere around here. I think there’s a local ordinance that requires every strip mall to have a donut shop, nail salon, dentist office and Tae Kwon Do.

View attachment 26092

Not even joking, gonna make the long drive out to the closest Krispy creme in rush hour traffic in the morning to get me some of these!

About 1.5 hours away from me, but better believe I'll stop the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Now one thing that supposedly originates from your neck of the woods that I want to try my next get together while firing up the smoker are armadillo eggs. Those, along with pork belly burnt ends should make for some great appetizers.

Bacon-Wrapped-Armadillo-Eggs-Recipe-1024x683.jpg

I could spin around blindfolded and hit a nine iron in any direction from my house and it would likely land in front of a donut shop. They’re everywhere around here. I think there’s a local ordinance that requires every strip mall to have a donut shop, nail salon, dentist office and Tae Kwon Do.
Oh I have a ton around me too, but not Krisy Kreme. closest is Grapevine for me.

I didn't have the energy to make the drive this morning

About 1.5 hours away from me, but better believe I'll stop the next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Now one thing that supposedly originates from your neck of the woods that I want to try my next get together while firing up the smoker are armadillo eggs. Those, along with pork belly burnt ends should make for some great appetizers.

View attachment 26192
Oh yeah, very familiar. I don't make mine as fancy. I slice large jalenpenos in half and seed em, mix up shredded cheddar with cream cheese and pack a big dollop in the cavity, wrap em in thick sliced bacon, skewer with a toothpick, and then smoke em up for about an hour or until the bacon crisps up. Man are they good.

Pro tip: If you are cooking for someone that hates the spice, soak the sliced open jalapeños in sprite for for about an hour before you make em. Keeps all the jalapeño flavor, none of the heat. Great for doing half of em that way if kiddos are at the cookout.

Oh yeah, very familiar. I don't make mine as fancy. I slice large jalenpenos in half and seed em, mix up shredded cheddar with cream cheese and pack a big dollop in the cavity, wrap em in thick sliced bacon, skewer with a toothpick, and then smoke em up for about an hour or until the bacon crisps up. Man are they good.

Pro tip: If you are cooking for someone that hates the spice, soak the sliced open jalapeños in sprite for for about an hour before you make em. Keeps all the jalapeño flavor, none of the heat. Great for doing half of em that way if kiddos are at the cookout.

Nice tip! Since my kids are starting to actually like some of my BBQ, this could be good for them to try a few. As for the adults, screw them if they can't handle the spice of a lowly jalapeno even with seeds, lol. I was thinking about using habaneros myself for bite size or at least serranos.

Nice tip! Since my kids are starting to actually like some of my BBQ, this could be good for them to try a few. As for the adults, screw them if they can't handle the spice of a lowly jalapeno even with seeds, lol. I was thinking about using habaneros myself for bite size or at least serranos.
ooh, Serranos would be good. Habanero might be too much for me and my delicate palate. :happy:

ooh, Serranos would be good. Habanero might be too much for me and my delicate palate. :happy:

I'm thinking the cheese, sausage, bacon, and some BBQ sauce would help offset some heat, but I could easily see myself making 4 different versions with your non spicy jalapeno, regular jalapeno, serrano, and habanero. The prep is essentially the same, so it's only a matter of keeping them identified for everyone.

The problem I have is I like to make too much food at times, but I am good in staggering so that they're all done around the same time for a party.

God, I can't wait until this summer and all my buddies are vaccinated. One family already is and I may test this out with them first in the near future, but since we're still traveling most weekends to be with my father-in-law under hospice until the end, we're trying to maintain a close bubble. I was planning on brewing my IPA this week to be ready in a couple months, but you saw the other thread regarding the babysitter/nanny, so that'll delay a week or so.

Oh well, throw out some other recipes that would be great in a smoker to give me some ideas. I've got a handful of can't miss go-tos, but would like to mix it up.

Well, the doughnut shop, DoJang, and dentist office all do kind of go together.

There aren't many doughnut shops around here.
There are even fewer Krispy Kremes. :pout:

I'm thinking the cheese, sausage, bacon, and some BBQ sauce would help offset some heat, but I could easily see myself making 4 different versions with your non spicy jalapeno, regular jalapeno, serrano, and habanero. The prep is essentially the same, so it's only a matter of keeping them identified for everyone.

The problem I have is I like to make too much food at times, but I am good in staggering so that they're all done around the same time for a party.

God, I can't wait until this summer and all my buddies are vaccinated. One family already is and I may test this out with them first in the near future, but since we're still traveling most weekends to be with my father-in-law under hospice until the end, we're trying to maintain a close bubble. I was planning on brewing my IPA this week to be ready in a couple months, but you saw the other thread regarding the babysitter/nanny, so that'll delay a week or so.

Oh well, throw out some other recipes that would be great in a smoker to give me some ideas. I've got a handful of can't miss go-tos, but would like to mix it up.
Hmm, did I create a thread here of all my smoker exploits? if not may need to go copy/paste it over here.

If you are already having all those ingredients you should look for a recipe for a fatty. oh man, good stuff.

1617744352395.png

Hmm, did I create a thread here of all my smoker exploits? if not may need to go copy/paste it over here.

If you are already having all those ingredients you should look for a recipe for a fatty. oh man, good stuff.

View attachment 26197

Made a few similar without bacon, but with Jack Daniels in the sauce and Jack cheese, which the wife loves, even though it has a kick.

Have made my own bacon wrapped in the over a few years back that I posted about on the old site that a handful of posters tried and loved as well.

I have never had jambalaya, and I don't want to get (what I can only assume will be) a shitty Midwestern version.

One day, I'll go to a clean part of the South and try some.

Made a few similar without bacon, but with Jack Daniels in the sauce and Jack cheese, which the wife loves, even though it has a kick.

Have made my own bacon wrapped in the over a few years back that I posted about on the old site that a handful of posters tried and loved as well.
Okay, I'll be trying that one next. The "armadillo eggs" one is interesting too, but seems too complicated to make wholly in my smoker.

I'm sure it's standard fare for most midwesterners, but that butter burger and a frozen custard from Culver's is on my short list.

Okay, I'll be trying that one next. The "armadillo eggs" one is interesting too, but seems too complicated to make wholly in my smoker.

I guess you could do it in an oven, but having that little smoke to the taste is nice.

I typically throw Mac and cheese inside the smoker as well for that meal. Don't use hickory, as that makes the Mac a little too bitter. Go with apple or pecan

I'm sure it's standard fare for most midwesterners, but that butter burger and a frozen custard from Culver's is on my short list.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Don't forget the curds!