tOfficial "I've got to try that" thread

Is that the squeaky cheese?

Yeah, but battered and deep fried.

homer drool GIF

I guess you could do it in an oven, but having that little smoke to the taste is nice.

I typically throw Mac and cheese inside the smoker as well for that meal. Don't use hickory, as that makes the Mac a little too bitter. Go with apple or pecan
Naw, it's not that I didn't think it could be done- it's that I don't think I have the technique yet. I typically never use hickory. Oak, apple, cherry, mostly.

Naw, it's not that I didn't think it could be done- it's that I don't think I have the technique yet. I typically never use hickory. Oak, apple, cherry, mostly.

You'll be fine. Following the recipe, the meat mixture will be a little wet and could be easy to fall apart. You should put it in the fridge to firm up a little before forming the loaf and I'd suggest to lay down a large layer of foil to put your first half of meat mixture on in an oval/ rectangular shape, then cheese followed by the top layer of meat. After pressing down to "seal"the cheese inside like a ravioli, roll the whole loaf tightly in the foil and refrigerate for another 30-60 minutes before adding the sauce and putting on the smoker. You'll still likely have some cheese come through, but this should help. So would bacon wrap around, but that depends on your heart health, haha.

It's essentially a "juicy Lucy" on steroids. As a matter of practice, you should try making some juicy Lucy burgers, whether smoked or grilled. The meat wouldn't be as wet, but if you're worried about technique, then those would be an easy and less time consuming way to practice.

Oh I have a ton around me too, but not Krisy Kreme. closest is Grapevine for me.

I didn't have the energy to make the drive this morning
I’d have to head to Frisco (I think), but I don’t doughnut very often and when I do, I don’t tend to go to a chain. The nice Korean ladies always give my daughters free donut holes when we go to the ones near us.

Thanks for the tip. I'll bring antibiotics.
Pro tip - You can't make good Bar BQ and comply with the health code either. The more dingy the pit the better the meat.

Pro tip - You can't make good Bar BQ and comply with the health code either. The more dingy the pit the better the meat.

A nicely primed pot/pan is always welcomed to me.

@fordman84

Pulled some jalapeños off my plant earlier and plan to try my first attempt at those armadillo eggs tomorrow, along with burgers, my BBQ rub seasoned pork patties, and mac and cheese.

I think I'll leave the remaining jalapeños to ripen on the plant a little more and try making chipotles when I cook a pork shoulder in a couple weeks.20210708_161502.jpg20210708_163533.jpg

@fordman84

Pulled some jalapeños off my plant earlier and plan to try my first attempt at those armadillo eggs tomorrow, along with burgers, my BBQ rub seasoned pork patties, and mac and cheese.

I think I'll leave the remaining jalapeños to ripen on the plant a little more and try making chipotles when I cook a pork shoulder in a couple weeks.View attachment 35222View attachment 35223
Oh man, those look GOOD! If you have anyone that hates heat in your house, soak those jalapeños (after cutting open and de-seeding) in sprite for about 30. Loses all the heat, keeps all the flavor.

Oh man, those look GOOD! If you have anyone that hates heat in your house, soak those jalapeños (after cutting open and de-seeding) in sprite for about 30. Loses all the heat, keeps all the flavor.

Yeah, you mentioned that earlier in this thread, but the kids aren't going to have any of these yet. I want to try it first, along with my wife, to see if it'll be made again.

We used to do this.
How old are your kids?
8 year old son
6 year old daughter

Neither would probably eat these, even if it wasn't spicy, but I'll keep the sprite suggestion for a future party with adults that would eat them.

I could spin around blindfolded and hit a nine iron in any direction from my house and it would likely land in front of a donut shop. They’re everywhere around here. I think there’s a local ordinance that requires every strip mall to have a donut shop, nail salon, dentist office and Tae Kwon Do.

What, no rub and tug?

@fordman84

I think I'll leave the remaining jalapeños to ripen on the plant a little more and try making chipotles when I cook a pork shoulder in a couple weeks.View attachment 35222View attachment 35223
Instead of having these as an appetizer, I saw someone make these but wrapped in seasoned ground beef first, then the bacon so it was more of a full meal. I'd definitely try 'em!

Instead of having these as an appetizer, I saw someone make these but wrapped in seasoned ground beef first, then the bacon so it was more of a full meal. I'd definitely try 'em!

They're wrapped in sausage, then bacon. You may be able to see some poking through some gaps in the bacon. Didn't feel like washing my hands in between to take a picture with just the sausage prior to bacon.

Those will be hot as fuck! Need to cut the peppers in half.

Jalapeños aren't very hot to me, especially being cored like that.

I could spin around blindfolded and hit a nine iron in any direction from my house and it would likely land in front of a donut shop. They’re everywhere around here. I think there’s a local ordinance that requires every strip mall to have a donut shop, nail salon, dentist office and Tae Kwon Do.
Fam lives off Virginia Parkway a few miles west. I will vouch for your statement.

Do you like QuikTrips?

some say he's the best...I'd give it a whirl

I'm sure it's standard fare for most midwesterners, but that butter burger and a frozen custard from Culver's is on my short list.
Only meal I’ve had from a chain in weeks is a Butter Burger Mushroom Swiss and curds.

Not really fast food at Culver’s. Kinda. Sat in my car with a number on the window for about ten minutes. Worth every second.

Had a bomb pastie for lunch today. Somebody needs to take those out into the world for more to enjoy.