Top 15 Universities with the most athletics related debt

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
Debt-Laden College Football Programs Making Muni Market Nervous

Whoa! (Scroll down in the article for the full chart that shows the amounts for each school.)

1. Cal
2. Texas A&M
3. Michigan
4. Minnesota
5. Washington
6. Illinois
7. LSU
8. Colorado State
9. Alabama
10. Georgia Tech
11. Oklahoma
12. Arizona State
13. Iowa
14. Oregon
15. Ohio State

I wish this was a joke but I bet aggy is hoping the hurricane hits Houston again to get more money.

Don't care. Need football.

Boren has been strapping us with debt for years. People don’t realize how bad it really is.

I wish this was a joke but I bet aggy is hoping the hurricane hits Houston again to get more money.
aTm has plenty of cash and an army of boosters. Their biggest problem is they have signed both football and basketball head coaches to ridiculous expensive and long term deals so they had better work out (and I don’t think either does).

Alabama can finance their shit pretty easily and are growing their alumni base by a large margin through increased enrollment.

LSU has a major problem and it isn’t just athletics as they have overspent big time in their building programs. I wouldn’t want that mess. They are probably in the worst shape of the SEC schools at this point but winning the national championship probably pushed the issue down the road.

It’s not really shocking how many PAC schools are on the list and I imagine they and B1G schools are going to start moving up.

Georgia Tech is paying like 3 basketball coaches right now.

Baylor too low

Nah, if they can afford the $75 million dollar man, they can afford to make their note payment. Me thinks their ROI is better on facilities than salaries.

Is Tech still paying Paul Hewitt? He was fired nearly a decade ago. That would be absolutely insane.
They were at the time they hired their current coach. Might have him paid off by now.

They were at the time they hired their current coach. Might have him paid off by now.
He was paid off a few years ago. It was a great contract from his perspective, but our former AD was a total idiot for giving it to him. Worst contract ever for us to give any single person.

aTm has plenty of cash and an army of boosters. Their biggest problem is they have signed both football and basketball head coaches to ridiculous expensive and long term deals so they had better work out (and I don’t think either does).

Alabama can finance their shit pretty easily and are growing their alumni base by a large margin through increased enrollment.

LSU has a major problem and it isn’t just athletics as they have overspent big time in their building programs. I wouldn’t want that mess. They are probably in the worst shape of the SEC schools at this point but winning the national championship probably pushed the issue down the road.
It's crazy how they look as if they just print money when they don't. They have to beg the state for money almost every year. The season where they boasted about being number 1 was due to money coming in for the stadium upgrade/expansion. They are so money tight that they dropped it's entrance standards.. It's acceptance rate is almost 70%.. that's more than Texas Tech.

They whined and cried about Tech opening their own vet school.. enough to block the move several times. Tech stayed at it and now have it's vet department. They have taken money from the admin side to help pay for the athletic projects/payroll. And with oil taking a big hit this year, you can bet they will be asking the state for more.

2020 will mark the 6th year since 2006 that aggy athletics had a "financial emergency" and couldn't pay it's bills (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012). The ags had plenty of opportunity to pay off their previous indebtedness to the academic side and to establish a reserve fund for future "financial emergencies."

Instead, they chose to overbuild their stadium and to waste money on coaching salaries.

According to the ags, they have plenty of money to weather the current financial storm. As of their July 2020 financial filings, the entire Texas A&M System alumni endowment is now over $1B.

If the ags want to rob their academic endowment to spend still more on athletics, let them. Out of their endowment, not out of the UT endowment. Not a penny out of the PUF or AUF other than for its original intended purposes. If the voters would separate The University of Texas and Texas A&M into two separate institutions and segregate the PUF (how could aggys not be in favor of a plan calling for segregation?) we would all be better off. The need for UT to distance itself from A&M as much as possible cannot be over emphasized.

Reality is going to hit the aggys hard when it comes time to balance their books. And I can't think their demand to keep their shrine to "the gallant Texas negro killer" is going to sway many legislative votes their way.

They irresponsibly spent on athletics and now hard times have come. I'm not sure how what is about to befall the aggys will be determined by the rednecks to be "tu's" fault, but you know its coming. They overspent on their stadium and wasted money on coaching contracts. Now they aren't going to be able to pay their bills, and its someone else's fault.---RD

everyone is gonna take a hit, UT announced a 15% cut in pay for the top so and so salaries. They know they would be taking a hit which is why they are all in for this season to play out. Try to negate that hit as much as they can.

And with oil taking a big hit this year, you can bet they will be asking the state for more.
The state ain't going to have any money. Everyone is barking up the wrong tree there.

Texas got a double revenue whack in 2020....and we only really rely on two sources of revenue. COVID killed sales taxes for a while and oil price tanked again.

everyone is gonna take a hit, UT announced a 15% cut in pay for the top so and so salaries. They know they would be taking a hit which is why they are all in for this season to play out. Try to negate that hit as much as they can.
At best you are looking at 25% stadium capacity and no tailgating. Auburn and Alabama both have probably 10 to 15k at every game that tailgate but don’t go in or head home to watch the game.

I never understood that though. If I’m making the effort to drive my ass there then I’m going to game or watching a truck load of games on the TV. I have 3 seasons to socialize the fall is for football.