Top 15 Universities with the most athletics related debt

At best you are looking at 25% stadium capacity and no tailgating. Auburn and Alabama both have probably 10 to 15k at every game that tailgate but don’t go in or head home to watch the game.

I never understood that though. If I’m making the effort to drive my ass there then I’m going to game or watching a truck load of games on the TV. I have 3 seasons to socialize the fall is for football.
I'm sure some smart people not affiliated with the schools will be having outdoor events with Big Screens showing the game and plenty of vendors .. it will be spaced out, but it can happen

LMAO @ Ohio State and Oregon. They have half the debt of nearly insolvent Cal, but pay almost the same debt service....Bama and LSU too.

All I know is the SEC financials. It's really interesting how different the expenses are - while the revenues are pretty close. What's with Bama - pay cash for the new lights?? <sorry - couldn't figure out how to post in columns>

Total operating revenue

Texas A&M (2): $212.7M

Georgia (5): $174M

Alabama* (7): $164M

Florida (9): $159.7M

LSU (10): $157.8M

Auburn (13): $152.5M

Kentucky (15): $150.4M

Tennessee (16): $143.8M

South Carolina (17): $140.7M

Arkansas (20): $137.5M

Mississippi State (30): $112.3M

Mississippi (34): $108.4M

Missouri (37): $106.6M

Total operating expenses

Alabama (4): $185.3M

Texas A&M (5): $169M

LSU (11): $149M

Kentucky (13): $144.9M

Georgia (14): $143.3M

Tennessee (15): $143M

Florida (16): $141.8M

Auburn (17): $139.3M

South Carolina (18): $136.9M

Arkansas (22): $129.6M

Mississippi (30): $113M

Missouri (35): $108.4M

Mississippi State (40): $98.8M

Operating surplus (or deficit)

Texas A&M: $43.7M

Georgia: $30.7M

Florida: $17.9M

Mississippi State: $13.4M

Auburn: $13.2M

LSU: $8.8M

Arkansas: $7.9M

Kentucky: $5.5M

South Carolina: $3.8M

Tennessee: $ 789,730

Missouri: ($1.8M)

Mississippi: ($4.6M)

Alabama*: ($21.2M)

LMAO @ Ohio State and Oregon. They have half the debt of nearly insolvent Cal, but pay almost the same debt service....Bama and LSU too.

All I know is the SEC financials. It's really interesting how different the expenses are - while the revenues are pretty close. What's with Bama - pay cash for the new lights?? <sorry - couldn't figure out how to post in columns>

Total operating revenue

Total operating expenses

Silly Bama. They need to come to Texas to learn the Dallas Cowboy way. How many years have Jerry's Cowgirls been the most valuable sports franchise in the US? How many championships do they have recently?

Texas and A&M have been following Jerry's lead for years. The name of the game isn't winning football championships or total expenses. The name of the game is generating revenue. Whoever generates the most overall revenue is the winner. Piss on winning on the field or spending money. Isn't increasing revenue what was the impetus for conference realignment?

Total operating revenue

Total operating expenses

Alabama has been on a massive spending spree the last 10 years upgrading pretty much everything football related (they sure haven’t spent it on basketball because Colman is a dump). Of course they added 15k in student enrollment during that time as well and I think the plan is 10k more in the future. I suspect their spending is going to slow down because their project list should be about done and contributions will increase due to the increased alumni base.

Auburn is stuck with the 25k enrollment they have and are moving in the direction of being more selective in their enrollment. Down the road it will mean they have to be more selective in how they spend. Right now they focused on basketball which had been neglected for decades and that investment is paying off. Next step will be on football facilities but it will take time.

Alabama has gone with the build it and they will come and it’s not a bad plan since they have the infrastructure to make it happen. The risk is when Saban leaves and the program starts struggling will the out of state enrollment drop off? That is a possibility because nothing last forever and it they start struggling to hit their 40k number it will hurt.

Auburn can’t just build because what we have on campus is what we will have on campus in the future so the model is more stable. You just have to be smart how and where you spend.

Silly Bama. They need to come to Texas to learn the Dallas Cowboy way. How many years have Jerry's Cowgirls been the most valuable sports franchise in the US? How many championships do they have recently?

Texas and A&M have been following Jerry's lead for years. The name of the game isn't winning football championships or total expenses. The name of the game is generating revenue. Whoever generates the most overall revenue is the winner. Piss on winning on the field or spending money. Isn't increasing revenue what was the impetus for conference realignment?
Sounds like aTm has been playing with numbers and counting donations to build facilities but those are one time gifts. The problem is you have to get to the recurring income and that seems to be an issue for them.

Sounds like aTm has been playing with numbers and counting donations to build facilities but those are one time gifts. The problem is you have to get to the recurring income and that seems to be an issue for them.
Yep. Recurring expenses without at least equivalent revenue is a recipe for long term problems. But, aggie math ya know.

But the point was, too many are more concerned with being #1 in money issues more than winning. Why'd all the conference realingment happen? Money, plain and simple.

This seems an appropriate place for this.

"Texas Tech will eliminate 40 positions from its athletic department and reduce the salary of many remaining employees in the face of an expected $25 million reduction in revenue over the next year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The cuts announced by the department Monday night, the final day of the fiscal year for the department, are expected to save Texas Tech roughly $4.5 million. Employees with annual salaries of $30,000 or more will see reductions of 3% to 14% in pay, while those making less than that won't have their salaries reduced."

Texas Tech athletics cutting 40 positions, reducing salaries

This seems an appropriate place for this.

"Texas Tech will eliminate 40 positions from its athletic department and reduce the salary of many remaining employees in the face of an expected $25 million reduction in revenue over the next year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The cuts announced by the department Monday night, the final day of the fiscal year for the department, are expected to save Texas Tech roughly $4.5 million. Employees with annual salaries of $30,000 or more will see reductions of 3% to 14% in pay, while those making less than that won't have their salaries reduced."

Texas Tech athletics cutting 40 positions, reducing salaries
40 positions.. wow. Feel for those people. Can only imagine how much worse this could be if there was a zero chance of a season happening.

Yeah, aTm needs an asterisk in those revenue numbers for something.

Awbarn is mismanaged. You have the retarded vo-tech down the road at Bama. So, the money is in differentiating yourselves from that shit. Get your scholastics way up and put on the facade of Southern sophistication....and then raise the price of everything.

Sure Bama is in the top 80 public schools. lol But Auburn needs to get up into the 20s and start charging those sweet potato queens more for everything. Sell some of those turkey toilets!

Texas just made cuts too

Texas just made cuts too

I can't understand why we haven't seen more schools making cuts similar to those at Texas and Tech. The entities that run a 9/1 to 8/31 fiscal year should all be making cuts like these. Seems to me like they are going to wait and close the gate AFTER the cows are already out of the pasture. Unless they've found that ever elusive money tree my daughters always thought existed.

I can't understand why we haven't seen more schools making cuts similar to those at Texas and Tech. The entities that run a 9/1 to 8/31 fiscal year should all be making cuts like these. Seems to me like they are going to wait and close the gate AFTER the cows are already out of the pasture. Unless they've found that ever elusive money tree my daughters always thought existed.
yeah, think the fiscal years for Texas schools may be different from the rest. This is a wake up call, from here on out, I don't think they will have as many positions to continue running the department. They should let Plonsky walk, no need for two separate ADs anymore.

I’ve got one of those daughters.

Plenty of coaching staffs are taking cuts so this is going on at more places than you think. The one’s off the top of my head:

Iowa
Clemson
Minnesota
Stanford

ESPN is reporting that half of major college football and basketball coaches have taken voluntary cuts but that is increasing rapidly.

I’ve got one of those daughters.

Plenty of coaching staffs are taking cuts so this is going on at more places than you think. The one’s off the top of my head:

Iowa
Clemson
Minnesota
Stanford

ESPN is reporting that half of major college football and basketball coaches have taken voluntary cuts but that is increasing rapidly.
I guess I just haven't heard about it. IIRC, only about 30-35 schools operated their athletic departments in the black BEFOREall this crap.

My youngest daughter has an innate ability. Upon entering any retail establishment she can immediately walk up to the most expensive item in it without ever looking at a price tag. She should have married Bill Gates' son.

I guess I just haven't heard about it. IIRC, only about 30-35 schools operated their athletic departments in the black BEFOREall this crap.

My youngest daughter has an innate ability. Upon entering any retail establishment she can immediately walk up to the most expensive item in it without ever looking at a price tag. She should have married Bill Gates' son.
My youngest at the Coast Guard Academy is on full ride, gets a monthly stipend of $425 (which has very little to pay for anyway) and over 18k in a savings account.

My oldest is broke, probably owes 2k on credit cards and talks her grandfathers into sending her money. She is working on a masters degree but she is on loans and I'm tapped out of funding her. My wife and I bought a boat with our youngest daughter's college fund and we're going to have fun now.