Tow hitch

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 67,441.00
Took a tow hitch off one of my old company vans, before I traded it in. Didnt measure it, but kept it for my old Ford pick up.

Turns out it was 9.5 inches too wide for the frame of the truck. So i had to cut 4.75" from either side, and weld the mounting plates back on.

20201105_161940.jpg

The blocks in the bed are what were cut out.

Going to figure out what kind of roll pan I am going to go with now. Something like this though.

mrk-120459.jpg

s_GJkwOJ_pEZ4WM8Ag75w3xGkX4hIewsyDfsA12eidVG7Vr-3Q0Bvy8a7wW9Hqr06B4-glVabeqo-omP1FMD-FTnQFr8d4GRzfQhhA

Probably order something this week. Kind of the last project before I paint this old goat.

I just hope you own the company.

Still need to align the tailgate, but its basically done. 20201108_200800.jpg20201108_211133.jpg20201108_211058.jpg

Not real happy with the edges where they tie in under the tail lights, but had enough of it for this go round. Might tighten those up before paint.

Whoa... Tail lights looked a little older. But '78 was a good year too. I loved 70-72 Fords

If I'd have even known that there was such a thing in 1978 I'd have figured out a way to afford it.
I wish I had a picture of when I got it. Bought it from my father in law probably 20 years ago. It was his company concrete truck, and had a 2' square tubing rack, from bumper to bumper that took myself and 2 other guys, a full 8 hour day to cut up with grinders enough to haul to the scrap yard. Rack, wheels, and bumpers were paint in Ford's own Chrome yellow. The rear bumper was just a 6 inch steel pipe with a hitch welded to it.

Thing was only running on 4 cylinders, and was a fucking mess in general. Gave him 700 bucks for it.

Was working at a Ford dealership, in the parts dept, and met a couple of the mechanics there. Had one of them rebuild the entire engine for about 600, as I got a smoking discount on parts. Engine probably has 20k on it.. New carb, distruibutor, ignition system, fuel lines etc.

Did a bunch of the body work years ago, and life got busy, so it sat. I always start it up and let it run, keep up on the rubber replacements like belts an hoses. The only thing really left to do is paint it, and upholster the seats. I put in a rubber floor kit a couple years ago too.