Upholstery

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 67,441.00
@Edisto_Tiger . I am thinking about making seat covers, or really, making copies of the upholstery for the seat covers. If I break the fabric down to sections, and cut them all an inch long around the perimeter, and sew it back together, I should be close. I am just wondering what other tools, or techniques will make my life easier?

I bought my daughter a pretty nice sewing machine years ago, and she used it about 4 times. is there a special needle I should get, and what kind of thread should I used to sew it up with?

I also want to incoporate fabric and vinyl materials, to give them an original look. like this:

33943e443f9e6b3406fc817e77c2c0fe--truck-interior-interior-ideas.jpg

but not the door panels.

I feel like its something I could do, but just never really have. Any tips from anyone that may know anything about this shit, let me know. Going to look on youtube a bit too.

Original look???
I like it.
Even if it not original, someone that doesnt know fords every year seat pattern, wouldnt know its not. Kind of my plan for the outside too.

Edit: i want to do almost that exact look in that picture.

@Edisto_Tiger . I am thinking about making seat covers, or really, making copies of the upholstery for the seat covers. If I break the fabric down to sections, and cut them all an inch long around the perimeter, and sew it back together, I should be close. I am just wondering what other tools, or techniques will make my life easier?

I bought my daughter a pretty nice sewing machine years ago, and she used it about 4 times. is there a special needle I should get, and what kind of thread should I used to sew it up with?

I also want to incoporate fabric and vinyl materials, to give them an original look. like this:

but not the door panels.

I feel like its something I could do, but just never really have. Any tips from anyone that may know anything about this shit, let me know. Going to look on youtube a bit too.
is it a walking foot machine? With the vinyl, cloth, and that piping/welt, it’s going to be a thick layer. You probably need an industrial machine.

When I’m working with vinyl, I use a #20 needle and #92 size thread.

And yes, you’ll want to cut the old piece apart at the seams, then trace it onto your new fabric adding your seam allowance, which is usually 3/8-5/8, depending on how bulky the material is and what you’re comfortable with. I use a 3/8 seam allowance with vinyl and a 1/2 with sunbrella style (boat covers) material.

Tools …

In an ideal world, you would have an industrial, compound walking foot machine. Then you will want to have a seam ripper, basting/seam tape, a marker that can be wiped away with a damp clothe, a sharpie, plier handle stapler, a good pair of scissors, rulers/tape measure, razor knife, etc.

Typically I will make notes all over the old fabric with a sharpie before I separate it and take lots of pics!

but not the door panels.

A credit card would be the best tool you could use. I redid the seats in my 84 F150 and my 66 mustang. If not for the fact they were machine die cut, sewn, ribbed, and pocketed there is no chance they ended up looking decent. All I had to do was hog ring them and they still were the second biggest pain I ever did (first was wiring that SOB). I couldn't imagine trying to get the measurements, cut, sewn, and reinforced in the right way to make it not just all fall apart the second you sit on it.

Not trying to be a prick here because you have done other great work, but everyone needs that realist voice to remind you of options.

Typically I will make notes all over the old fabric with a sharpie before I separate it and take lots of pics!
My machine may not make it. That is probablyba deal killer. I have razors, and keep boxes of blades, and good scissors. I have a few different staplers. I did some heavy duty wallpaper, vinyls en such, so i under stand panterns, and the importance of throwing away blades.

We’ll damn! I was trying to post some pics but it keeps telling me the file is too large.

And to be fair, I'd probably tackle the door panels first. Those look pretty straight forward and will let you know on a small, single type of fabric would you would be into for that bench seat.

A credit card would be the best tool you could use. I redid the seats in my 84 F150 and my 66 mustang. If not for the fact they were machine die cut, sewn, ribbed, and pocketed there is no chance they ended up looking decent. All I had to do was hog ring them and they still were the second biggest pain I ever did (first was wiring that SOB). I couldn't imagine trying to get the measurements, cut, sewn, and reinforced in the right way to make it not just all fall apart the second you sit on it.

Not trying to be a prick here because you have done other great work, but everyone needs that realist voice to remind you of options.
I could pay for it. I should pay for it. I am dumb enough to try.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the hog rings and pliers for that.

And to be fair, I'd probably tackle the door panels first. Those look pretty straight forward and will let you know on a small, single type of fabric would you would be into for that bench seat.
Mine are all black, on white painted door, and done. Its a bench seat.

I could pay for it. I should pay for it. I am dumb enough to try.
That's my motto as long as my trying doesn't cost more than me paying someone else. If I have to buy $250 in tools and $250 in materials but can hire someone to do it all for $450...no brainer.

Plus I'm notorious for getting into the middle of a new job and needing some expensive new tool. Like my siding nailer in the middle of my workshop build.

My machine may not make it. That is probablyba deal killer. I have razors, and keep boxes of blades, and good scissors. I have a few different staplers. I did some heavy duty wallpaper, vinyls en such, so i under stand panterns, and the importance of throwing away blades.
Run a trial sample through the machine and see. You can find used machines for $500 - $1000. I got mine for $500.