What would you do if CFB created a "Super League"

please tell me where i said any of what you claim i said.

and yes i believe they would survive. at any given time an injury is no more likely to happen playing Ohio State, Oklahoma and Clemson as it would be playing Texas Tech, South Carolina and WSU.
show me any evidence to the contrary.

they almost all go back to practice by the next monday. even after playing one of these teams.
if this were done there would be no reason to just have 1 bye in there like there is now.
Look, Oly, I've known countless guys at OU who played against Texas and Nebraska back when the Huskers were strong as a garlic malt. Everyone was beat up after games like that! Teams with bigger, faster players or a hated rival hit harder and injuries occur more often than when you're playing a weaker team that is over matched. You know that. When Oregon plays a weak ass Stony Brook team the chances of multiple injuries are far less than when you will go play against Ohio State. Now think about playing a team at or near the level of an Ohio State week in and week out. You would be a mess if you didn't have some gaps in your schedule; any team would be. That's why open dates are important and they would be even more important if everyone was not playing the easier games that are now on everyone's schedule.

Alabama
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Florida State
USC
OU
Texas
Florida
LSU
Clemson
Auburn
Michigan
Penn State
Georgia
Nebraska
Tennessee

There, 16 team super conference done, the rest can go ahead n drop their football program.

Look, Oly, I've known countless guys at OU who played against Texas and Nebraska back when the Huskers were strong as a garlic malt. Everyone was beat up after games like that! Teams with bigger, faster players or a hated rival hit harder and injuries occur more often than when you're playing a weaker team that is over matched. You know that. When Oregon plays a weak ass Stony Brook team the chances of multiple injuries are far less than when you will go play against Ohio State. Now think about playing a team at or near the level of an Ohio State week in and week out. You would be a mess if you didn't have some gaps in your schedule; any team would be. That's why open dates are important and they would be even more important if everyone was not playing the easier games that are now on everyone's schedule.
yes they were beat up for a few days but the guys I knew that played for Oregon back in the early 2000s would come off a game with a top ranked Washington or Washington state or Oregon State or USC and by Wed were back at or near 100%.

There is no evidence that supports playing a team like Oklahoma, Ohio State or Clemson is any more likely to result in injury than playing Texas Tech, Michigan State or North Carolina.
comparing an FCS team to a play off team is asinine and you know it is not comparable

Chelsea and Man City are opting out. so who from the original invites says thanks but no thanks?

That's certainly the argument for ESL, and in this version of the conversation CFBSL. Why should Ohio State and Michigan continue to share equal share of the BTN revenue with Rutgers? It's essentially the same reasoning Texas had when they agreed to launch the LHN.

These big name schools are almost always the ones who win the CFP anyhow, so why not cut out the middle man and just set up the league with only these big name schools.
I've wondered this ever since the conference realignment started. It seemed the conferences were interested in "growing" the pie and therefore each member's piece of the pie would be bigger. But, the contributions for the ingredients of the pie are not equal. The "big boys" bring more ingredients to the baking and yet the lesser contributors are getting the same size piece of the pie.

Everyone threw rocks at the rusty cows for their "greed". But, let's be real, they bring more ingredients to the bake off than TCU, K-State or Texas Tech. Just like USC brings more than Arizona, Cal and Wazzou.

Hasn’t this been talked about since right prior the BCS?

Hasn’t this been talked about since right prior the BCS?

Ever since big TV money has been a factor, some form of this has been thought and talked about.

Chelsea and Man City are opting out. so who from the original invites says thanks but no thanks?
I think the whole thing has collapsed already.

One big reason this wouldn't work is the difference in the number of games played between a soccer league and a college football league. In a 20-team soccer league you can play 38 games in a season, home and away. Good luck trying that with American football.

I think the whole thing has collapsed already.

One big reason this wouldn't work is the difference in the number of games played between a soccer league and a college football league. In a 20-team soccer league you can play 38 games in a season, home and away. Good luck trying that with American football.

Yeah, the whole super league idea collapsed hilariously quickly (thankfully).

For College Football, I would envision something like a 24 team "league" wherein the teams are divided into divisions and the top 4 from each division qualify for the playoffs. You play the other 11 teams in your division plus potentially 3 more playoff games for a total of 14 games played, so not really any different from the current schedule load.

Pros: you get the best games in college football week in and week out; tv ratings and money would be through the roof; you get an unquestioned true champion at the end of the season

Cons: there are many teams outside the "top 24" that would be excluded; you destroy many traditional rivalries and in some cases you just sorta destroy tradition in general; you could see a spike in injuries with more high-intensity games being played by each team

Ever since big TV money has been a factor, some form of this has been thought and talked about.
I know it has, but I’m pretty sure most P5 conferences have looked at breaking away from the NCAA, but in the end they need the NCAA as it is a necessary evil because they can govern all. Regardless of how much money is tossed out I cannot see all P5 conferences or even a small group for a super league agreeing for the “greater good of all” when alumni (and now some state legislatures) rule athletic departments.

I know it has, but I’m pretty sure most P5 conferences have looked at breaking away from the NCAA, but in the end they need the NCAA as it is a necessary evil because they can govern all. Regardless of how much money is tossed out I cannot see all P5 conferences or even a small group for a super league agreeing for the “greater good of all” when alumni (and now some state legislatures) rule athletic departments.

Yeah, im not going to predict doom and gloom for college sports or some breakaway agreement. Thinking the power brokers at major schools will come up with a system that benefits the greater good of the sport is laughable. That said, the NCAA is kind of a joke too.

As long the "marquee" schools are willing to share the revenue generated by their names with schools that don't generate as much, things will continue as they are IMO.

As long the "marquee" schools are willing to share the revenue generated by their names with schools that don't generate as much, things will continue as they are IMO.
the main problem with that is who are the marquee schools at any given time.
Ohio State pretty consistently but people wanna say Michigan and Penn State but Wisconsin has been arguably better over how many seasons now.
people will always say USC in the Pac because of history but in recent that isnt as true.
if not for Clemson who would you point at in the ACC?

It practically already is, just not "official"

At this point, if you're not Bama, OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, or a wild card (ND, Georgia, LSU, etc.), then your just a school with a football team. These other places? It's a business, even more so than what it was before. This is why I pretty much stopped caring about CFB outside of Penn State apart from a few games for the better half of this century, CFP did not help at all.

I'm not sure why these 'lesser schools' would just be willing to have their biggest names get up and leave??

They have played their 'punching bag' role for generations now.

What would you do if CFB created a "Super League"​

It would be called the SEC. I haven't read the thread but if this hasn't already been posted, @HammerLuvsMamba is a thing.

the main problem with that is who are the marquee schools at any given time.
Ohio State pretty consistently but people wanna say Michigan and Penn State but Wisconsin has been arguably better over how many seasons now.
people will always say USC in the Pac because of history but in recent that isnt as true.
if not for Clemson who would you point at in the ACC?
The marquee schools could definitely change over time. Clemson is in much more demand now that Miami. But that wasn't the case a few years ago.

But, to answer your question, I would define it as the schools the networks are willing to fork out very large amounts of money to in order to televise their games at that point in time. They do it for conferences, i.e. the B1G gets a lot more television revenue than the AAC because they are more "marquee". Why couldn't it be the same for individual schools? ESPN pays big money to the SEC in order to televise Alabama vs Vanderbilt, not Kentucky vs Vanderbilt. Right?

I'm not sure why these 'lesser schools' would just be willing to have their biggest names get up and leave??

They have played their 'punching bag' role for generations now.
The "lesser schools" have also benefited financially while being punched. Whenhe was at TCU, Del Conte really stressed how much the additional revenue in the Big 12 benefitted the other sports at TCU. And that wouldn't have been as big a check without Texas and Oklahoma in the conference. Sans those two schools, the MWC and Big 12 would probably garner closer to the same amount of conference TV revenue.

Yeah, im not going to predict doom and gloom for college sports or some breakaway agreement. Thinking the power brokers at major schools will come up with a system that benefits the greater good of the sport is laughable. That said, the NCAA is kind of a joke too.
Without question the NCAA is a joke. Just IMO overall college sports needs some type of governing body. But call me ignorant but I can’t imagine Ohio State and Alabama agreeing upon anything outside of a cash grab game. Call me glass half empty guy but there is no men’s or women’s NCAA tournament without college football money, which there wouldn’t be the extra money if the few schools make all of the money. Kind of the European argument for the trickle down effect and how American professional sports reward terrible on field product but an Oregon can crash the blue blood fest. If we want to equate college sports with the Super League then Nebraska, Michigan, Army and Navy would be first in line.

But that isn’t how the super league is. It was the top teams plus legacy teams. Alabama isn’t going to subsidize the SEC non profit sports. Army and Navy are the most legacy football programs in the country, they ain’t doing shit. Whether it be USC or Oregon on the west coast they will always be a no vote on football only objectives if it doesn’t trickle down to their Olympic sports. This is all theoretical but Alabama isn’t going to be gifted 500 million dollars, bring it home then split that with other members of the conference, thus, the end of Kentucky basketball. Same with the Pac, Ohio State in the B1G, Clemson in the ACC.

Super leagues look great on paper, just as P5 only conferences but even just straight P5 conferences, no way scheduling works. You can’t have the tops of conference play the lower end of the conferences, just as you can’t have the tops play each other. To me, it is a great idea on paper, but just like throughout mankind the things that work perfectly on paper end up being the worst ideas.