What would you do if CFB created a "Super League"

for the most part wasnt regionality more for driving or trains or whatever where as now with flying its become less of a factor.

I think OU fans and leadership would prefer SEC. The geography is real. Someone pointed out Arizona, Colorado, and Utah for Texas but the entire SEC West except maybe Auburn is closer to Texas. Texas would have more regional rivals like Arkansas, LSU, and of course Texas A&M in the SEC.

Ultimately the best move for Big12 is stay pat, grow brand, and add teams. If Texas leaves SEC makes the most sense but I don't see it happening.
Who do you think is available and attractive enough to move the needle?

OU would be the best addition to the SEC. We already recruit some of the best talent out of Texas each year. We would add an annual quality program in multiple sports(football, softball, mens and women's gymnastics, basketball(sometimes)). The reality is in the present state of the B12, there is OU and 9 teams that look up to OU year after year. OU needs better competition to get better. Yes, each season there is 1, maybe 2, teams that challenge us. Teams like KSU, which are spoilers(beat us and finish mediocre).
If paired with UT, yes. Going with KU or osu? ehhh tougher sell for the SEC. Is ou really going to bring in that much money to boost every school payout every year? With UT of course..but after that....
for the most part dont we have geo regional conferences and divisions now?
Not in the Big12.. and poor Mizzu.. they aren't in a geographical division
that will be much more clearer once we see if FOX ponies up more money for ou PPV games

BYU and Cincinnati are the best two open options. Beg Nebraska to come back. Other decent options could be Air Force/Colorado Strate to get Colorado back and possibly New Mexico to open a new market.

If paired with UT, yes. Going with KU or osu? ehhh tougher sell for the SEC. Is ou really going to bring in that much money to boost every school payout every year? With UT of course..but after that....

that will be much more clearer once we see if FOX ponies up more money for ou PPV games

We don't need UT, we got Texas A&M who will slowly start to supplant Texas.

Oklahoma is more valuable to the SEC then Texas due to that fact. However, I think the SEC would be hard pressed to add Okie State. I would push for both as a commish because OSU is decent in all sports but I imagine most people are considering TV markets and wouldn't want OSU.

We don't need UT, we got Texas A&M who will slowly start to supplant Texas.

Oklahoma is more valuable to the SEC then Texas due to that fact
. However, I think the SEC would be hard pressed to add Okie State. I would push for both as a commish because OSU is decent in all sports but I imagine most people are considering TV markets and wouldn't want OSU.
Ice Cube Lol GIF

BYU and Cincinnati are the best two open options. Beg Nebraska to come back. Other decent options could be Air Force/Colorado Strate to get Colorado back and possibly New Mexico to open a new market.
BYU is a national draw for sure. Hell, it is probably an international draw just because of LDS. They'd probably bring enough money to the table to keep from reducing the rest. Might even increase some for the others.

Nebraska ain't coming back. Air Force, Colorado State are just adding more TCU, K-State types. Big 12 has enough of those. New Mexico only moves the needle for snow skiiing.

BYU is a national draw for sure. Hell, it is probably an international draw just because of LDS. They'd probably bring enough money to the table to keep from reducing the rest. Might even increase some for the others.

Nebraska ain't coming back. Air Force, Colorado State are just adding more TCU, K-State types. Big 12 has enough of those. New Mexico only moves the needle for snow skiiing.
You are discounting the strength of their Crystal Meth team.

You are discounting the strength of their Crystal Meth team.
True.

I was going to say Colorado really hasn't helped the PAC 12 improve. And I thought it might be nice to add CSU or Air Force because it would give all the other Big 12 fans a chance to legally enjoy a cannabis state on occasion.

So in the event where any of these teams or a whole lot of them were in the cellar of there conferences what happens then??

:dhd:

Do you people even think these things through?

Exactly. Every program goes through down periods. Even Alabama. How long does a team have to be down to be booted? How long does the team replacing them have to be up?

Also, what if a "founding member" is booted out, then gets their shit together again...how long do they have to keep it together before they get back in?

And most important...who decides all of that?

It would never work with BYU.. Guess the Big12 has a cap number on religious schools, even though TCU and Baylor have been model programs... :/

Exactly. Every program goes through down periods. Even Alabama. How long does a team have to be down to be booted? How long does the team replacing them have to be up?

Also, what if a "founding member" is booted out, then gets their shit together again...how long do they have to keep it together before they get back in?

And most important...who decides all of that?
who is a founding member that would get booted out?

The issue is that only Texas really sees the Pac12 as a good fit. The rest of the schools, notably Oklahoma, would rather stay out. The Pac12 is just too far away geographically, isn't a good cultural fit, and isn't that great, perception wise, in football. Big12, in its current setup, is a stronger football league than Pac12. (At least on paper).

The only league that really made any sense for Texas is the SEC. They are the closest league geographically and provide a scale up in competition. However, SEC now has A&M, so I don't see that happening.
They were down to go West a decade ago.. also.. they have had a lot of success recruiting out in CA, CO, AZ.. Think you'd be surprised on how much ou is a good fit out there.

who is a founding member that would get booted out?

Well, who knows? We don't have a super league. But if one was started, based on recent years compared normal expectations, Michigan, Texas and USC would probably be sweating at least a little over even getting in.

Well, who knows? We don't have a super league. But if one was started, based on recent years compared normal expectations, Michigan, Texas and USC would probably be sweating at least a little over even getting in.
Miami? FSU? Nebraska?

9 of 10 in the Big XII is. just WV as an outlier.

missouri in a division by name that throws it off but regionally they arent that far removed from Kentucky, Tennessee, and Vandy

We already have a SUPER league. It is called the SEC :).

They were down to go West a decade ago.. also.. they have had a lot of success recruiting out in CA, CO, AZ.. Think you'd be surprised on how much ou is a good fit out there.

No they weren't. They were stuck with the option go West or be left floundering.

BTW, Texas A&M will supplant Texas... it is just a matter of time. Kind of like politics, the old farts take years to get convinced. Here is the advantages A&M has versus Texas:

1. More success on the field currently and more potential for on the field success in the future (A&M is projected to be in top 15 going into this season and I think they have a great chance to finish as high as #2 in SEC West behind only Alabama)
2. Far more attractive opponents on their schedule (Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, etc.). The only major power program on Texas' schedule in-conference is Oklahoma. (There are good teams like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, etc. but they just don't have the fans, tv ratings, or tradition to get a lot of views. You have programs like Arkansas in the SEC who have stunk in recent years but still have more fans and a stronger brand).
3. Politics/Culture - UT Austin doesn't really fit Texan culture. With how liberal the school is, I can see them doing some stupid Woke thing that will turn off most of the Longhorn fan base similar to a Lebron James type move. A&M is far less likely to do this and the culture at the school is better aligned with most of the Texas culture (notably Texans who would be interested in football).

In reality, Texas needs Oklahoma to survive. The sad thing is Oklahoma is destroying Texas year-in and year-out. Even Baylor and TCU have had better programs in recent history. The only thing that Texas has going for them is the fact that they are called the University of Texas and their tradition.

9 of 10 in the Big XII is. just WV as an outlier.

missouri in a division by name that throws it off but regionally they arent that far removed from Kentucky, Tennessee, and Vandy

In many ways, Missouri cultural fits better with UK, Tennessee, and Vandy versus SEC West opponents. The only SEC West matchups that Missouri fans have any connection to are Arkansas and Texas A&M. The later more due to the Big12 connection.

Missouri is interesting because they have been far more successful in Football than I expected but far less successful in basketball then I expected. Missouri basketball looked like a good add to the SEC who needs stronger basketball programs but Missouri really hasn't done much on the hardwood since joining the SEC.

Why would UM be sweating for? because they haven't won a title since 97? It's not like they have had a long stretch of losing seasons either. They clearly are in the top group of the BIG with tosu and psu. And SC sweating?? C'mon man, they are one of the bluest of blue bloods out here. If they were to leave the PAC..the Pac would implode.
No they weren't. They were stuck with the option go West or be left floundering.

BTW, Texas A&M will supplant Texas... it is just a matter of time. Kind of like politics, the old farts take years to get convinced. Here is the advantages A&M has versus Texas:

1. More success on the field currently and more potential for on the field success in the future (A&M is projected to be in top 15 going into this season and I think they have a great chance to finish as high as #2 in SEC West behind only Alabama)
2. Far more attractive opponents on their schedule (Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, etc.). The only major power program on Texas' schedule in-conference is Oklahoma. (There are good teams like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State, etc. but they just don't have the fans, tv ratings, or tradition to get a lot of views. You have programs like Arkansas in the SEC who have stunk in recent years but still have more fans and a stronger brand).
3. Politics/Culture - UT Austin doesn't really fit Texan culture. With how liberal the school is, I can see them doing some stupid Woke thing that will turn off most of the Longhorn fan base similar to a Lebron James type move. A&M is far less likely to do this and the culture at the school is better aligned with most of the Texas culture (notably Texans who would be interested in football).

In reality, Texas needs Oklahoma to survive. The sad thing is Oklahoma is destroying Texas year-in and year-out. Even Baylor and TCU have had better programs in recent history. The only thing that Texas has going for them is the fact that they are called the University of Texas and their tradition.
LOL have you been to Austin? and news flash.. Houston is turning into "Austin" as well.. biggest cities of Texas all are. But I guess you mean a culture fit like College station is what the SEC is all about? And I'm not gonna even take a shot at aggys.. but they aren't slowly replacing UT as the flagship no more than Vanderbilt is replacing a craptastic two decade TN.

Also UT doesn't need ou to survive just as much as ou doesn't need UT.. they both survived a long time without being in the same conference. and the RRS will always be played, regardless. Yeah you are right, ou is "destroying" UT every year even though they have all been one possession games.. wonder what you call Bama vs TN? abomination?