What ya muscicians learning?

I went a little nuts. I got about a dozen song books from the library and I've been learning a bunch of stuff from the 60's through the early 2000's.

The ones I'm getting down pat are a couple Van Morrison tunes (And it stoned me; Caravan), the who's Behind Blue Eyes, Bowie's Space Oddity, and Stone Temple Pilots' Interstate Love Song

I try to keep 30+ songs in performance quality at any given time and some cycle in and out.

tonight ive worked my way back into 1979 and I’m pumped because I sorted out some new voicings, and added bass notes.

sounds nicer than I used to play it.

This week I'm working on my fingerpicking, so I've been learning Dust in the Wind, House of the Rising Sun, Blackbird, and Under The Bridge.

I started out trying to learn Heart's Crazy On You but that intro proved difficult

This week I'm working on my fingerpicking, so I've been learning Dust in the Wind, House of the Rising Sun, Blackbird, and Under The Bridge.

I started out trying to learn Heart's Crazy On You but that intro proved difficult
Try “Classical Gas” when I was going through my finger-picking phase that one took me weeks to master.

Try “Classical Gas” when I was going through my finger-picking phase that one took me weeks to master.
Loved that song as a kid, haven't heard it on a long time. Probably harder on a steel string, right?

I got the Fender Play app year subscription for half price at Christmas, so I'm working through it, along with the Guitar Aerobics and the Learn and Master Guitar (had previously) books.

I like the Fender Play app, since the lessons are short, but to the point and has you playing riffs and short/easy songs to help keep you motivated. The Aerobics book is nice for certain techniques to help challenge you, while the Learn and Master has a little more music theory put forth in the beginning.

I got the Fender Play app year subscription for half price at Christmas, so I'm working through it, along with the Guitar Aerobics and the Learn and Master Guitar (had previously) books.

I like the Fender Play app, since the lessons are short, but to the point and has you playing riffs and short/easy songs to help keep you motivated. The Aerobics book is nice for certain techniques to help challenge you, while the Learn and Master has a little more music theory put forth in the beginning.
Here's my instructor:IMG_20210123_145355~2.jpg

Loved that song as a kid, haven't heard it on a long time. Probably harder on a steel string, right?
Nah. I’m sure it’s meant for classical guitars but I’ve never had one. I learned it in small chunks. Took a few weeks to go beginning to end with no fuck ups.

I use a service called HDpiano (the wife uses it mostly,TBH). It has a decent selection of songs, from easy to very advanced.

I have been fingerpicking for a little bit on acoustic. First time I really tried, before it was either strum or pick. But I had become fairly tired of the electric right now and was looking for something different so I fnally picked up that acoustic that has been gathering dust in the corner for over a decade and started to noodle around on it. Relearned dust in the wind. Currently trying to completely memorize and play Just Breathe, House of the Rising Sun, Wonderful Tonight, and Good Riddance. I figure another 2 weeks to have them down. I am really liking this style and found good instruction online for it.

Im so into it and enjoying it so much, I'm going to purchase a new Taylor acoustic. Looking at the Academy 12e or the 114e. Currently paying on a Yamaha 411. It's not bad, but the feel and sound on a new Taylor is way better.

Last edited:
I have been fingerpicking for a little bit on acoustic. First time I really tried, before it was either strum or pick. But I had become fairly tired of the electric right now and was looking for something different so I fnally picked up that acoustic that has been gathering dust in the corner for over a decade and started to noodle around on it. Relearned dust in the wind. Currently trying to completely memorize and play Just Breathe, House of the Rising Sun, Wonderful Tonight, and Good Riddance. I figure another 2 weeks to have them down. I am really liking this style and found good instruction online for it.

Im so into it and enjoying it so much, I'm going to purchase a new Taylor acoustic. Looking at the Academy 12e or the 114e. Currently paying on a Yamaha 411. It's not bad, but the feel and sound on a new Taylor is way better.
I bought a cheap fender acoustic for 100$, and I'm not thrilled with it. Of course I still haven't had it set up properly, but I don't think that will change much about the sound. It has a ton of bass in it. I got a nice hard case out of it, though, so it wasn't a bad deal.

If I get a chance to upgrade to a Taylor or a Martin, or even a Takamine or Yamaha, I'll hang on to the hardshell.

I bought a cheap fender acoustic for 100$, and I'm not thrilled with it. Of course I still haven't had it set up properly, but I don't think that will change much about the sound. It has a ton of bass in it. I got a nice hard case out of it, though, so it wasn't a bad deal.

If I get a chance to upgrade to a Taylor or a Martin, or even a Takamine or Yamaha, I'll hang on to the hardshell.
Takamine is a good choice for a budget guitar.

My local store has a large Taylor selection. Gonna stick with it, probably.

Been working on this for the past week or so. I used to listen to this and think that guy's fingers were flying all over the fretboard. It's actually not that complicated (but still not exactly (easy):

Finger picking is the only way I can play guitar. I can do the Jerry Reed style or use banjo picks, but not a straight picker. Use banjo picks on the mandolin too.

First instrument I ever picked up was a fiddle, so picking didn’t come natural.

Finger picking is the only way I can play guitar. I can do the Jerry Reed style or use banjo picks, but not a straight picker. Use banjo picks on the mandolin too.

First instrument I ever picked up was a fiddle, so picking didn’t come natural.
Because I played Bass for so long, I can't hardly use a flatpick. I mean I can strum with it, but after about 4-5 bars I put the pick in my mouth and just strum with my fingers or my thumb.

I've always loved a good fiddle and wanted to learn, I might pick up a cheap used one off CL and give it a try. There's lots of online resources for self-teaching instruments. And a little violin won't take up as much room as another guitar, so the ol lady shouldn't complain too much

Because I played Bass for so long, I can't hardly use a flatpick. I mean I can strum with it, but after about 4-5 bars I put the pick in my mouth and just strum with my fingers or my thumb.

I've always loved a good fiddle and wanted to learn, I might pick up a cheap used one off CL and give it a try. There's lots of online resources for self-teaching instruments. And a little violin won't take up as much room as another guitar, so the ol lady shouldn't complain too much
I have a 75 dollar Japanese fiddle that sounds just as good as the one I’d rather not say how much I spent on. I learned the fiddle pretty quick. The hardest thing for you would probably be getting used to no frets and getting smooth with the bow.