Whitesox to try to pry Tony Larussa out of retirement with booze and money

Oh good. I do see chatter on this. You know, I was raised by a traditionalist and have rather traditional values for the game. But, I find them eroding more and more as time goes on.

I get the aspect of not swinging at a 3-0 when you’re up 12 runs as a general sportsmanship. But, aren’t we past that at this level? Where every pitch taken and swing made can end up being part of an arbitration.

OK, grown men can get angry. We should do everything we can so that the practice of guys fighting and clearing the benches never starts happening aga......oh....wait.

There seriously isn’t an angle I can see as to exactly why this should be an unwritten rule.

I’m just waiting for this proponent of such an unwritten rules to come up with “think of the children”. Fuck that. I taught my girls if it’s 3-0 and it’s the pitch you want take it. I don’t care the score. I want them learning to “see it, hit it”. Score is irrelevant at this stage anyway with run limits and slaughter rules.

The fact that old man TLR is the one bitching just adds some optic fun to this.
Fuck not playing your hardest on every single play. Regardless of the score.

If a team is getting its ass kicked and wants the other team to stop trying, they should quit. Pussies.

Anyone see the video of the fan behind the dugout telling Tony to use a pinchrunner and he turns around and asks a question and then thinks about it and does it? :facepalm:
I haven't seen it, but I heard about it. Fucking amazing.

They were an odds on favorite to run away with the division, and they're floundering around .500. I haven't paid much attention to baseball this year, but I have to imagine that a big part of the problem there at the Cell is the fact that they've got Father Time managing the team.

I haven't seen it, but I heard about it. Fucking amazing.

They were an odds on favorite to run away with the division, and they're floundering around .500. I haven't paid much attention to baseball this year, but I have to imagine that a big part of the problem there at the Cell is the fact that they've got Father Time managing the team.
He’s not helped matters for sure, but to be fair, they have been one of the more injury riddled teams in the Majors this year too.

Minus 32 run differential it's amazing they have a winning record.

they've outperformed their pythag by 4 games (59-66). It's a decent gap but not insane. There's been a lot of regression from last year's key contributors (Moncada, Grandal, Lynn, Giolito, Leury Garcia (yeah he was never great, but he went from ~2 WAR to almost a full win below replacement level)). Most of their pitching WAR this year has come from Cease/Kopech/Cueto and most of their position player WAR is from Abreu/Robert.

they've outperformed their pythag by 4 games (59-66). It's a decent gap but not insane. There's been a lot of regression from last year's key contributors (Moncada, Grandal, Lynn, Giolito, Leury Garcia (yeah he was never great, but he went from ~2 WAR to almost a full win below replacement level)). Most of their pitching WAR this year has come from Cease/Kopech/Cueto and most of their position player WAR is from Abreu/Robert.
And Robert hasn’t been healthy all year.

I think losing Crochet for the entire season was a bigger blow than people realize.

And Robert hasn’t been healthy all year.

I think losing Crochet for the entire season was a bigger blow than people realize.

hopefully Jimenez and Robert can stay healthy, it would suck to see young talents like them not pan out.

hopefully Jimenez and Robert can stay healthy, it would suck to see young talents like them not pan out.
Robert is a rare talent imo. First series I ever saw him play that first year they brought him up I assumed future superstar out of him. He’s the complete package.

He has managed to cut the Ks down pretty well this year despite playing hurt. Hope for his sake next season is a full one for him.

Robert is a rare talent imo. First series I ever saw him play that first year they brought him up I assumed future superstar out of him. He’s the complete package.

He has managed to cut the Ks down pretty well this year despite playing hurt. Hope for his sake next season is a full one for him.

agreed, I think he's the better of the two. Robert's got an interesting profile. Plenty of power, walks are not part of his game but he's managed to bring his K% down from 32.2% to 18.3% in just two years. Enough speed and power that he seems like he should be able to maintain high BABIPs with how many ground balls and line drives he hits.

I feel like Starling Marte is a good comp. ZiPS had Rondell White as a comp.

Last edited:
agreed, I think he's the better of the two. Robert's got an interesting profile. Plenty of power, walks are not part of his game but he's managed to bring his K% down from 32.2% to 18.3% in just two years. Enough speed and power that he seems like he should be able to maintain high BABIPs with how many ground balls and line drives he hits.

I feel like Starling Marte is a good comp. ZiPS had Rondell White as a comp.
Marte is prolly a good comp. I feel like Robert has more power, but maybe not.

I kinda see him as an Andre Dawson type. I don’t watch him everyday or anything, but feel like he’s an exceptional defensive center fielder.

He's kind of white, but being Italian can we say he's really white?

Kind of an olive complected muthafucka :laugh: (the line is near the end but the whole thing is funny)

Last edited:
Tony-La-Russa-DUI-Arrest-Video-This-Guys-Like-The-Michael-Jordan-Of-Baseball.jpg