Who here owns a smoker?

If you don't own a smoker, this is a very interesting promotion. Basically saying their crap won't last 5 years, but also a pretty good deal. Just pay $100 for a new pellet grill every 5 years.
That is interesting. One might assume it’s trying to get you hooked on the wood pellets, but the price there has dropped considerably in recent years. I wonder how durable these grills really are, if they need replacement every 5 years.

Maybe plan your next 4-6 big Xmas presents for people over the coming decades?

Fixin' to go on the smoker here in about an hour. A good friend of mine (and everybody really) passed away a few months ago. He had his 50th B-day party planned at the local dive bar. Band and all.
We're throwing the party for him anyway cause that's how we roll in a small town.
View attachment 120692

All done and resting for a couple hours.

Not sure what I think about the 'Meater' bluetooth temperature probe. Just different than the digital probe on the Masterbuilt. Start to finish time was basically the same, but the stall temp on the 'Meater' was considerably higher than I'm used to with the built in probe.
Screenshot_20240607_113008_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240607_113016_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240607_113023_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
All done and resting for a couple hours.

Not sure what I think about the 'Meater' bluetooth temperature probe. Just different than the digital probe on the Masterbuilt. Start to finish time was basically the same, but the stall temp on the 'Meater' was considerably higher than I'm used to with the built in probe.
View attachment 120722View attachment 120723
View attachment 120724
Beautiful bark, dude! I'm jealous. Are these butts for gifts or some kind of banquet?

Beautiful bark, dude! I'm jealous. Are these butts for gifts or some kind of banquet?

A buddy of mine passed away a few months ago.
He'd already planned his 50th B-day party at the local dive bar (band and all). Today would have been his 50th B-day, so we're throwing the B-day party for him anyway.

He was well loved by all, so there will be a couple hundred there.

Time to get a new grill. I would ultimately like some kinda combo deal. Gas, charcoal and pellet smoker, maybe?

What should I get?

Time to get a new grill. I would ultimately like some kinda combo deal. Gas, charcoal and pellet smoker, maybe?

What should I get?
Just from my experience, the combos work good as grills but not so much as smokers. I still use the grill on this thing, but the only thing I use the firebox for anymore is to hold the chimney starter when I'm getting the grill started.

1224_3_Lifestyle_Angle.jpg

I found that I could cook like ribs and chicken pretty easily, but longer smokes were harder to work with the firebox. Briskets would piss me off, one time I smoked one for 15 hours and it still wouldn't finish, wound up having to finish it in the oven.

My brother in law had a charcoal/gas combo and found that he didn't mind waiting the extra 10 minutes or whatever it wound up being to wait for the charcoal to be ready than it was to cook on charcoal. And he wound up buying a cabinet smoker for pretty much the same reason I bought a separate smoker.

I have this as my smoker, and the above as my grill. I've got like an 8 x 3 section of my yard set up to hold the grill and smoker next to each other
pbc_chicken_20eb3360-1383-4478-b7cd-04e8e3dce6b9_375x.png

Thissun looks nice...

I like that idea....

I had an Oklahoma Joes before, and it was great. The one I had was all charcoal and it fit six racks of ribs perfectly.

What I did was count 20 briquets and started them in one of those briquet starter things and after twenty minutes I would add them to the fire box. This kept the heat consistent and once I dialed it in as far as how many briquets I used each hour I could adjust to the temperature outside so on those colder days in the fall I would bump it up to 25-28 briquets then on those warm summer days I'd lower it to maybe 15-18 briquets. That was my heat source and a way to burn my pellets I used for smoke. I would take two cups of pellets and soak them in water. By soaking them in water they didn't burn as fast and by throwing them on the briquets a handful every 20 minutes it kept the smoke consistent. It was a bit of labor intensive the way I did it but the results were awesome.

Then I switch to a Green Mountain Pellet Smoker/BBQ which has been great too but with a few setbacks. I got a 12 volt version so incase the power went out I could run it off a car battery. However, the one time I was using it while the power was out I hooked up the leads backwards....oppps and it fried the circuit board and I had to get a new one. Then the pellet starter went bad and I've had to replace that several times. Both easy fixes and didn't coast that much. I also like the idea that I can crank it up to 400 and BBQ on it too but that has it's downfalls as well. If I've been smoking a lot of meat and decide I want to grill a couple of steaks when I turn it up to 425 the smoker now starts to burn off all the drippings I created from smoking and it will flair up and smoke like hell until everything is burned off.

However, you won't have those problems with what you posted, and you could use chunks of wood in the firebox to create both heat and smoke.

I ended up getting this one...which I believe is just the updated Longhorn. Same price.

Which, btw their price point is pretty impressive. Like half the cost of a Pit Boss of similar stature.

Just from my experience, the combos work good as grills but not so much as smokers. I still use the grill on this thing, but the only thing I use the firebox for anymore is to hold the chimney starter when I'm getting the grill started.

I found that I could cook like ribs and chicken pretty easily, but longer smokes were harder to work with the firebox. Briskets would piss me off, one time I smoked one for 15 hours and it still wouldn't finish, wound up having to finish it in the oven.

My brother in law had a charcoal/gas combo and found that he didn't mind waiting the extra 10 minutes or whatever it wound up being to wait for the charcoal to be ready than it was to cook on charcoal. And he wound up buying a cabinet smoker for pretty much the same reason I bought a separate smoker.

I have this as my smoker, and the above as my grill. I've got like an 8 x 3 section of my yard set up to hold the grill and smoker next to each other
I am a noob for smoking. I've done smaller stuff, but nothing like a brisket.

We've had a pretty shitty gas grill forever. It was time to upgrade. Looking forward to charcoal. It's been awhile.

I am a noob for smoking. I've done smaller stuff, but nothing like a brisket.

We've had a pretty shitty gas grill forever. It was time to upgrade. Looking forward to charcoal. It's been awhile.
We bought the Char-Griller for my dad like 20 years ago or something. It's held up pretty well, and we cooked a lot on it. There are ways to make it work a bit better, but at the end of the day, a lot of smoker/grill combos wind up being not great unless you're putting out $2-$3K per.

I do know a couple of people with the pellet grill/smoker deals that say they work pretty well. I haven't cooked on them much, so I can't really say how easy they are or aren't to work with.

The Ugly Drum Smoker
It's brilliant

Back