Who here owns a smoker?

i do work for yoder smokers

best there is IMO
Was thinking about a Yoder flat top. After some experience, I've determined charcoal is always best, though I can appreciate the limitations of my ceramic smokers, particularly as a grill. The Yoder ain't cheap, but it can function as a true grill, in addition to smoking.

Was thinking about a Yoder flat top. After some experience, I've determined charcoal is always best, though I can appreciate the limitations of my ceramic smokers, particularly as a grill. The Yoder ain't cheap, but it can function as a true grill, in addition to smoking.
i do their thermocouples. simple, basic shit. one of my guys loves his yoder as a smoker. the grill sucks ass, but the smoker rule.s

i do their thermocouples. simple, basic shit. one of my guys loves his yoder as a smoker. the grill sucks ass, but the smoker rule.s
Gotta be better as a grill than my BGEs. The grate material can be replaced by cast iron, fairly cheaply.

Gotta be better as a grill than my BGEs. The grate material can be replaced by cast iron, fairly cheaply.
my guy hugh loves his meats. lives and dies by red meat.

hates the grill, adores the smoker. i actually gave him the account because he uses their smoker so much.

Just got 600 pounds of pellets the other day.

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

@SU Nittany Tide
I have to ask.
How many pounds of pellets do you use in single cook.
Maybe it's more than I'm thinking.
Totally depends on what you're doing. A pork butt takes me 16-18 hours and that might be close to 10 pounds. Jerky or almonds probably only take a half pound if that. Ribs probably take a pound or two. 600 pounds will last me probably 3-5 years.

I picked one up last year and it does everything I need and easy to use.
Electric?
I really like the electric. With the wood chips in it, it has a good flavor. The best is that they keep a constant temperature.

Electric?
I really like the electric. With the wood chips in it, it has a good flavor. The best is that they keep a constant temperature.

Yes. Only issue I've had was the tube insert for the wood chips got warped and made it difficult to add chips during the cook. Had to make some modifications to it to use for shorter cooks, but for any thing where I'd add more than a couple series of chips, I just use the A-Maze-N pellet maze. Don't have to open the smoker at all for a full 12+ your cook with that.

Got one of those small ones just like this. Does a helluva job for the few times I actually use it. I need to use it more.

Turkeys are a cinch to toss in for about 10-12 hours. Maybe do a ham this weekend.

View attachment 1280

My Bradley unit. Good enough for my needs.

download (2).png

my guy says the grill sucks but the smokers great, i dunno. i dont own one.

Ok, I can't imagine it sucking. Looks well built. Adjustable rack, easy to set up multi zone cooking, plenty of room.

Ok, I can't imagine it sucking. Looks well built. Adjustable rack, easy to set up multi zone cooking, plenty of room.
youd think but hugh knows his grilling. i turst his opinion.

If you want to start it and walk away for hours at a time, have to go with the pellet smoker.
If you want to sit around drinking beer shooting the shit stoking the fire and moving meat in and out of hot spots, then it's the Offset Smoker.

A new offset is expensive for a good one.
And the pellet ones aren't cheap, but not what the offsets are.

You can buy cheap on either one, but you will regret it later.
We went with this about seven years ago, burn wood we split(using charcoal only to start the fire and warm the chamber. We paid more for it than a WalMart special but it is heavy duty and the fire box has held up exceptionally well due to the heavy gage metal.
EDIT: forgot the pic here is the link https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/smoke-canyon-vertical-smoker-with-offset-firebox

I have a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker. Use it most weekends. It’s a lot easier than a standard offset smoker, but you don’t get the same depth of smoke. For me, the convenience is worth the compromise, but they’re not exactly the same.
I am trying to talk my son into buying one primarily because he is stuck on high and fast cooking due to his work and five kids. He grills, not smokes and there is a huge difference.

Smoking a big ass salmon filet has become a Christmas tradition at my house

Last edited:
What's wrong with Jun-Oct? I use my smoker year round.
I have something cooking on either a grill or smoker at least once a week...every week of the year....sometimes more often than that. I cook about half the meals my wife and I eat ...outdoors.

I have a large covered patio that I can move under if the weather gets bad...

I enjoy cooking outside.

I have something cooking on either a grill or smoker at least once a week...every week of the year....sometimes more often than that. I cook about half the meals my wife and I eat ...outdoors.

I have a large covered patio that I can move under if the weather gets bad...

I enjoy cooking outside.

Copy that. I cook year round, even when the temp is in the single digits. Gets to be a pain having to shovel snow around the grille in the winter but well worth the effort.