Who here owns a smoker?

I can't stand that!

People walking around like cave people gnawing on huge pieces of meat. It's gross.
got any photos of yer stems? Asking for a friend. With a smoker.

he Mrs got a relatively small Weber charcoal smoker.

If its the Weber Smokey Mountain it's one of the one's I started with and still have. I have an offset and a drum smoker also. And yet I hardly use any of them lately. Because unless I am cooking for a large group....I just use my Weber kettle. It's just too easy to do it that way and it gives me something to do while I sit outside drinking beer and watching the wildlife....

If you want to start it and walk away for hours at a time, have to go with the pellet smoker.
If you want to sit around drinking beer shooting the shit stoking the fire and moving meat in and out of hot spots, then it's the Offset Smoker.

A new offset is expensive for a good one.
And the pellet ones aren't cheap, but not what the offsets are.

You can buy cheap on either one, but you will regret it later.
Good info. The offset is probably just super aspirational at this point. I know I could operate it. I know I would be good tending it. But the cost could be a thing. Same with the pellet smoker.

My regular Weber grill is 16 years old. Debating whether I’m going to replace the burner, etc again or go with a new one (the frame is falling to shit, the rest of it is solid).

That’s why I thought of the electric smoker. Brother and Dad each have one. It’s effective and produces good product....but it always feels antiseptic and disconnected to me. Very little user interaction with it.

Will see. Smoking is more of a Nov-May thing for me, so I’ve got some time to decide.

Good info. The offset is probably just super aspirational at this point. I know I could operate it. I know I would be good tending it. But the cost could be a thing. Same with the pellet smoker.

My regular Weber grill is 16 years old. Debating whether I’m going to replace the burner, etc again or go with a new one (the frame is falling to shit, the rest of it is solid).

That’s why I thought of the electric smoker. Brother and Dad each have one. It’s effective and produces good product....but it always feels antiseptic and disconnected to me. Very little user interaction with it.

Will see. Smoking is more of a Nov-May thing for me, so I’ve got some time to decide.
Weber smoky mountain will be better than an electric smoker. You can usually find them used for 150 give or take. Not work of offset, but not set and forget

Harry Soo is one more accomplished pit Masters and uses a WSM for competition

Offset, charcoal, pellet, electric, propane all will have different flavor profiles, but I'm of belief its cook not the cooker.

Weber smoky mountain will be better than an electric smoker. You can usually find them used for 150 give or take. Not work of offset, but not set and forget

Harry Soo is one more accomplished pit Masters and uses a WSM for competition

Offset, charcoal, pellet, electric, propane all will have different flavor profiles, but I'm of belief its cook not the cooker.
Great tip, pnk. Thanks for that. I’m going to look into this too.

If you want to start it and walk away for hours at a time, have to go with the pellet smoker.
If you want to sit around drinking beer shooting the shit stoking the fire and moving meat in and out of hot spots, then it's the Offset Smoker.

A new offset is expensive for a good one.
And the pellet ones aren't cheap, but not what the offsets are.

You can buy cheap on either one, but you will regret it later.

That pretty much sums the whole smoking gig up
Personally I have the offset stick burner, it's my excuse to sit out back all day and drink beer and crank the music and just relax

What's wrong with Jun-Oct? I use my smoker year round.
Mostly being a pussy. It gets about 93-94 every day and humid outside. Between keeping the lawn and outside and wood working some in the garage I get enough of the sweating. So I just gravitate away from it.

Mostly being a pussy. It gets about 93-94 every day and humid outside. Between keeping the lawn and outside and wood working some in the garage I get enough of the sweating. So I just gravitate away from it.
But it's not like you have to stand over it dude.

Set it and forget it

:beer2:

But it's not like you have to stand over it dude.

Set it and forget it

True, which leads me back to my first post in here. The Mrs got me a charcoal burning Weber smoker.

While I don’t have to stand over it, it’s not set it and forget it either lol.

Maybe the truth being illuminated through this discussion is I am really just not digging this little charcoal smoker, and I’m just finding excuses to not use it lol.

I will own it :beer2:

True, which leads me back to my first post in here. The Mrs got me a charcoal burning Weber smoker.

While I don’t have to stand over it, it’s not set it and forget it either lol.

Maybe the truth being illuminated through this discussion is I am really just not digging this little charcoal smoker, and I’m just finding excuses to not use it lol.

I will own it :beer2:

View attachment 2444

Smoked some oxtail for lunch yesterday just to change it up. They were good but I would take the extra step of braising in the Dutch oven to make them even more tender next time

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Nothing too fancy, but it is easy and works great.
I picked one up last year and it does everything I need and easy to use.

Attachments

• 20200802_153142.jpg
    20200802_153142.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200328_193934.jpg
    20200328_193934.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Mine blew up this past weekend. Nothing serious but with smokers, if for some reason it "unexpectedly" kicks off, you have to allow the cool down period for all of the lit pellets in the pot to burn out before you turn it back on again. I did not do that and the pot overflowed with burning pellets causing an explosion.

At least my baby back ribs turned out okay :yes:

Mine blew up this past weekend. Nothing serious but with smokers, if for some reason it "unexpectedly" kicks off, you have to allow the cool down period for all of the lit pellets in the pot to burn out before you turn it back on again. I did not do that and the pot overflowed with burning pellets causing an explosion.

At least my baby back ribs turned out okay :yes:

All that means is you get to go shopping for a new one!

Got a Traeger 3 years ago and love the hell out of it. Already made the standard baby back ribs, brisket, boston butt, and various other dishes. Still have a prime rib roast on my bucket list
i do work for yoder smokers

best there is IMO

All that means is you get to go shopping for a new one!

There wasn't any damage, just a lot of quick heat build up that blew the drip screen up about a foot or so. Used it yesterday to grille some corn and all is right with the world.

I have a Green Mountain. Love it. Just got 600 pounds of pellets the other day.

I have a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker. Use it most weekends. It’s a lot easier than a standard offset smoker, but you don’t get the same depth of smoke. For me, the convenience is worth the compromise, but they’re not exactly the same.