Why the SEC doesn't want FSU and Clemson ...

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
I've maintained for some time that the SEC won't take Clemson and FSU because most of the league doesn't want two more top teams. Hell, even UGA and Bama don't want any more tough games. We have plenty already.

Here are ESPN's toughest schedules per FPI ... and yes, I know a single snap hasn't been taken, but:

- Top 8 schedules
- 9 of the top 10
- 12 of the top 20
- 15 of the top 25 (only Missouri not in the Top 25)
- The only team in the top 25 not in the P2 is Georgia Tech.

Oh, and for the current discussion we are having about Clemson wanting to move from the ACC, note that neither Clemson nor FSU are in the top 25. Do they really want this smoke?

Another thread proving the $EC is

Floyd Mayweather A Little Bit Overrated GIF by VH1

I wouldn't mind FSU in the SEC if you paired them with ND

No, they want the money. If the money were the same they’d probably be just fine staying in the ACC. If not, they’re dumb as a rock.
Like I said, over and over, be careful what you ask for. You can have the money, but if they don't get to the CFP how's that going to work out?

Bottom line, if the media partners think it’s worth it and will pay the right price then FSU, Clemson, UNC, or Po Dunk Sisters of the blind U will be invited to the SEC or BIG or any other conference.
It makes not one difference how many games this or that school wins or loses, it’s about money, the entire reason schools have football programs to begin with. Like it or not (I’m not a huge fan FTR) CFB is going with NFL type model so more losses are coming.

Like I said, over and over, be careful what you ask for. You can have the money, but if they don't get to the CFP how's that going to work out?
The list is long with schools that won't get to the CFP and a bunch of them are in the P2. But they are willing to give that up as long as the money is rolling in.

And any school in the G5, Big 12 and ACC would give it up just to cash those big checks. Hell, the only ones from two of those three that will get in are probably the conference champs.

Bottom line, if the media partners think it’s worth it and will pay the right price then FSU, Clemson, UNC, or Po Dunk Sisters of the blind U will be invited to the SEC or BIG or any other conference.
It makes not one difference how many games this or that school wins or loses, it’s about money, the entire reason schools have football programs to begin with. Like it or not (I’m not a huge fan FTR) CFB is going with NFL type model so more losses are coming.
Happy Fx Networks GIF by Cake FX

Except....the SEC has tried to get both to join in the past, both chose to move or stay in the ACC.

Because both programs are soft?

FSU and Clemson would be great additions to the B1G. Adding another region to the conference footprint could only mean more money.

FSU and Clemson would be great additions to the B1G. Adding another region to the conference footprint could only mean more money.
Except it will never be Clemson and FSU is waiting a few more years anyway.

SEC: Our schedules are so difficult, we can't justify making them harder by adding Clemson or FSU.

Also SEC: Clemson doesn't want this smoke.

I love the duality of SEC fans
Those statments aren't mutually exclusive.

- No one with a brain is denying that those are the last 2 teams that have the value to get a a full share in a P2. It's close on Clemson, but they are.

- They have a little more value to the B1G because (1) they have taken a national approach while the SEC has chosen to remain regional, and (2) the SEC already has teams in the Florida and SC.

- The SEC has the most top teams, so there is a serious question as to why the non-top teams in the SEC would want more guaranteed losses.

- To your "also" point, Clemson wouldn't have made it in the CFP-12 in 2 of the last 3 years playing in a far weaker conference. So, no, they won't want the smoke they will get with a tougher P2 schedule, IF you exclude the money aspect from it and look at it competitively. If they feel the extra money is worth losing their "top of the conference" position, they'll make the jump as soon as they are clear from the GOR.

There is no duality. Just some of us think a little deeper into things than others.

This is just not true. The strawman that media partners control the SEC and B1G is some serious misstatement as to what it really going on. Sure, it's true that media partners have to agree to add someone the conference wants. But the idea that a media partner is going to go to the SEC/B1G and say you have to take so and so is absurd, IMO.

The NFL has a lot of losses because of parity which is baked into the business model. It's not baked into CFB and never can be because you can never make a player go play in Toledo or Minneapolis unless they want to. There will never be a situation where some schools ever have a chance of winning a conference or a national title. What's important is that they win enough to keep fan interest. Adding more good teams to the SEC doesn't do that where they are today.

IF you exclude the money aspect from it and look at it competitively.

Most of your post is just rehashing what you've already said. This is the only point worth discussing. I don't think people realize how much of a financial gap there's going to be between the P2 and everyone else. You won't be able to stay competitive nationally if you aren't in the P2 (ND excluded as long as their media deal remains comparable). Clemson won't be able to do what they did from 2015-2020 in the future if they remain in the ACC. The P5 dynamic no longer exists. FSU and Clemson have to leave. These are programs that have ambitions beyond just winning the ACC.

Back