Why the SEC doesn't want FSU and Clemson ...

Yeah, that's unknown. If ND is ranked 1-4 in the final CFP poll they will be #5. If ND is #5 heading into CCG week, it would likely depend on what happens in the CCG's. Nothing would be certain in your scenario.
Is that actually written into the rules?

If not, let's say no. 1 Bama plays no. 3 UGA. ND is no. 4. Whichever SEC team loses should be no. 5, not ND. You should not get rewarded for not playing in a CCG.

Is that actually written into the rules?

If not, let's say no. 1 Bama plays no. 3 UGA. ND is no. 4. Whichever SEC team loses should be no. 5, not ND. You should not get rewarded for not playing in a CCG.

I guess theoretically they could fall to 6, in this scenario. From ND's perspective this will probably only come into play if they are 12-0. If they are 12-0, I have a hard time seeing them not being #5. Even at 11-1, I doubt they'd be in the top 4 to begin with. In that case I can definitely see an 11-2 SECCG loser being ranked ahead of an 11-1 ND.

The elephant in the room for ND is that their schedules are getting less and less competitive with the P2. It's going to be impossible to put together a competitive schedule when FSU/Clemson leave the ACC if ND still has their agreement with the ACC. Will the Big Ten or SEC be willing to create a similar agreement with ND or would they play hard ball and force their hand?

No, but I don't think ND will have any trouble putting together a schedule. It won't cost ND as much to back out of the ACC deal. If FSU and Clemson leave, my guess is ND follows. Honestly, if we were ever to join a league the ACC is a much better fit than the B10 is IMO. Obviously that wont happen if FSU and Clemson leave.
I'm agnostic about ND. I neither love them nor hate them. That being said, as a CFB fan in general, I'd rather watch ND play a B1G schedule than an ACC schedule (even with Clemson and FSU). That's not even close for me.

I'm agnostic about ND. I neither love them nor hate them. That being said, as a CFB fan in general, I'd rather watch ND play a B1G schedule than an ACC schedule (even with Clemson and FSU). That's not even close for me.

I get that. It's really the diversity with the schedule. The league now has teams in California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, PA and NC. Hitting all those spots from a recruiting standpoint is important.

And at some point NBC is going to question what the hell they are paying for. NBC has a ND lineup that includes NIU, Miami (OH), Louisville, Stanford, FSU, Virginia and Army. Now imagine they lose FSU.

Billy is fucked. Wonder if we finally get a good coach next season or if our AD will make us suffer an extra year

And at some point NBC is going to question what the hell they are paying for. NBC has a ND lineup that includes NIU, Miami (OH), Louisville, Stanford, FSU, Virginia and Army. Now imagine they lose FSU.

NBC just agreed to a contract extension with ND through the 2029 season for $50million per year. I agree the home slate is really weak(though the FSU game should probably do 6 million+). Last year NBC got the OSU and USC games. Which combined for over 16.5 million viewers. The ND/OSU game was the 3rd highest rated regular season game. NBC is all in on sports. Between paying for the B1G package, and the NBA, they are putting a premium on live sports. If you think the ND slate is bad this year, look what they had with the B1G last year in some of those games.

The biggest difference b/t the Euro Super League and the P2 optioning out of the NCAA for their own division is that the Euro Super League does not replace domestic competition. It's a direct replacement for the UCL, or at least that's how i understood it. The biggest similarity is that it was an attempt to break away from FIFA control in the same way my mythical CFB Super League would break away from NCAA control.
So I thought the Super League was to replace league competition. I could be off on that and what you stated makes sense on that replacing the UCL. I still don’t see it happening in CFB until the money is there.

The elephant in the room for ND is that their schedules are getting less and less competitive with the P2. It's going to be impossible to put together a competitive schedule when FSU/Clemson leave the ACC if ND still has their agreement with the ACC. Will the Big Ten or SEC be willing to create a similar agreement with ND or would they play hard ball and force their hand?
I could be egregiously wrong and up until recently I would have argued the B1G or SEC would never give ND the deal they are currently getting from the ACC but now I'm not so sure under the present conditions.

As things stand right now I think both the B1G and SEC would offer an ACC type deal with ND to get the ratings but it would also come with the caveat that like the ACC deal if ND were to join a conference it would have to be with the one that did the deal. At that point I think it just takes the B1G and SEC to decide they are forming a super division between the two of them with cutting out the rest of CFB and creating a championship just between the two leagues. At that point they can force ND's hand and they can join or move down.

Now that ratings rule economics and not cable packages it makes complete sense to make the deal with ND where it didn't before. I'd have no issue with the SEC cutting a deal with them and until recently that would never have come out of my mouth.

I'd have no issue with the SEC cutting a deal with them and until recently that would never have come out of my mouth.
Relax princess, TEXAS will decide who they want in their conference.. go back to film study for New Mexico and try not embarrassing the conference... again.

Relax princess, TEXAS will decide who they want in their conference.. go back to film study for New Mexico and try not embarrassing the conference... again.
Back in the box gimp.

I could be egregiously wrong and up until recently I would have argued the B1G or SEC would never give ND the deal they are currently getting from the ACC but now I'm not so sure under the present conditions.

As things stand right now I think both the B1G and SEC would offer an ACC type deal with ND to get the ratings but it would also come with the caveat that like the ACC deal if ND were to join a conference it would have to be with the one that did the deal. At that point I think it just takes the B1G and SEC to decide they are forming a super division between the two of them with cutting out the rest of CFB and creating a championship just between the two leagues. At that point they can force ND's hand and they can join or move down.

Now that ratings rule economics and not cable packages it makes complete sense to make the deal with ND where it didn't before. I'd have no issue with the SEC cutting a deal with them and until recently that would never have come out of my mouth.
Explain the economics. How does cutting out 2/3 of your viewer base make your product more profitable?

Explain the economics. How does cutting out 2/3 of your viewer base make your product more profitable?
The goal is 4mm people watching a particular game and get 3mm to 2mm for the lesser properties.

The B1G and SEC can do that. Doesn’t mean they won’t ever play the other teams just that they will lock up the championship for their separate division.

Also having a seperate division doesn’t mean the other college football fans are going to shun the big 2 and not watch.

The goal is 4mm people watching a particular game and get 3mm to 2mm for the lesser properties.

The B1G and SEC can do that. Doesn’t mean they won’t ever play the other teams just that they will lock up the championship for their separate division.

Also having a seperate division doesn’t mean the other college football fans are going to shun the big 2 and not watch.
Yeah, it kind of does, especially for the CFP, which drives 33% of the revenues for the P2.

Relegating the rest of the P4 teams simply makes no economic sense. Period. Eliminating the other non-P2 conferences doesn't drive any more 4+ million games.

Back